Sooke Reports - Spring and Summer 2012

We have been wanting to get out fishing for days........so you're saying that tomorrow might be okay since it's a flood tide? gotta a buddy from Aussie visiting, would love to have him catch a coho or two............thanks Xena

Had a great day on the water with Popeye arms. Non stop Coho action. Took our limit of hatch in a very short time. It was the first Sooke splash for the new to me boat. On and off the trailer clean. The gear went down and back up. Lumpy, bumpy, foggy 2! Awesome day!

Tip

Too rough tonight for us. Tried to hide out behind Secretary but it wasn't working so well. Got a little wet coming back in. Some guys were staying out for that "night bite" but not worth it for us. It's just fishing.

im curious... is anybody fishing these just outside of pedder? my boats on the smaller side... don't want to get caught around the bend if the wind picks up

im curious... is anybody fishing these just outside of pedder? my boats on the smaller side... don't want to get caught around the bend if the wind picks up
The less windy side (west) of the bay may be fishable..however that could get old fast...

My buddy was out of pedder for 45 mins the other day. ( Kids dident want to stay any longer) And in 45 he nailed 6 fish and landed 4 2 of which were hatch. on Coho killers.

Giver Buddy!

Steve, take care of your cold, get some rest..live to slay another day...

Yeah, tell me about it. Seems to go away and then come back right when I thought it was gone.

Oh well its a great time for it to get windy I guess!

-Steve

It was windy out there today at otter! Lots of chop on the water and maybe even blew the coho away, only caught 2 wilds which went back perfect! Did manage to catch 4 springs today 26,21,12, and 10. About a dozen boats out there getting blown around as well.

It was windy out there today at otter! Lots of chop on the water and maybe even blew the coho away, only caught 2 wilds which went back perfect! Did manage to catch 4 springs today 26,21,12, and 10. About a dozen boats out there getting blown around as well.

Any magic depths or lures bait for the springs??? Lookin at headin there in the morning, hopfulyy the wind will cooperate!

Thanks

All on bait, and all spread out. I think the difference was the springs had a chance because the coho weren't crazy thick. 90' in 120' of water was best for me today.

Anyone else out last night around sooke? Saw a few other guys sticking it out but after we got worked by a few waves, we decided a fish wasn't worth sinking.

Heard a rumor of a guy gtting a 49 lber in becher bay?? anyone else hear about it???

Got a few today as well but WOW wind and chop other charters and the ol regulars were getting them too seems more springs are showing up (in patches)
.....coho were not as bad on wed (thanks god) must have caught 30 plus of them funny to THROW back hatcheries see you on the water
Wolf

Heard a rumor of a guy gtting a 49 lber in becher bay?? anyone else hear about it???
I was told by a friend that Thursday morning, the same day we went to Otter in the fog and tough seas, a guy in a tin boat got a 49 pounder deep in the Bay. (like right in the bay, just south west of the ramp area where the year round trailers are kept)
Don't know who he was or any other details AND I didn't get the story first hand, so I guess it is still a rumor.

went out to fish the trap shack this morning around 6am,,lots of boats out,,beautiful day on the water,,we got our limit of clipped coho up to 10 lbs(1) the other 5 were between 7 & 8lbs,,release 23 wilds and about 4 of them were about 12lbs,,nice firm healthy fish,,dfo has got to open it up for at least one wild,,that would be nice,,,we seen all kinds of guys releaseing wilds,,,everybody,,
we also had about a 16lb chinook up to the boat but got off the rook had that one,,,too bad rook,,had a few more chinook on but couldn't get them close enough to get them in the net,

Consultant’s Invitational Fishing Derby http://www.fishingderbyonline.com/DerbyPage?derbyID=54
Not to many springs....

1. 22.60 lbs Chinook Salmon July 28 Brendan Sterling - (#117) 14
2. 22.50 lbs Chinook Salmon July 28 Kevin Smitten - (#112) 17
3. 16.80 lbs Chinook Salmon July 28 Tristan Smith - (#119) 5
4. 15.10 lbs Chinook Salmon July 28 Dennis Mccallum - (#115) 5
5. 13.20 lbs Chinook Salmon July 28 Christoph Moch - (#110) 11
6. 9.80 lbs Chinook Salmon July 28 Mark Miard - (#120) 2
7. 9.70 lbs Chinook Salmon July 28 Christian Madsen - (#103) 5
8. 6.50 lbs Chinook Salmon July 28 Al Fontes - (#105)

Guested a couple of people in the Consultant's Derby today. No chinook at all and just a few coho to around 6lbs. Nowhere near the crazy day that we had on Thursday. Ended with 3 hatchery. Don't know how or where people were catching the 10 and 12 lb fish posted on here. Been out four times for Coho now and never saw one bigger than 7lbs and must have brought well over 50 to the boat in these trips. Some folks on here must have very special tricks!! LOL

The Consultant's Derby did get a few chinook from Possession and Trap area but everyone I spoke to got their fish early between 5am and 7am. We got there around 7:30am and did not see any action and I don't think much was caught after 7am . The early birds got all the worms today!!

Last edited by a moderator:
it was this years, just incomplete at that point - weather cooperated, fishing not bad, raised another 10k for SSE, no complaints here....so close Roy, so close!

Back