Sooke Basin Chum Derby

victoriaboater

I have been hearing rumors about a chum derby in or around Sooke basin. Anyone know anything about this?

I wonder if this is the same guy that tried to run a fly-fishing only derby in Langford Lake last month. The only place they advertised was in Used Victoria and a poster at Westshore Sportfishing. Needless to say, it was cancelled due to lack of interest.[B)]

Someone really needs to take some lessons in advertising and/or promotions. I would think that they need to get a poster to the 4 big tackle shops; Robinsons, Island Outfitters, Westshore Sportfishing and Eagle Eye Outfitters or no ones gonna be entering this one either. You can't even read the particulars on the attached flyer on UsedVic, so why even bother posting it there?? Also, posting this on the local fishy websites like this one, FishBC and Killfish and others would target a good portion of the fisherman too. Too lazy to do the leg work I guess. Geez, maybe take another 6 copies and drop them into the local Crappy Tire stores (if they'll let ya'). Maybe contact the local fishing clubs, like Sidney, James Bay, and Esquimalt Anglers while you're at it. They could throw a poster on the clubhouse wall and maybe even post it on their respective websites.

Both of these derbies could be excellent, with a little thought and more effort than just posting it on UsedVictoria. Another consideration to give when organizing a venture of this sort is the committment made to you by the Sponsors. From what I could see, they've offered up a couple of 5 day trips and some other stuff that I couldn't read on that poster. Do you think that they have received equal benefit for the dollars that they have put out for prizes? I'd be willing to bet that they would like see a minimum of 100 boats on the water and at their ramp, even only for their advertising concerns.

C'mon! Get on with it!! Print up a few more poster and drop them off on your way home from work. Google up the local fish clubs and get their web addresses. Do a good job and maybe we'll actually see a first annual Sooke Harbour Derby and a 2nd annual too, if you're lucky.

And yes, I will try and attend at some point during the week. I just don't like seeing a half a$$ job when I have purchased my tix,and got everything prepped only to get the "sorry cancelled" call the night before.

Just my rant for the day, but hoping the organizer sees this.
Fishhawk.

Seafood, eat it, then catch more.

I don't think there are any sponsors other than Sooke Harbour Marina. At least that's what I make of it. Looks to me like it's advertising for Sooke Harbour Marina cleverly disguised as a fishing derby.

who cares if its advertising...u get to go out fishing and win some pretty sweet prizes...if it was the summer u would probably be all over it...theres fish out there i know for myself...and atleast they are donating to a charity..

Just heard an ad for this on the radio. Its this weekend. Anyone going in this? I've never targeted chum here. Is it worth the effort?

quote:Originally posted by kildonan

I don't think there are any sponsors other than Sooke Harbour Marina. At least that's what I make of it. Looks to me like it's advertising for Sooke Harbour Marina cleverly disguised as a fishing derby.
I'll second that!

And you'd think with the last name 'Barrie',it would be promoted to the hilt! Is first prize a round of golf at big brothers course? ;)

Was told all the proceeds will go to Sooke Salmon Enhancement Society.
Can anyone confirm this?

I'll be out tommorow. Good luck yall ;)

gonefishingsign.gif

Hey Gypseas
I talk to them last weekend and they were saying that all the money raised went to Sooke Salmon Enhancement. We'll probably be out tomorrow too. See ya at the dock.

quote:Originally posted by juandesooka

I believe it closes at noon, then bbq 12-3, then prizes after 3.

I got on the water today for a few hours. One small "dinner fish", one bigger one to the boat that shook the hook, and a couple of bites that didn't hook up.

The bites came deep 150ish, off the trailer park.
my goodness,finally some fish caught off my park. ya know it was named for me and my bros',EH? heheheheheheh,funny,eh? [:eek:)]

Back