Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

Fished the first tide line off Secretary today from 10 or so til 1
Lots of action, mostly at 80' and 100'....mostly wild up to 10 pounds.
Kept 2 hatchery coho maybe 7 or 8 pounds.
Fished hotchies with flashers, single hooks.
Agree with others...best to wait until we can take some wild.

Not a coho for sure...

Profisher would totally back me up on this one... That one is from the..

Henry_Winkler_Fonz_290x400.jpg

...run

:D

Sorry Lipper. It's a spring but doesn't look like a Harrison at all. My guess would be that it was a red. Where from?...who knows. Doesn't look like a Sooke fish either.

I wasn't saying it was a Harrison, I was thinking Ehhhhhhhhhhhh ;)

Ahhh, that shows been off the air so long I forgot what his line was...just about as long as "HEY SKIPPER"

Hey Lipripper, saw an LA class around late last week out past Race Rocks, LA class is way smaller than an Ohio class (boomer)....if this thing is bigger than a trident no idea what it could be ???

What a fantastic day on the water! Hot, sunny shirtsleeves weather and flat calm. More like July 25th than Sept 25th except no wind...LOL:D

Fished 9:30 to 1:30. To start, poked around with anchovies and hootchies in front in 130 feet of water in case there were any late chinooks (or early winters?) around. Promptly got a hatch coho on the bottom for our pains!

Trolled out to 500' water and switched to spoons and old krippled K at 90-100'. Got 4 wilds and three more hatch in next couple of hours. So for us, ratio of hatch was close to 50%, much better than other recent posts. However, all hatch fish were small cookie cutters around 4lb whereas the wild were about 6-7lb. Did not see any 10lb 'ders!!!:confused:

Finished by trolling back in to Secretary with spoon and anchovy at 160' - 180' to see if anything was under the coho. Got one more coho to the boat even at that depth! Finished with a clip popper near Secretary which we missed and came in.

One of the hatch coho, though only 4lb, had two 8" herring inside it. (it had a fat belly!!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome report English! Makes me want to make one last trip out to sooke for that coho action. I know that it opens for a single wild retention on Monday but that doesn't really make much difference to me. Lots of coho action with the chance at the odd spring makes for a great day fishing in my books.

Cheers

One of the hatch coho, though only 4lb, had two 8" herring inside it. (it had a fat belly!!)

Of the 8 we got between Saturday/Monday 4 of them had little coho in their gut around that same size.

You know English...
What I like about a lot of your reports is that you note "Great Day!" and then go on to mention the great weather or great company...
Your not always refering to the huge fish you caught that day.

It is easy to take things for granted out there ( I know I do) but you really enjoy being out there.
Good on ya!

Sometimes for me it's taking kids or taking guests that reminds me what it is all about.

Tips

Thx guys!
Coming from the industrialised, urban jungles of U.K. I know BC, and this coast in particular, are the nearest to heaven I will ever get. Especially when the weather is like this....:)

Last edited by a moderator:
someone kindly posted several pictures of pilchard some time back. the last 2 days we fished, as i was cleaning the clipped Coho, i pulled a beautiful 2" pilchard out of this fishes gut. needless to say, i went to work at the tying bench and 'invented' a pilchard fly. to date this little 2" fly has outfished everything i have run on the second rod including the 'hot stuff' the 'big boys' down this way talk about. all of this running at 40' on the rigger cable.

i just love Coho fishing so much more than hunting Chinook, great fishery for sure and this september has been so outstanding on the water, its really hard to describe, fish or no. witness the attack sub headed W, the logistic supply boats with their Ohio class surrounded, the P3 Orion looking, the USCG cutter having to turn back because it couldn't keep up with the attack sub. the dolphin out of PA looking at the rec fleet, so much to see out there it really is a mind blower each and every day. i appreciate your thoughts Englishman.

Hey Lipripper, saw an LA class around late last week out past Race Rocks, LA class is way smaller than an Ohio class (boomer)....if this thing is bigger than a trident no idea what it could be ???

Did it have an adipose fin?

Back