Sooke2015

Nothing but pinks yesterday. Heading out right now with guests and the DFO website is down for maintenance. Great timing.

Was out last Friday, Fished west of Beechie, got a couple of nice Springs and a Coho. Didn't hit any Pinks thought, funny. Mid morning was a good time.

Was out yesterday at Possession and Secretary Isl. kept an 8lb Spring, slightly small clipped Coho and 10 Pinks for the smoker.

Out Friday morning 6am-12:30, Possession Point and Secretary Island. Nothing happening at Possession Point. Move over to the tip of Secretary Island and things really started to happen. 3 Springs 18, 16, 12 and 4 pinks. All at 53ft, Charteuse JDF Head and Yellow / Green Flasher. Nice day on the water, but Foggy

Out Saturday Morning, 6am -10am, Great day, little fog, nice water. 4 Springs 18, 18, 15, 10. Beechy Head. Lots of Pinks and 1 Sockeye Release. Nice to get out early. Limit out and have a nice smokey on the BBQ.

Tried for halibut today at Constance but only got a 4 foot Skate.
going home tomorrow after a great trip. Thanks Sooke!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 584
Put in a shift tonight off Beechy and at the trap. Real slow out there. Quite a few boats out, but didn't see a single net out.
Few pinks, including a scrappy 7ish pound pink my boy brought in on the fly rod. Good fun.

Probably quietened down with the whales having been around the past couple of days. Haven't been out for about a week so only guessing from what I'm reading.

Got skunked at the trap this morning. Watched the orcas rip through.
To many boats. Ripped over to church got a hatch coho.
Finished up in the mouth of pedder one good hit but I was to slow to grab the rod.

We were surprised to see a large Pelican sitting on the water off Sooke. The last time I saw one of those I was in Mexico. Is this becoming more common. This summer does feel more like the tropics than I am use to. The Chinook fishing continues to be excellent. Lots of Hook ups and caught on bait and plastic and on average we have been getting them higher up than in previous years, - 35 to 60 feet rather than 40 to 86 feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
was it the browny/gray type of pelican? I've seen a few on the flats before.

I read somewhere they used to be more common in our waters, like years and years ago.

Tried whirl bay yesterday with family from out of town. Snapped the line on a decent spring first thing and one more good hit but otherwise pretty quiet for the first few hours. Only noticed one nice spring caught. Guests wanted some action so made our way out in the middle of straight for pinks. Action was fast and furious finishing with double headers to round out limits. They had fun before heading back to Ontario last night.

was it the browny/gray type of pelican? I've seen a few on the flats before.

I read somewhere they used to be more common in our waters, like years and years ago.

Gray I believe. Took some pictures but they are not very good as it was too far away for the cheap camera.

Not a bad couple days for us, not hot and heavy but we are scratching a few up. Yesterday we tubbed 2 decent fish a 17 & 19 today we boated a 15. Of course no end to the pinks which I don't mind we are putting a couple every day in the freezer. They will be good come Nov fried up in some garlic butter.. Still got a few days left to add some to the freezer. Tomorrow is going to be a good day. Can't believe how nice the water has been,, pretty awesome..

It feels good just to out here doin our thing,, enjoying every minute while I can..

image.jpg1_zps0gkd6dej.jpg

Fished from7:30am until 1:30pm today. Amazing number of boats out for a Monday!
Started out around the harbour mouth and Possession and after 45 minutes had huge hit at 64’ on anchovy and boated a 10lb white. The anchovy was one I had rigged on a bloody nose head two trips ago and never used. I hate wasting bait so it had been through two freeze/melt cycles, teaser , leader and all. The fish clearly did not mind!!
Later we went down past the trap and into Becher Bay with the tide. Lost a cannonball on the reef at the Trap and only managed one pink and shaker for the rest of the trip.
There were many murres about in flying flocks and groups of 3 or 4 all over the water. Sadly we managed to drown one at 99’ feet on a herring in a teaser. That has never happened to us before. Hooked right in the end of the beak and I never saw the rod move. Incredible how deep those birds can dive!!
I assume the murres mean there is a lot of bait in the water but not visible on our sounder….

Back