Sooke Area

otter

Why is Sooke so slow this season? Common knowledge by now that so far it has been a off season for consistent runs of Springs. Intersted by peoples comments and opinions.
Thanks all.

B Gibb

Good question Otter, you are not the only one wondering what is going on. It has been very spiratic at best for most. I have been out alot and have had days where i limitted on springs in just a few hours to nothing in the way of even a sniff of a spring for a whole day. The Humpies have even been hard to find some days, yet crazy pests others. Last week was great for many and stupidly slow for others. I'm talking about guys who know what there doing, fishing within a hundred yards of another. I have not seen much feed or birds compared to last season and i have also noticed the whales are not passing by there usual once or twice a day chasing fish. Where is all the feed and herring balls??? All the days i have hit springs have been days the whales were seen going by either early morning or late afternoon. I have heard many theory's in regards to the long ebbs keeping the majority of the feed pushed way offshore right down to the earth being pushed off axis 3 degrees from the tsnumai, but who knows maybe it's just the late sunny summer weather and the wet spring we've had.

I am rventing today,another thing, when are the powers to be going to realize and impose, BAN no net fishing on our river systems?
BAN them and compensate the netters with financial compensation. Somewhat similar perhaps to compensating the farmers yearly re crop failure if you will. Its really a no brainer and the sooner this province starts its own fisheries regulations less the futile input from the eastern bearucrats, the better. It is necessary.

B Gibb

I agree Otter,

Right now the fisheries around the larger centers (Vancouver, Victoria, and Nanaimo) are in poor shape. By improving the fishery in those areas there are millions of dollars in tourism money to be made alone. That will compensate

TT out

Just up in the Charlottes where they opened commecial fishing this season to a limit of 90000 chinook salmon. that is 40000+ more that last year up there but yet everyone wonders where the fish are. Better management for the recreational native and commericial!! (what happen to one over one under, funny how good the fishing got after a catch and release year as well.)

Give me a Ralph Klein government and you would get results?action All this government/beaurcrats do is brag about the Bait Car Program and uncovering grow Ops. Fine, alls important but their priorities are mixed up. Time for the people to rise up and shout.

B Gibb

Unless DFO takes care of enforcement issues in the major river systems (especially the Fraser), things can and will only get worse. It's sad to see that the government doesn't have the balls to deal with problem. Those in power prefer to look the other way rather than deal with issue head on.

Is Canada better than the U.S. when it comes to protecting salmon?

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

I read an interesting article in one of the american papers talking about the lack of feed in waters from California up to the Washington coast. One of the earliest signs that something different was going on this year was that major bird colonies from California to here were not raising any chicks at all. Dead seabirds that died from starvation have been washing up along their coast at an unusually high rate. I know the scientists from this coast looking at the colonies from Triangle Island were talking about the same thing. The article attributed this lack of feed to a failure of ocean upwelling to occur along the Pacific coast of North America. Upwelling is the vertical mixing of the water column that normally occurs in early spring, bringing the nutrients up from the bottom to where increased hours of sunshine start the plankton blooms normally associated with summertime on the coast. The article stated that the unusual weather patterns this spring caused the prevailing winds to come from a different direction, thus preventing the upwelling from occurring. It explained the effect wind has on upwelling by saying it's like pouring cream gently in a cup of coffee. You can mix the cream up from the bottom by blowing across the top of the coffee. The thinking goes: no upwelling=no plankton=no baitfish=starving seabirds.
From our fishing perspective it doesn't take a scientist to figure out what this might mean for salmon runs. It would explain why the few fish we are seeing are undersized. I haven't heard much more about this but everything that I'm seeing from fishing here in Sooke is consistent with what this article says. What I'm curious about is where along the coast this phenomena occurred--how far north? The Bristol Bay sockeye runs in Alaska are huge this year with big, healthy fish. Obviously they haven't been affected. I'm going to email a buddy who sports fishes out of Homer and see how his season is going up there for chinooks. As for the native net fishery on the Fraser--yes it is a crime and something should be done about it but I don't think it is the culprit in what we're seeing this year. Good topic, Otter, let's keep it alive if anyone hears anything else.
T2

Edited by - tsquared on 07/25/2005 05:44:16

Unless DFO takes care of enforcement issues in the major river systems (especially the Fraser), things can and will only get worse. It's sad to see that the government doesn't have the balls to deal with problem. Those in power prefer to look the other way rather than deal with issue head on.

Red Monster,

This will be good news for you. The Fraser is patrolled by DFO 24/7 night and day. From what I heard from my Indian friends, nobody is fishing right now and I would tend to believe that. My wife works for a native housing society in Vancouver and there would usually be signs in the lobby of their buildings advertising sockeye. This year nothing. Working in a native environment I would be asked a hundred times a year if I wanted salmon, this year nothing.

I think DFO IS doing their job this year and no confrontation. I think the Natives knew it was coming...

Patrice

It's better to burn out than to fade away

That's good news, Gros. Thanks for the information. I hope the DFO receives the funds and political support needed to do the job right. I also wish folks would stop buying illegeal fish!

T2: Interesting theory. Thanks for that detailed report. Let's hope it's a shortlived cycle and next year is back to normal.

Remember, it's called "fishing," not "catching."

Back