sooke area: Current prediction app, Question about timing wrong?

TelStar26

Hey Guys, I use both Murrys table and an app called "ayetides". The app allows me to select local currents stations and tide stations.
The closest current stations for my area are (fishing off sooke) Juan defuca station and Race rocks. Race rocks currents are hardly comparable to the currents off sooke. And the Juan defuca station I believe is way way out in the straight, to the east of sooke (I think) It seems to be the most accurate predictions of tides for my area, but still can be off by hours!
Can somebody lend me a hand? Give me some advice? What do you use? And how accurate is the timing?
Possibly back eddies are effecting me? Lets use just south of sheringham point as an example of my usually fishing area.
I would greatly appreciate any help or advise in predicting the currents in said area more precisely!
Reply, private message, or text me any time!
Alan
250-883-8852

also, In general the Murrys tables seem
To be more accurate than the app.. Is this just me?

I use Navionics to view the currents from the posted stations. You're correct that the Race Rocks currents are different than Sooke, but the timing is similar. If you are midway between two current reporting location than your time would be halfway between the two. If Race Rocks is at full flood current at 1400, I'm guessing you hit full flood around 1330?

Once you figure out your offset at your location, it should remain consistent

Thanks for the reply aheny, I have the Navionics app also now I think about it. I never new it did currents. You've found the navionics app to be consistent and reliable with current predictions?
Thanks again for your input.

Thanks for the reply aheny, I have the Navionics app also now I think about it. I never new it did currents. You've found the navionics app to be consistent and reliable with current predictions?
Thanks again for your input.

Navionics is merely copying the data provided by DFO. I've never noticed any errors personally, I would assume there is a process for them to get the data from DFO without human error. It would be hard to tell if DFO is wrong, when you're anchored up the current is going to be different from whichever current reporting station they are using. (but it should be consistently different)

We were just struggling with this again yesterday, as we have for years. The back eddies are one variable, and timing between pillar point, race rocks and other current stations another confounding factor. Then throw in the time change which I never know if Navionics takes into account automatically and I'm never sure if I take into account when looking at the Murray tables...and the fact that on similar current predictions don't result in similar conditions from one time to another (when looking back in my notes, albeit sparse notes). Keeping better personal notes would probably help clear up this confusion but then, where is my sense of adventure? Sinking the buoy on my halibut anchor system yesterday was exciting, and having to change spots and waste fishing time once you can actually get your gear on the bottom 2 hours later than you expect slack current to occur.

Hi Ryan, Ill try that app out, thanks.
aheny, Yea i agree, It should be consistently off. Ive started taking notes to help me keep track of this.
Seagirt, Thats exactly what im talking about.... exactly.
That being said, The murrys tables were spot on for me on sunday.

Thanks for all the info guys,

Back