sooke

B

bconn

howdy,

obviously new to the forum, curious if anyone could give me an update on the winter spring fishing situation, gonna head out for the first trip of the winter on friday, trying to decide between, pedder, beecher or sooke? or even vic water front and sidney area for that matter. any insight?

went out yesterday for 3 hours, only one fish 5 lbs. hatchery spring. purlple haze hoocie, gold flasher. Just to the 'otter point' side of secretary. No luck at trailer park only saw one other small fish caught, 5 boats out there. I think it was pretty close to slack tide when I caught my fish

Had one trip the line on Sunday but that was it. Lot's on the sounder though around 180 feet. Next time hope there is more to tell.

I thinks that they have pretty much been cleaned out for a while. The problem with winter springs over the summers is that they don't migrate nearly as much. Most of the feeders with sit in a particular area fattening up before there big trip up north. It's funny though that nobody has put much thought to the fact that winter springs a small adult chinook. The more the fishing for them gains popularity, the less summer fish returning. Don't get me wrong, I fish for them as well, but it's one of those things that we might have to look at before they drop drastically in numbers like many moons ago.

Pretty darn slow out there compared to the action in late November. Tough to make it worth while sorting through the plethura of flasher sized fish that seem to have moved in. The majority of the larger ones either moved on, or got bonked?

Most of the fish that you are catching in sooke in the winter are not the same fish that you are catching in the summer so it should not have an effect on summer fishing. You will catch a ton of hatchery fish in the winter and much less in summer.

Unfortunate that winter fishing has died off early in sooke this year. Most years it is strong right through till mid Jan before tapering off. Maybe they are following the bait around and it will turn back on. Hard to say after the wacky summer that we had.

I don't know but the rest of you but I find November is the best month for winter springs in Sooke and then on and off for the next several months.

Was out twice last week. Picked up a 6 and 7 lb first trip and skunked the next. I've been trying to stay connected with the fishing down there and it seems generally pretty slow and hit and miss day by day. Sooke seems to be fishing better right now than Becher or Pedder but depending on winds can be more exposed fishing than Becher Bay.

Me and Midggy are all cozzied up for winter. Trying to make Dooey gooned Midgey Babies. I LOVE MY MIDGET!!!!

Back