Southern Van Isle 9.4LB Rainbow

Was out to Elk Lake again on Saturday May 15.
Had 10 hits in 4 hours on Baitrix strip. Released
three between 1.0 and 1.5 lb and kept a 2.5 lb and
4.0 lb (22 inch) rainbow. I am part way through
eating the 4 lb fish. It does have a slight algae
(muddy?) taste but with sauces, etc. this can be
minimized. The taste varies through the year and
even two fish caught the same day may taste differently.
They seem to taste worse during heavy algae blooms like
this past couple weeks. When the water clears up the
fish seem to taste better.

I bonked two at Elk yesterday, Monday the 17th. There is a heavy algae bloom happening, the lake smells like algae and the fish had a similar taste. They were edible, but not the best.

Also, I did some reaserch the fish I caught was 100% a cutty! No questions! It was long slender, and had bright orange markings on its throat. It had orange fins, and was Yellow in colour. With dark pepper like black spots covering its body from head to tail. including around its mouth and lips!

So maybe somthing has changed! But I know it was a Cutty. Will try to put some pics up when I have the chance!

In the late 60's while fishing the lake I got to talking with an older fellow. He said that in the past there was a small inflow creek on the N.W.side of Elk lake where the Fish and Game Dept. got their cuthroat brood stock for their stocking program. He added that these fish were 5 to 6 pounds.

I don't know if that creek is still there or if it has been silted in but if it is then that could be the source of the cutties today.

Might be worth while to look. If so it might be worth while for a fishing club to rehab it.

FFG89, I was fishing the West side and the North side. The fish were everywhere. The ones we picked up were about 18 or 19 inches, 2.5 pounds. Decent fish.

As for the creek in the northwest corner. The creek is still there, it runs along side of the Brookleigh road baot launch. As for fish in it... I don't recall how long ago exactly but somewhere around 6 or 7 years ago I would say, I saw a couple of trout in there under the little bridge that crosses it for the jogging trail. I've looked in there a few times since and have never seen anything again. The fish I saw were Rainbows I believe.

FYI

the colquitz used to flow at a much higer rate than in it's current state.

Elk and Beaver were two separate lakes. Eventually the headwaters of Colquitz had a wier put into place . This slowed the outflow of Beaver and the subsequent channel between the two lakes filled with water becoming what we know now as ELK/BEAVER.

Check it out. Interesting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elk_Lake_(British_Columbia)

The creek in the northwest corner beside the Brookleigh boat launch
ramp is O'Donnel Creek. The Victoria Golden Rods & Reels fishing club
worked on habitat restoration along the creek in the 1990's. They
worked under the guidance of the Ministry of Environment / Fisheries
Branch in Nanaimo. If anyone wants more information on this they can
contact the club president, Art Raven, at artraven@shaw.ca

The weir flow control at Beaver Lake leading into Colquitz Creek
is supposed to be monitored and adjusted regularly to provide a
guaranteed minimum flow to the creek throughout the summer. This
is needed for the rearing juvenile coho salmon and resident trout
in the creek. The weir operation I believe is a joint effort between
the CRD Parks Department and MOE with Parks staff doing the actual
regular adjustments. I don't know if this is happening as it is
supposed to be however. Several years ago there was considerable
money spent to develop and improve trout spawning habitat in the
section of the creek immediately below Beaver Lake. This section
is the only viable spawning area for Elk Lake resident trout.
Spawning gravel was added to the creek as well as other instream
improvements.

There are not many cutthroats in elk/beaver but there are still some, have had a few up to 20" over the past few years but not a lot by any means.

haha bananas, now now im not much into keep trout for that matter. hali and salmon on the other hand. i wouldnt mind keeping a few big ones if i catch em

"A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work"

quote:Originally posted by BoyWonder

haha bananas, now now im not much into keep trout for that matter. hali and salmon on the other hand. i wouldnt mind keeping a few big ones if i catch em

"A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work"

A wise man once told me "I didn't rise to the top of the food chain to eat a salad"..

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Someone here at work tells me a buddy of his caught a 12lb rainbow in Elk lake in the past week. Has any one else heard of this fish???

Someone here at work tells me a buddy of his caught a 12lb rainbow in Elk lake in the past week. Has any one else heard of this fish???

TINBOATROBB

I doubt anyone caught a 12 lb Rainbow at Elk Lake which was
officially weighed and verified. I'm sure more of us would
have heard about it had this been the case. And pictures
would be circulating by now.

However, with the triploid stocked Rainbows, I suspect within
a year or two there will be some over 10 lb and maybe as big
as 12 lb being caught on more than one occasion through the
year.

NICE FISH! Congrats!! I'm Green with envy!![:p]
quote:Originally posted by steeliehead

DSC_5804NEF.jpg
[/img]

I do not know if I could play on Elk Lake anyway, not much in the way of full-time fast-moving water that comes into or out of the lake to spawn in I've heard of spawning rainbows in the creek that feeds Lake in the launch of the North. If they still do or not, I do not know, nor have I seen there.

Back