Stamp - store pool access closed???

Please..Can someone post a comment with some semblance of intelligence
The fishing trends very from year to year,decade to decade...
Ask any of the guides that make a living from fishing this river..They'll tell you about the trends however,the more disturbing truths are 1) what the hatchery is doing(or not doing in this case) and 2) the invasive white slime on the river bottom that has ruined the food chain..
Between these 3 things alone,has led to the recent demise...So you jet boat haters...Zip it !

What "parts" of the Stamp is there a 10 hp limit? Why was it imposed and does it apply to everyone?

Is this "white slime", that is infecting the river bed introduced. I've seen that some places down south and in Europe are very insistent on cleaning boat hulls and even felt wading boots between watersheds.

The 10hp restriction was applied to ban jetboats from the river. Residents along the river were complaining about the noise. The guides that operate on the Stamp, spearheaded by David Murphy and company fought the ban in court and won. They are exempt from the 10hp restriction. They then made a gentlemans agreement with each other not to fire up there jets before 8am.

If I remember right Dr murphy one of the founders of tyee club salmon capital of the world ,tyee club based fishing as exercize in the out doors. sorry a murphy has let us down in the stewardship of this great river. never burn those calories sitting on a cold butt in a power boat.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 10hp restriction was applied to ban jetboats from the river. Residents along the river were complaining about the noise. The guides that operate on the Stamp, spearheaded by David Murphy and company fought the ban in court and won. They are exempt from the 10hp restriction. They then made a gentlemans agreement with each other not to fire up there jets before 8am.

So I speculate the regulation would be proven a waste of print, if anyone else was to challenge it. We can't be having laws that only apply to special user groups, at least among non F.N. ones. Jet boats for everyone!

You are almost correct except for one small thing, but a very important thing.

There is only one guide exempt from the 10 HP rule and his name is David Murphy. He went to court and won his case but the ruling states clearly it is only he that won, not everyone who is a guide.
Since then all the guides have used the Murphy decision to operate their greater than 10 HP engines and nobody has bothered to challenge that so that's the status now.

It would be interesting to see an appeal of the Murphy trial simply because I (and others) see quite clearly where at least two rulings were made by the judge that were very wrong but not challenged by the prosecutor.

I'm not against Dave Murphy or anyone else who guides over there but curious as to what would happen if those rulings were challenged by a more educated about the subject prosecutor who could clearly point out the incorrectness of the rulings in question.

Not going to happen methinks but it's always been interesting to me since I read through the transcripts of the trial and saw what had happened.

I'm a curious sort of guy. LOL

Take care.

You are almost correct except for one small thing, but a very important thing.

There is only one guide exempt from the 10 HP rule and his name is David Murphy. He went to court and won his case but the ruling states clearly it is only he that won, not everyone who is a guide.
Since then all the guides have used the Murphy decision to operate their greater than 10 HP engines and nobody has bothered to challenge that so that's the status now.

It would be interesting to see an appeal of the Murphy trial simply because I (and others) see quite clearly where at least two rulings were made by the judge that were very wrong but not challenged by the prosecutor.

I'm not against Dave Murphy or anyone else who guides over there but curious as to what would happen if those rulings were challenged by a more educated about the subject prosecutor who could clearly point out the incorrectness of the rulings in question.

Not going to happen methinks but it's always been interesting to me since I read through the transcripts of the trial and saw what had happened.

I'm a curious sort of guy. LOL

Take care.
Interesting. That makes sense, cause when I was out on a charter with a different guide, one that is not employed by David Murphy, I asked what would he do, if he saw a recreational angler using a jetboat, would he report that person? The guide said quote, "no I wouldn't, it would be cheesy of me to do so" unquote. I wondered why he would say that, because, I assumed that all the guides put in monies to challenge the courts on this issue. So, what your saying is there is no enforcement of this 10hp motor restriction. Interesting.

Nice to see your still curious Dave. If you look at the regs it says " 10 hp on parts". What " parts" are they referring to? Are there signs properly posted on these parts? Ive been up and down the stamp for years and not sure where these " parts" are. This is a transport Canada issue, the RCMP could really care less. Much better thing to do with there stretched budget than chase some fishing guides around the stamp river looking for " parts".

Back