Sooke2015

Fish report...an "unnamed source" well I guess I know him...:) sent me a pic of a "50 + pounder" chinooky;it was a picture of a guy holding a bloodied,BIG fish,caught at 11:45 am today(Sooke)

That's one of the biggest fish this year I am surprised its not weighed in anywhere.Anyone we know? I heard there was a 40 few days ago but not something that big. Sounds like a monster... As long its not KK who landed it!

Last edited by a moderator:
took 3 of my kids out looking for springs around secretary/possession, found nothing between 3-6pm

think the boat near us kept picking them up, seemed like every time I looked over they were netting something

Went out to otter 3-7pm. Had a large pink in the boat before we even got the kicker started and took a small spring at the end. Seemed to be a quick bite about 530 when everyone was hooked up. We managed to lose 2 in that time but lots in other nets. Saw a few more caught and seemed everyone at the dock had springs in the 15 to 20 range.

Started at the Trap 7:30, nothing, moved to Head 1 pink, moved to Secretary, 13lb around 11:00 then nothing til 1:00. Pretty slow day 2 bites. Saw a few fish at cleaning table. Looked like decent number of halis coming in.

That's one of the biggest fish this year I am surprised its not weighed in anywhere.Anyone we know? I heard there was a 40 few days ago but not something that big. Sounds like a monster... As long its not KK who landed it!
Don't worry.. it wasnt KK :D
Seen the pic... it was a dandy

Was out from 630am-700pm yesterday. Had some folks here from the interior. Had my best day in Sooke in years. Moring we must have hooked 12 Coho (3 hatch) and 6 springs; kinda average fishing. The odd hook up through mid day, but was generally slow. At around dinner time it lit up We must have hooked into another 12 springs. Limits for three, but was tough getting them in the net. I have never seen Springs head shake so much. Out west. Biggest was 30 we guess.

Was out from 630am-700pm yesterday. Had some folks here from the interior. Had my best day in Sooke in years. Moring we must have hooked 12 Coho (3 hatch) and 6 springs; kinda average fishing. The odd hook up through mid day, but was generally slow. At around dinner time it lit up We must have hooked into another 12 springs. Limits for three, but was tough getting them in the net. I have never seen Springs head shake so much. Out west. Biggest was 30 we guess.

We couldn't find Springs today but we kept 5 hatchery hoes and released a bunch of wilds at Otter.

Wow, don't think I have ever seen such contrasting posts in succession. Just shows what 24 hours plus a different location will do. (I am usually in the wrong place for springs myself. LOL:D)

Fished 8-12. Two double headers. Caught 4-4 springs and one coho. 3 springs were in the 8-12 class. The fourth, a hatchery, was about half the size. Nogs needle caught the biggest the rest was on anchovy. The coho on a 4" j plugs. 75-80 deep, dummy flashers as always for me.

Last thurs caught and lost a mid teen just east of reef at otter at 2pm. Purple haze Tomic lure. The fish spent more time out of the water than in and it appeared to be really dark.

JL

Wow, don't think I have ever seen such contrasting posts in succession. Just shows what 24 hours plus a different location will do. (I am usually in the wrong place for springs myself. LOL:D)

Quote Originally Posted by victoriaboater View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kinetic View Post
We couldn't find Springs today but we kept 5 hatchery hoes and released a bunch of wilds at Otter.

Could it be one guy fished for over 12 marathon hours and the other for the usual 4 - 6 hours.
and the main bite came on around dinner time when Kinetic was enjoying his second glass of wine in the comfort of his home???

Afternoon bite,

Gotta make the call to quad or fish in the AM. Trying to squeeze both in tomorrow. I haven't been watching the reports very closely this week. Is the bite still in the afternoon? any advice would be appreciated. Would you push for running west if its an option, or is out front acceptable?

Again, any info is appreciated.
Thanks Guys,

Alan

One 16# at beechy 60' rigger. Orange tiger head large anchovie. Grean glow flasher. Good fighting football shaped fish.
Had more go then the mid 20 I got a couple weeks ago. Straight down deep dives.

was out from 7 to 130 ish steady action it seems there is pockets of fish just have to work it landed 5 springs all teens and cohos....

fishing is winding down you can always quad... LOL
hell ill join ya too in a month or so

Non-stop coho action yesterday morning after the slack around 9:30 - off otter - 50-100 feet, all types of gear. retained 3 clipped and 2 humpies. released at least 10 wild. Contrast to Friday which was much slower. DFO at the prestige ramp yesterday inspecting catches.

I wouldn't say it is winding down yet this is some of the best fishing I have had over the season. I think we may find opposite this year. From what I keep seeing I think we have a few weeks left at least. Just have to find them and be at right place right time...

Never fished Sooke before, going to try tomorrow. Is the public Boat Launch a good place to launch? Thanks

Have been resting up but did get out front for a few hours today with ‘Goalie – on this Forum’ one of my old fishing buddies. Laz is 74 now and was a professional Soccer Goalie. He says his claim to fame is that he has been scored on by Pele but he didn’t feel too bad about it considering all the better Goalies Pele scored on. Laz has been under the weather and in and out of the Hospital all summer but he felt up to it today and I was able to get him out to break in his virgin license. Just fished the good plastic but hooked up 4 Chinook including two heavies (for Sooke anyway).

Goalie got a nice football white that went end to end on the very large cooler (28.2 lbs) and I lost the second heavy bodied pounder that shook the hook eventually and did a lot of tugging and head shaking and very short runs of a few feet. It was only later we noticed that when the rod was put together that the line had one rap around the Rod at the center joint and we had not noticed. That would explain it not doing a lot of running but it did not break off the 50lb leader and 40 lb main line despite being a power fish. (Sheat happens). Also kept two teeners to 16 lbs since Golie had nothing in the Freezer. The Chartreuse Green and Glow Flasher and glow white hootchie were hot once again down 55 and 65 feet. Despite all the rain it is still good for Big Chinook but it will I expect fade out big time very soon.

Attachments

• WP_20150906_004.jpg
    WP_20150906_004.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 539
  • WP_20150906_009.jpg
    WP_20150906_009.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 540
Nice fish Rockfish hope things are going well... I think my wife's uncle may know him in soccer community... getting scored on by Pele is pretty big honor... Nice fish to battle first time out.

Back