Splicing

firelight

After the halibut seminar I wanted to make an anchor setup as I had all I needed except a stainless ring that I bought. I wanted to use some extra prawn ropes I had for the various parts I needed.

I had always tied knots like shyte, so I wanted to learn to splice. Google up some videos and learn, now I'm splicing crazy. Just simple splices and eyes but it makes the gear look great.

If anyone hasn't tried this it's not hard and I like doing it too. I've had that pocket knife for 30 years, now I know how to use it lol.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333316712.288532.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1333316712.288532.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 196
I have tried a few, did not come out nice like yours. I need some practice and maybe a good marlon spike like yours.

I practiced at home with small lengths of rope while watching hockey. You need a spike for sure. When you separate the twist melt the 3 ends well so they stay together.

Looks good!! Just a suggestion... If you want the splice to look even tidier then after 4 tucks, start reducing the strands by a third and continue on. If you ever use braided lines, I recommend learning that splice lol it requires some patience though :D A good source for instruction is on the samson rope webpage.

I find a " Fid" actually works better than a marlon spike. Very simple to learn. Start with your common 3 strand prawn
rope, then graduate to your more complex,higher strand counts.

I have a set of fids and they do work but I seem to be all thumbs. I will keep at it til I get better.

Looks good!! Just a suggestion... If you want the splice to look even tidier then after 4 tucks, start reducing the strands by a third and continue on. If you ever use braided lines, I recommend learning that splice lol it requires some patience though :D A good source for instruction is on the samson rope webpage.

Some good tips thanks

I find a " Fid" actually works better than a marlon spike. Very simple to learn. Start with your common 3 strand prawn
rope, then graduate to your more complex,higher strand counts.

I got a fid in a Xmas pack a couple years back and I was tearing my shop apart to find it a couple weeks back. I'd like to use it, now where did I put it?

Yea,firelight,the're the best for splicing IMHO. The concave shape makes it so easy to tuck through your strands. As
someone earlier mentioned,make sure you melt your strand ends before you start!

If you ever use braided lines, I recommend learning that splice lol it requires some patience though :D A good source for instruction is on the samson rope webpage.

I worked at Samson (Herzog) as a splicer for a few years. They paid per splice, and bought my first boat with the cash.
Its been 17 years but maybe time to try it again. I never touched 3 strand, only gold braid anchor lines and dock lines.

Splicing is definitly the way to go. If done correctly I believe it holds almost 100% of the rope's breaking strength. I've spliced sinking line to poly for my prawn traps - saves on money as sinking line is expensive and this way it still goes through the puller!

Back