Squidding

Islander57

Does anyone here ever go squid jigging over the winter? I'm on a group in FB from Washington State. Seems they are quite avid about squid fishing this time of year.

I fished for squid off the James island wharf in early september. It was a bit of a gong show being shoulder to shoulder people and that was on a weeknight. I guess every weekend in August was just packed there. I kept 60 in about 2 hours. From what I was told it was just dying off then and about a week after I was there the squid had moved on. CF3FD69C-08A4-48D5-9299-FBDA8EC14044.jpeg

August is typically when I go for squid. Just never tried it at this time of year. I have jigged squid around island reefs during summer, and around dusk, but nowhere near the numbers t
Been doing it over here in Port Angeles harbor forever, Having lights at night is key.
My interpretation of BC regs say only an submerged light can be used. I've got an underwater light, but I've just never tried it at this time of year. Most people here rely on a well lit wharf.

We always found them around the docks that have lights that shine on the water, Never had to bring are own lights.

Back