Spotted yacht on fire in coal harbour tonight

Peahead

On my way home from work coming down Denman I spotted smoke coming from Coal harbour - instead of turning down Georgia to head home I head straight to foot of Denman , ditch my car in culdasac there and run over to seawall - now since I have share of a Grady Gulfstream moored there at Bayshore ( Bites-On Charters ) I am more concerned than if I didn't have a boat there. I see smoke billowing from a 50 footer on another finger and I call 911 -dispatch says they have a caller online for same fire. A couple minutes later while making my way down the dock I hear sirens and watch smoke getting worse ( take some video with Iphone too) A few people yelling "fire" through the sounds of sirens getting closer. I go back to sea wall to meet firefighters and open gate for them - several of them kick into action and I record it on my iPhone - awesome speed getting hoses set up . When the water comes through those big hoses they snap erect with vigor - its amazing. It was quite a site watching them work. The fire was small and put out quickly but thanks to the firefighters that kept the fire from getting worse - it could have become way worse. The fire seemed to be in the galley or helm area of the boat - smelled electrical.

Sun newspaper interviewed me so may be a small bit in paper tomorrow. I have some pretty good MOV video clips - all over 20 MB so not sure how to upload video clips that size . No stills except one of my SUV trapped by fire hose ! IMG_1799.jpg

Thanks again to the great work by the firefighters!

That's pretty interesting that you would post this. As the Battalion Chief at HQ last night I responded to this call. That's my Ford Truck in the picture.
The guys worked smoothly and quickly and made my job running the incident very easy.
It's nice when all the pieces fit together well, we don't always have everything go as smoothly when things hit the fan.
It was a busy nightshift, more arson activity in Stanley
Park too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I really became aware of the teamwork and experience involved with this sort of thing. Congrats on your great work. Perhaps I spoke to you at some point as I came off the dock on the west ramp (at the yellow tape across the ramp entrance)
I noticed the SP incident on the late news and I thought that it was likely the same guys having yet another call and a busy night !!

Here is a link to the small article from the Vancouver Sun on the yacht fire:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/Boat+fire+near+Coal+Harbour/6845122/story.html

Back