Sooke2015

Fishing was better in the afternoon yesterday for sure. Ended up with 6 springs, 4 of them coming between noon and 1:30 just west of Muir Creek. Also had a couple of nice hatch Coho and released a couple nice wilds.

Well didnt watch our crew appernatly ... one heck of a bite all morning and early afternoon landing 6 and losing quite a few more fishing has been great all week ....

I guess when you dont get a fish every 5 mins its poor.......

WOW

Today was a bit slower but still got them......
they are there have to work for them thats all.....

Good luck Wolf

Well didnt watch our crew appernatly ... one heck of a bite all morning and early afternoon landing 6 and losing quite a few more fishing has been great all week ....

I guess when you dont get a fish every 5 mins its poor.......

WOW

Today was a bit slower but still got them......
they are there have to work for them thats all.....

Good luck Wolf

Yeah when I picked up to go home next to you yesterday we were still getting snaps here and there until 11... There really was no solid bite , but definitely fish there. Was good fishing wish we had stayed longer... Its going to interesting what this rain does..

Last edited by a moderator:
It will take days of rain before the ground becomes saturated and there is any sizable run off into the creeks. Good to see some rain in forecast though..it will all help.

9-3 shift between Otter and Muir. Relatively steady action, but no defined bite time we saw. We had 1 decent spring on that shook the hook, otherwise small stuff....pinks, hatch coho, small chinook.

DFO checking boats at the public launch. Make sure you have those chinooks recorded....he said can fine $100 for that.

Thanks savagefan, nice meeting you also and your family, have a nice winter in Calgary, don't worry about us as there will be lot's of Coho coming in and Hali fishing is good, winter springs will be here before we know it!!

You might get a shot at a coho but the Hali and winter springs are pretty tough to catch from shore !!

Fished 2:30-5pm yesterday. Muir Creek. 4pm hubby had a pin popper. Looked like a high teenager.The reflection was bad on the water and I had a difficult time seeing the fish. I went to net it and at the last second, it flicked it's tail, popped out of the net and went for a run, tired now, it sulked behind the boat, it wanted to come in on my side, but my line was still down. Then it headed for the kicker prop, we got the flasher back :mad: 30 seconds later, I had one on, hubby netted it for me and we had at least my 13 lber. Nice to catch one, maybe the later bite is better? got a nice batch for red for the smoker! I read all the time about other guys "lost one at the boat" Everyone seems so non-chalant about it. I swore for half and hour and kept apologizing the whole trip! If I could only have another try at that one.............. Xena

Been out fishing a few times lately, with moderate success. Some hatchery coho, some pinks, some chinook in the teens (mostly white flesh) and nice days on the water. The last two days have been murky from a bloom of some sort, and jellies fouling the lines. Only thing notable was a triple header consisting of chinook (70ft on a coho killer), coho (50ft on anchovie), and a pink (plug at the surface).

Last minute decision to go out today, so fished from 1:00pm until 6:00pm. Tried the Bluffs, Harbour mouth and Possession. Only got two pinks and released two non-clipped coho. No chinooks. All 4 fish came to herring side. Anchovy got nothing and neither did two different hootchies.
:cool:
Beautiful evening. Don’t think I have ever seen it so calm…..

I read all the time about other guys "lost one at the boat" Everyone seems so non-chalant about it. I swore for half and hour and kept apologizing the whole trip! If I could only have another try at that one.............. Xena
Don't worry about it Xena. It happens.
Last year we lost two very good ones at the net owing to fish "half in-half out" of the net types of occurrences.
Soon you will be catching enough that you can afford to be nonchalant too!!:)

Ran out to Otter from 3-7 . Got a 20 second pass and before it was even out of the net had a 10 on the other side! Saw a few more netted and lost a screamer for being lazy and not changing the leader. Hope the luck continues ...

Time for another hottie with fish pic! , took a relative out a couple days ago had planned to fish otter on the afternoon flood and dropped the gear off the tin shack did not get far before the action started and picked up 4 in short order, kept 2 released 2 all of them were stubby nose chromers 1 red 1 white and as I have said everytime I have been out this year "incredible season"20150825_170415 (360x640).jpg

Went out to the Head from 4-7 tonight for my first real go since early August, this time with my nephews and brother-in'law from Ontario. Got a nice 12 lb Spring around 4:30, and quiet for us and most others the rest of the night. Ontarion's loved it, and I was thrilled to get them a Spring. A white one too. Heard we missed a strong bite around 3.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Went out today despite the forecast. Pretty nice morning for wind but slow around head. Wind and waves did pick up and got sloppy. Stayed slow. Lots stayed home for a saturday. After nothhing on my side but buddy picked up a nice one and it ran like the devil in the flood. After some turns and shakes managed it to the boat transom. Looked about 25 but i knocked it off so will never know. Happy to get out at all and have some fun in the four footers and 30+ knot winds. Sorry CBY - it was a beaut.

Time for another hottie with fish pic! , took a relative out a couple days ago had planned to fish otter on the afternoon flood and dropped the gear off the tin shack did not get far before the action started and picked up 4 in short order, kept 2 released 2 all of them were stubby nose chromers 1 red 1 white and as I have said everytime I have been out this year "incredible season"View attachment 19829

You are one lucky guy!!!
can't miss with a fishing partner like that.
is that called "afternoon delight"?

Took some visiting family out for a taste Sooke fishing at 7am. Back at 9am with 2 teen springs and release 2 wild coho about 8 lbs. Coho seem to be getting bigger and I hope they open 1 wild. One we released had no hope of surviving seems such a waste.

One of our friends is new to Salmon fishing and we have been teaching him the ropes and he has been learning fast. This is a good thing because today he got tested and did not repeat any of the mistakes he and most of us made our first couple of trips out. Went out right off Sooke from 9 to 12 to catch the bite and fished Anchovies slow in the modest current and through the change.

Hit a nice Pin Popper and runner early coming out of the Secretary Gap and lost it to a seal after the usual seal battle but got back the hot teaser head and flasher. Then moved on to Possession and the Flats. Went through two packs of Chovies mostly playing Chinook Catch and Release but did keep one teenager bleeder.

Finally hooked up a big one down 58 feet and he played it perfectly, knew it was off the rigger and did not yank on it trying to release an already released big fish that was just sulking. Got the hand off the palm position and right to reeling at the first hint the rod tip was beginning to come up after a run and asked for a little boat speed for a couple of seconds, (from almost stopped) to help keep up to it after it charged the boat and began to overwhelm his max reeling speed. In short played it perfect, kept the line tight the whole time and ended up with one of his first Chinooks ever and a very nice Sooke Tyee on both the marina (32.5 lb’s) and Wise Buy’s scales were it was just a little less after bleeding and drying out some more. Red and glow white teaser head and pink haze flasher. Happy Birthday Hammer.

Attachments

• WP_20150830_001(1).jpg
    WP_20150830_001(1).jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 727
Last edited by a moderator:
Right on Rockfish, that is a nice slab! We didn't find anything that big out west but the excellent fishing we have been enjoying this year off Sooke continued for us too. We played several springs up to near 20# and only kept one that turned out to be a whitie. Release 2 more coho and 2 pinks. The 3 kids I took had a blast!

Back