SOOKE REPORTS spring/summer 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
The marketing strategy to say that " we out produce all others" really works? I mean , how does one actually guage it. We all have our days. Pro, I know your rep. I am not questioning that, but for the vacationer that just wants a guide, how will he know it's you that has the magic weapon?

That being said, I wouldn't get that detailed either. Why?..... because, thats why :D

C'mon guys, lay off the guy. We all know that our little tricks are only if ever really shown to our closest fishing partners. There are secrets weather you wish to beleive or not.

Well would never go so far as to say out produce all others...that is arrogance or ignorance..take your pick. Everyone will have good days and bad days, limiting the bad days and maximizing the good is the secret. However people do noticed if you are catching fish when others aren't. That is why the phone number is on the boat :D What really bugs me is when your having a sub par day and your hearing some clown bragging about all the fish they are catching, losing, or the size of the fish. Only to find out later it is all BS.

Profisher does well with his tactics, which I am sure only came with a lot of experience. Would that it could be that I could put in the time on the water that Profisher, Wolf and others aboard here do. For nimrods like me, all I can say is, when you retire, write the book and I'll buy it.

For myself, I'm quite happy to share my secrets, which are incidental catches count.

First foray for the year down there today. Launch at Cheana late, but still in time to catch the rain - brr. Troll from Beechy Head to past the Trap Shack and back with nada. Anchovies, spoons, pink hoochies, didn't matter. Incoming tide and stupidity pushed me east to the Bedfords where I picked up a sockeye @ 78 feet on a Coyote Watermelon spoon. No BS. Remember incidental catches count.

And then a great show put on by the Orcas.

After that the fishing got quiet(er).

All in all a beautiful day.
Now for some more wine.

And my question for the pro's.
We all know that the Orca's put off or drive off the Springs, but do they have the same effect on sockeye?

quote:Originally posted by profisher

Well would never go so far as to say out produce all others...that is arrogance or ignorance..take your pick. Everyone will have good days and bad days, limiting the bad days and maximizing the good is the secret. However people do noticed if you are catching fish when others aren't. That is why the phone number is on the boat :D What really bugs me is when your having a sub par day and your hearing some clown bragging about all the fish they are catching, losing, or the size of the fish. Only to find out later it is all BS.

I should note that I did not quote profisher when I said "we out produce all others" That was intended as a common blanket sort of thing we all like to say LOL. Profisher is a professional and seems to be as humble as he needs to be.

Sorry, my mistake also, I forgot it's all about filling the tub and buisness for some of you guy's. I just figure D.F.O. threw us a bone on the sockeye. probably a few million going by in the next couple of weeks. What's the harm in sharing a little info on a short fishery we get once every few years. I personally could care less what colour your flasher is , while other's may get one shot to get out there and get a few socks might want to know. I didn't realize it was such a serious buisness for some. Should we all look the other way when your flasher come's out of the water?

... Are fishermen all liars?
Or do only liars fish?

Thats just being a good fisherman by keeping your eyes and ears open. I am sure if you see his flasher one day it means your observant and you've come to earn that answer. However it may be only 1 dimensional as the reasons behind using a specific color is more important for future choices on the matter. Besides you still have a bunch of other variables to being consistent. Asking a guy directly is always a bit of a gamble. No? I rarely beleive anything I hear anyways. My own time on the water gives me what I need to know.

Anyways isn't this just a reports page? Lets hear more stories guys

HL

Out today from 9-2:30. Picked up 4 sox and no springs. Seemed the springs were a little slower today. Just gotta wait for the next run to move thru.

Im leaving for my early season moose hunting trip on thursday. So I dont think I will be hitting the water until my return on the 24th. Hope some Coho's show when I come back! Good luck all! Leave a few for me when I come back.

-Steve

Well ill tell you as it really doesnt matter to me its soxs theres enough out there for everyone!!!!!!!!ive been using this green flasher with a red stripe on it with a a squirt with a blue head on it seems to work for me ive got about 15 different types of hootchies but still use that one, been putting it on my 3rd rigger while fishing for springs, got about a dozen or so on yesterday but only manged to get in 4 [V] and getting them on anchovies as well.
Also been using a red hot spot with glow on one side today ill try the plaid see how that works for a bit will report tonight.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Ah the elusive sockeye, almost as hard to catch as pinks. Im just reading through my Charlie White Book as we speak. I find it just amazing that Sooke sockeye are such a unique breed, that require a pro to get in to them. Give me a break![:p]
I do know the white blade/Red stripe with mp 15/red gammy, outfishes the usual red hotspot and squirt combo at times. also the tiny red krippled K's if you have any. I have all the old commercial sockeye gear still in a box.:D

www.tailspincharters.com

Bag I could catch way more if I didn't have to keep waiting for everyone to be looking the other way before putting gear in the water. :D Funny I went into Jocks to pick up some more of the squirts I use (down to my last 6) and the kid in the store asks if I've tried these flashers...Eldon has been using them and they work really well...I chuckled they are the exact ones I use. So there you go...go to Jocks and get em!!! Socks were on the surface every where up at the light (in tight) today. Rising like porpoise or jumping. Good to see so many. Only a spring today, lost another first thing on the sockeye gear as well.

geeze how did u know the other day(during a flash back) told my kid to cut that rusty hook off that old pink krippled k & slam on a red gammy trust charlie to let the cat out of the bag & you skelly wagg get back in your campion:D

sorry Justin "osprey"oh the minds of idle fisherman ps i like your spiffy new ride[8D]

Now if only the fish could stay around for a while longer. Hope it's not just a blip passing through. It's been good out there. A few into the low to mid thirties. Lots of Sox and even a few really nice Ho's.( 12-18 lbs)

I'll be hitting it again on Sunday then Renfrew after that.

Have fun out there guys. See you on the weekend.

Dont know if it did sorry smiley I was gone by noon as it was just a short day but managed a 24 and a 14 for a mother daugher who have never been on the pacific ocean before all the way from austin texas!!!I tell you seeing the smile she had all day is why I love guiding...
Just dont tell people fron texas your a cowboys fan LOL LOL

See you out there

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Krazy fishing fool-I did an exact repeat of your day yesterday. Stopped by fraser island to check something and only then noticed I was in the middle of a big school. they were piling up in the shallows of fraser island. Caught them one after another for 15 minutes and then they were gone.

Nice to see Tailspin putting some decent weight on the cleaning table.

On the subject of keeping with the sockeye school on the open chuck, does anyone have a more environmentally sensitive way of marking the school besides throwing over an empty pop bottle?

I was out yesterday from 12-5 and dident see a single jumper. When were you seeing them jumping out there guys? I was very shocked thought they were all gone and moved thru!

-Steve

they were finning every where off the trap reef ,lots of [^] @ the cleaning table & yes there was a decent# of smilies mixed in with the socks out thursday to show what lays beyond shore remember the bonus is the fish!

Out to east sooke on a road trip for squat !
fished Becher bay until the fog lifted enough to get around the corner. Then fished the trap to Beechey and back without even a bite.
Out to the deep to try and find a sockeye and had one on briefly
but the tide was ripping and west started to blow.
back home empty handed :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back