Spare Trailer Tire Size Question

Captain PartyMarty

Crew Member
I want to buy a spare tire for my trailer before making the trip up to winter harbour on Friday. Currently the trailer has ST185-80D13 tires installed. The problem is I have searching locally (langley)" for this tire and can't seem to find any. I could order them online in the states but it won't get here in time for my trip. Princess auto has a ST175/80 R13 on sale this week. Based on what I know about tires, it means the tread width is 10mm smaller and instead of diagonal contruction its a radial. Anybody see a problem having this as spare tire? Or should keep looking for an orignal?

Thanks

If you talk to a tire guy he would be able to tell you the exact difference; but as far as I know the D rated tires for trailers have stronger sidewalls and radial have stronger tread area; have you tried calling any trailer dealers; RV or construction dealers; they tend to have spares lying around as well already mounted; most RV will be radials and construction will be a mix of D and radial depending on the trailer! Worth a try; I purchased my tires and spare from a trailer dealer in Nanaimo 2 years ago as they had what I needed in stock; from a tire dealer I would have been waiting for 3 weeks for 5 tires!

Good luck!

I have done some more research, and found there is a diameter diffrence between the 175 and 185 of about 0.5in. Guess I should keep looking

If you've got a single axle trailer then I wouldn't be concerned. For that matter, in a pinch you'd be fine even with a tandem axle trailer. These aren't driving tires where diameter makes a big difference. 1/2 inch diameter difference means 1/4 in on the top and a 1/4 inch on the bottom. You won't even see the difference. I've used my boat trailer spare as a second spare on my tandem hunting trailer for a number of years. I've never had to use it yet but wouldn't hesitate if I needed to.
Dave

Back