Stamp River Service Road

quote:Originally posted by Roe Bags

Anyone know why the launch is closed? Don't our tax dollars pay for that hatchery? Pissed right off!!:(

Pass the Pack

Public safety concerns over the small wooden coffer dam on Sproat lake lagoon that is near to collapse. Of course, they are still allowing people to walk around the hatchery & take pictures etc. etc. Still, somehow, I think I would feel safer launching a boat when the dam breaks than just taking a hatchery walking tour, but hey, this is our Federal Government we're talking about here.[:eek:)] A deal is apparently being worked out to replace the dam, but of course, everyone involved is arguing over who should pay for it. Supposedly work will start during the next available window that DFO deems safe in regards to fish & habitat. You can still launch a boat down at the cable car pool, but the launch is a bit rough, & at very low or high water, can be a bit tricky. You can still leave a boat on the shore at the old launch site,but then access is limited to when the hatchery gate is open. I believe it is 8-3:30 now. Question still remains, will the boat launch re-open AFTER the work is done, or just remain closed. The decision comes from the paper pushers back in Ottawa, & has nothing to do with the hatchery staff at RCH. Please bear this in mind when directing any questions to them.

I thought you still have to go thru the RCH gates to access cable launch? Therefore the 830-3 times still apply? Never launched at cable always launched at the hatchery, nice easy paved launch[:D ] Guess the guides don't care as they have always left there boats uptop when fishing there. For the day users this is a bit of a pain in the butt...:(

Pass the Pack

I thought they closed the launch because Mrs Jones would sue the **** out the Goverment if Mr Jones got hurt or died launching his boat on government property.

I thought you still have to go thru the RCH gates to access cable launch? Therefore the 830-3 times still apply? Never launched at cable always launched at the hatchery, nice easy paved launch[:D ] Guess the guides don't care as they have always left there boats uptop when fishing there. For the day users this is a bit of a pain in the butt...:(

Pass the Pack

Yes, you still have to go thru the RCH gates to get to the cable car launch, & the gate times do still apply.Kinda cuts your day short on the upper river, but ya can still get a good 6 hrs of fishin' in.

Upper river Regs? Business as usual from the Ash Cony down? Sometimes they open it up top when there's a large surplus of coho? Powerlines above the lagoon to the falls? Anyone hear anything?

Pass the Pack

Looks like things have changed a bit...To clarify the lagoon is open or closed as of the 14th? The portion above the lagoon is closed or open? And as i see it the river is open from the lagoon to the falls as of OCT 15? It used to be closed from the lagoon to Ash until Nov 1, am I reading this wrong?

Pass the Pack

Looks like things have changed a bit...To clarify the lagoon is open or closed as of the 14th? The portion above the lagoon is closed or open? And as i see it the river is open from the lagoon to the falls as of OCT 15? It used to be closed from the lagoon to Ash until Nov 1, am I reading this wrong?

Pass the Pack

The river above the lagoon opens tomorrow, the 15th. The lagoon itself remains closed until Nov.1st. The river from the boundary signs at the start of the hatchery run ( bottom of the lagoon ) is open now all the way down to the closure at Stamp Falls.

Perfect!! Thanks for the clarification SS. If u and Nick are uptop tomorrow I'd love a first hand report of water conditions and fishing results;) Thinking of heading up on the weekend and a first hand report would really come in handy:D

Pass the Pack

I've got to go back to work tomorrow, but I know Nick is headed out in the AM. I'll get a report & LYK on Friday. I know they hooked a few nice ones today, but I didn't ask about the water conditions or how much it rained in Port.

Here is an update for the Stamp. Rains aplenty!! The river has risen 8-10 inches & it is still raining. Supposed to get 20-30mm today & 25-35 tomorrow. The water is still clear & fishable, although access from shore is running out as the water rises. More & more steelhead showing every day now, although the bulk of these fish are best accessed by drifting from the hatchery down to the Falls park. Not a lot of chinook spawn going on, but the coho should start dropping eggs anytime now. The fish will be keying on this, so get your single eggs tied up. Nick said he has been getting a fish or two in almost every spot they stop & fish, so they are there, just a bit spread out. You just need to keep moving around & keep casting. The majority of the fish are in great shape from lazer bolt chromers, to slightly colored up with thin red stripes. Average size seems to be a little bigger this year, with quite a few fish over 10lbs so far. Just need a break from the rain so the river doesn't blow out & all will be good.[8D]

went last nite an hour b4 dark and landed 2 wild chromers.....waters rising(a bit dirty)but def. fishable.
tite lines ladies and gents:D

below the falls....bvr crk 2 below the range.went again yest. 2 the same spot and only shook hands with 1.but i did c 2 fresh coho caught.waters lookin real nice.[8D]

fished the lower stamp last nite and landed a very fresh coho....

Back