Spring steelhead----back to the promised land for yet another go at her

Sharphooks

A few weeks ago I stared at my hands---all crippled up from repetitive stress syndrome (5 hours a day hammering away on my guitar without taking breaks---the story of my life---NOTHING in moderation)--But they were so bad I was wondering if I could even hold a fishing rod or row a boat down a river.

Then I had the thought that the reason I felt so tweaked and out of shape was precisely because I hadn't done enough river time this winter---too much work and stress and not enough time in the flow.

So I decided to bust a move --- yet another boreal excursion to the Promised Land. I usually do these trips alone but this year I thought I'd pair up with someone--- not only for the company (I've moved to a remote location with boat, dog and belongings and spend way too much time staring at my belly button so getting re-socialized is good) but also to have a buddy and watchful eye on my skinny arse in case I wrapped my totally over-loaded rubber duck around a log jam.

So on the plane ride up I stared at my hands--I knew it would be interesting just setting up a tent night after night, much less tying on flies and gear to my rods. But i was pumped---these fish fight like nobody's business. I didn't need too much of that to be made whole

And then, first morning on the river, up at O'dark thirty---I knew I'd made the right move :

Avon inflatables sure are classy looking crafts. So what's classier then one Avon?

A pair of them side by side:

There were about 10 steelhead nosing their way upstream through the gravel when those pictures were snapped------nice to see what was waiting for us once the sun went down:

These are spring run fish and usually are silver sided with jet black backs, fresh in on a tide from the chuck, hung with sea lice like a Christmas tree. But due to the completely whacky weather this winter (warm, zero snow, low river flows ) the fish matured early --- this one almost looked like one of her winter-run sisters though she was definitely a spring fish

Speaking of warm, we had six straight days of bluebird skies ---- hot hot hot. Nothing like wearing 5 mm neoprene waders in those conditions (if I'd brought my ulta-light waders maybe there would have been 6 days of sideways blowing snow---ha ha )

When the sun was out, you could just about forget catching fish---maybe the odd one in a shady place or in a white water chute, but it was TOUGH. Low water, you could see them, they could see you. Steelhead are usually easy to catch under the right conditions but with hot sun and low flows, not so much other then crack of dawn or just before dark

I got lucky here: a deep hole with logs ---she thought she was safe even though it was high noon

My partner will get pissed if I don't include a pic of him and his fancy new tent so here goes:

That Eureka tent in the foreground I purchased in 1985 when I lived in Anchorage. Boy that makes me feel old, but us geezers love seeing our camping equipment holding up and doing what they're supposed to year after year after year....that tent has done this same trip since the mid 80's ---scary thought!

Steelheading is all about timing: the last day of the trip we finally got rain---- the bite instantly came alive. After flogging the river to a froth with my fly rod for the first 5 days (with ZERO results other then a few Dolly Varden which as the cool guys already know, don't count), the morning it rained I hooked 3 fish on a fly rod in 20 minutes.

That's the way these trips go-- some times you're hot, some time's you're not. I have a huge aversion to the sun even when I'm not fishing (though I'll admit, it made for comfy camping, no doubt) but give me rain and good fishing any day!

Always a bit of sadness on this trip when I hear the crashing rollers coming in off the Pacific at the river's mouth. It's the signal that the trip is over

And then breaking down all the gear, no doubt knowing it's over, you know for certain it"s one more chapter in our fishing career that's come and gone

But what a bonus to have been able to pull it off for yet another year, crippled hands notwithstanding!

The weather cycles are starting to wear on me, though: I'm a skier (not too much of that game this winter) and of course for us fishing guys---it doesn't bode well for us or our children if this truly is going to be a long-term trend--zero snow, what's going to happen to the rivers this summer????

I'm hoping it's just an aberration (first year in 30 years doing this trip there was ZERO snow (which left our vegetables in a sad state by the 4th day...) )

The moral of the weather patterns: get it while you can, and while you're getting it, keep a tidy sliver of hope hanging from heaven by a slender thread, hanging just past the tip of your nose--that sliver of hope will give you the juice to keep on keeping on, keep trying to create or recreate that ideal fishing vision from our past lives.

That for me is the fun of it all

Last edited by a moderator:
That is one overloaded raft in the first picture! must make things interesting.

Thanks for sharing another one of your adventures.

Awesome post as always sharphooks!!
Thank you for sharing another great adventure. Wish we have a spring steelhead fishery up here in Vancouver island. It must be nice to catch chromers not far from ocean in balmy weather.
Take care and keep those adventures coming.

Thanks for the comments, Gents

And at the risk of bringing up a technique that for some of the more experiences steelhead guys out there on this Forum might be considered "old hat" and will elicit a yawn or two, I thought I'd mention a trick I tried up there that was certainly new for me and the results, pretty stunning for the short time I used them

I can sum it all up in one word: BEADS

We all know people use them but I am hugely stubborn in my techniques (both in my salmon fishing and steelhead fishing---all you need to know about just how stubborn I can be --- in almost 40 years of salmon fishing I have NEVER caught a salmon on a flasher and a hootchie and probably never will...)

But back to beads. I just spent 7 days on a river, six of them under a hot beating sun, day after day, after day. And anticipating that, I picked up some beads the day before flying north thinking that if the weather was clear, it would be a good test for that gear type.

So, I figured out a quick and dirty way to rig them and thought I'd share it (again, my apologies to the guys out there who know the drill and have been there and done that)

First you slip a single bead on the leader:

The normal bead placement seems to be about the width of your hand up the leader. Yes you can use a toothpick but with Fluoro I found a toothpick will bruise the leader

A better solution: a small strip of rubber band. So the quick and dirty method I used: take the end of the leader, feed it back through the hole in the bead, form a loop, then go back through the hole in the opposite direction, then place the strip of rubber band in the loop you formed and gently cinch it up

If you're careful and the rubber band strip is still springy and fresh, you can pull the band up through the hole with the loop and it will freeze the bead in place on your leader. Snip off the ends of the rubber band strip and you're good to go

Our normal camping drill (because of the freaking sun day after day after day) was to sneak into the trees and start dinner at about 3 PM. With dinner under our belts (and a few drinks) we'd fish from 5 PM until dark.

Well, on the day I decided to put beads to the test (like I said, I'm stubborn and only used them for about an hour on this trip, preferring to take my chances with a fly rod instead) we might of had a few drinks too many during dinner. By the time we were ready to participate in the evening bite we both quietly realized that if we were able to wade across the river, fish the hole, and get back to the camp site without falling in or breaking our rods, the evening would be a success....

So this is a long straight stretch of river; the opposite bank is lined with thick brush---the trees and bushes root in the bed of the river and river bank---tough fishing because the fish hide in those bushes. Every cast is a kamikaze cast.

So knowing I was in no condition to do the normal pin-point casting that is required for this type of fishing (you find a "window" or hole in the bushes, cast into it and hope you get in under the brush into the face of a fish without hanging up) I decided to just throw the bead about a foot shy of the bushes in the hopes I could lure something out of its hidey-hole.

Wow, in just a few cats, two spectacular fish, bang, bang, one after another, the type of fish that are airborne 6 or 7 times, up to the top of the hole and back down again to the bottom with a huge rooster-tail of water on your line before you've even had a chance to register what just happened. It was pretty stunning how fast it happened with those beads

No pix on those fish (chalk it up to brain death from the booze--- forgetting the camera) but those two fish helped make the trip.

And yet another "trick" (also known as cheating): my fly rods were both lined with floating lines. These spring fish don't like to move too far for a fly due to cold water temp (and the freaking sun) --- it's basically, use split-shot and a float( !!??) like 99.9% of the "flyfishermen" do on this river or get a bit creative.

So this was what I did: I grabbed a few stainless swivels from my salt water boat prior to the trip ---they had very little weight so they didn't impact casting, but they seemed to have just enough negative buoyancy to get the fly down on a long swing, especially on a 16 foot leader

This was the rig I used the morning it got rainy and gloomy (and fishy) and I finally busted the cherry and picked up three fish on my 7 weight fly rod

The swivel is also a way of side-stepping the mono to fluoro connection: the knots I've used for that transition are not always 100% reliable but a mono knot and a fluoro knot to each end of a swivel seemed to be bullet-proof on both fish and snags

There are a few that pooh-pooh trout beads but I too have found them effective when flies or other offerings aren't getting a sniff. I am advised they hook fish in bad places, being the hook is away from the target "egg". I haven't seen that happen yet and have caught many river coho and a few steelhead this way. It's usually the classic corner of the mouth hook-up. I would assume the same with intruder style flies. If bad tjings happen I will quit rigging them. I find about 1.5" between the bead and hook works great.

Thank you for sharing another great adventure. Wish we have a spring steelhead fishery up here in Vancouver island. It must be nice to catch chromers not far from ocean in balmy weather.

There are a number if rivers on Van Isle that you can fish for "kelts". Kelts are fish that have completed the spawning process and are are returning to the ocean. Most ethical anglers do not target "kelts" or spawning fish. IMO

There are a number if rivers on Van Isle that you can fish for "kelts". Kelts are fish that have completed the spawning process and are returning to the ocean. Most ethical anglers do not target "kelts" or spawning fish. IMO

There are a number if rivers on Van Isle that you can fish for "kelts". Kelts are fish that have completed the spawning process and are returning to the ocean. Most ethical anglers do not target "kelts" or spawning fish. IMO

Although rare, Spring runs coming in from the salt exist in river mid to north coast. They are not kelts or drop backs from most of the Island winter runs you refer to as evidenced by fresh sea lice. Nice try though. You should start a new thread about targeting kelts on the Stamp or Cowie if you want to start a debate, this thread is pristine now and should stay that way.

Although rare, Spring runs coming in from the salt exist in river mid to north coast. They are not kelts or drop backs from the winter run as evidenced by fresh sea lice. Nice try though.

This is true.. We used to fish some systems late April to early May as these systems had late winter runs.. Hey Hyde we just need to retire then get us a couple of Avons and start to explore.. Sharphooks nice work !!

Lots of rivers on the central coast have spring run steelhead. Most rivers are glacial melt off, creamy green water and t-shirts. Might wanna poke ur nose up knight or kingcome inlet for a look!!

So when do these "Spring run" fish spawn? There are no signs of gamete development in the females - they are very skinny. A late run steelhead should be ready to burst. Are they essentially summer runs that hold over for a year?

The spring fish in these pictures are sexually mature. If the flows and temperatures in their natal streams are optimal, they will begin spawning within a week or two of arrival from the salt chuck

The run this year, due to the water temperatures (zero snow) was accompanied by huge schools of Dolly Varden. The Dollies were actively feeding on loose eggs while the spring steelhead almost immediately began digging their redds

A "normal year" of snow = somewhat later spawning (end May/early June)

Hey Sharphooks beautiful Steelhead and sounds like you had a great trip!
Just a few words of friendly advice when landing those pristine fish. Fish have a protective mucoprotein coating on them which is their main defense system against infection and disease. When fish are brought up onto sand, rocks etc to take pictures of them prior to release some of that slime is rubbed off and removed from the fish. This is more drastic on sand especially.
When fish lose the slime they can get a fungal disease which in time will kill the fish. I did brood stock of Steelhead for years with the FWFS and got to see this first hand as the fish being held in holding tanks till they ripened grew fungus on a few places on their bodies from being improperly handled by the brood anglers. I was one of them who needed to change some of the ways we were landing these fish as I wasn't aware how detrimental these things could be to the fish.
In Winter and early Spring the dangers of this happening from anglers increases greatly because of the wide use of gloves (especially wool) by anglers. Gloves remove large amounts from protective slime from fish; especially from the tail wrists and bottom neck areas of the fish where they are mostly handled by anglers.
Please understand this is just a friendly observation and hope it may spark some thought to your future fishing trips with regards to the points I have mentioned.

There's nothing like being on a beautiful remote piece of water and getting to land such amazing fish like these Steelhead!

Points well taken, Chasin'..... thanks for pointing out the fish handling issues. I wear a wool glove when fly fishing but have always taken it off prior to getting near a fish I'm about to release for the reasons you pointed out

Back