Spring Walleye trip to the Columbia river in Castlegar

After getting tired of winter, we loaded up the boat and headed to Castlegar to chase Walleye in the first open water trip of 2014. Unfortunately the Walleye fishing was slow, we found a few small pockets of them, but they were reluctant to bite.

We opted to camp instead of staying in a hotel, despite the extended forecast for rain for the duration of our trip. We stayed at Passcreek Campground in Robson, just across the Columbia river from Castlegar. Great little campground, less than 2 minutes from the boat launch on the Columbia. If you are looking for a place to camp in the Castlegar area, I definitely recommend Passcreek Campground.

Water temperature in the river was 37-39 deg F. Clarity was great, no debris in the water yet from runoff.

A few pictures:

Pulling away from the Columbia boat launch in Robson.
Boatlaunch_zpsf46bb17e.jpg

Battling the first fish on the lake:
Cowiefight_zpsb9c40da3.jpg

Attachments

• Endofday_zpse139d903.jpg
    Endofday_zpse139d903.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 710
Nice, your first photo is on the Columbia, I assume the next few are lake shots, Arrow Lake I assume?

You bet, I neglected to mention that we decided to head above the dam and fish the Lower Arrow instead of another day spent on the river chasing ghosts!

Thanks for posting that video Admin, out of all the videos I occupied my time with before the trip, this was one that I have not seen.

What is good to know; the walleye fishing doesn't pick up until later in the year. We fished those exact spots, and I mean exact! With the same techniques, and nary a bite from any Walleye or Pike.

Another tid bit which I found interesting, there is a potential bounty on Pike heads in Castlegar. Authorities caught several Northern Pike below the dam in the Columbia river, and chipped them, then released them back into the river. Anglers are encouraged to destroy all Northern Pike caught, and cut off the heads to turn in at the BC Hydro office in Castlegar. If your Pike head contains one of the chips, you receive $500!

That's how badly they want these fish out of that system.

Back