Something Wicked This Way Comes - ON THE LINE

"The company closed the two lines as a precaution after discovering an oil spill – which it estimated at 750 barrels – from a pipeline that links CNOOC Ltd.’s Long Lake oil-sands processor near Fort McMurray to the province’s export network. Enbridge said unusually heavy rains appeared to cause a release, which sent small quantities of crude into local waterways.

Enbridge chief executive Stephen Wuori said the first priority was the safety of crews operating in the region.

“Our second priority is to complete the assessments as quickly as can be safely accomplished, and to restore service on these lines in order to minimize impacts to our customers,” he said in a statement."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...nd-spill-in-northern-alberta/article12769832/

Priority 1: Safety of crews (fair enough)
Priority 2: Complete assessments and restore service to minimize impact to customers (hmmm?)

Made we wonder where things like safety to local community via drinking water, air quality, human/animal contact, etc and short and long term environmental impacts rank on Enbridge's priority list. Even with a few days to think about how to best convey this spill to the public this is what they come up with?

I am happy to see at this point that there we no more massive leaks, etc as a result of the flooding in AB but it just goes to show you, once again, that between human error AND more extreme weather (ironically in part to tarsands development) we are going to see spills, leaks, accidents happen with 100% certainty, even according to Enbridge's submission to the JRP. It's a matter of how often and how severe and that is why so many are opposed to more pipelines in BC.

Made we wonder where things like safety to local community via drinking water, air quality, human/animal contact, etc and short and long term environmental impacts rank on Enbridge's priority list. Even with a few days to think about how to best convey this spill to the public this is what they come up with?

I am happy to see at this point that there we no more massive leaks, etc as a result of the flooding in AB but it just goes to show you, once again, that between human error AND more extreme weather (ironically in part to tarsands development) we are going to see spills, leaks, accidents happen with 100% certainty, even according to Enbridge's submission to the JRP. It's a matter of how often and how severe and that is why so many are opposed to more pipelines in BC.

Right on Tincan. Spills and accidents are a certainty. It is just a matter of how much, where and who's livelihood gets destroyed.

And I too found it ironic and amusing that the aquatic Armageddon fell on Calgary, since extreme weather events like this are connected to global warming. Perhaps if they keep pumping the tar sands they can turn Alberta into the shallow sea it once was when the fossil fuel deposits were laid down!! LOL

Right on Tincan. Spills and accidents are a certainty. It is just a matter of how much, where and who's livelihood gets destroyed.

And I too found it ironic and amusing that the aquatic Armageddon fell on Calgary, since extreme weather events like this are connected to global warming. Perhaps if they keep pumping the tar sands they can turn Alberta into the shallow sea it once was when the fossil fuel deposits were laid down!! LOL

This is a dickhead comment Englishman,nobody wishes that misery on anyone, 3 people lost their lives also did you find that amusing too?

This is a dickhead comment Englishman,nobody wishes that misery on anyone, 3 people lost their lives also did you find that amusing too?
Perhaps you are right jwc. Of course misery and hardship, or worse is inflicted on actual people when things like this happen. I don't find that amusing.
But on the other hand do those Alberta politicians who so proudly promote their tar sands and piplines give a s##t about the thousands of people who will die and millions of people who will be displaced when Bangladesh succumbs to rising sea levels and is rendered largely uninhabitable?
My amusement and scorn is levelled at those politicians who ignore or scoff at those facts; not the people who suffer at their hands.

Well Englishman you are really denigrating yourself when you take that tact. Blaming the oilsands for a plight of a people that has been in the making for thousands of years, who will you blame for the earthquake that is proposed to happen in the lower mainland of BC. Real estate in this zone is going for a premium is the Government of BC doing anything to mitigate?
Keep your focus on the pipeline but remember that your Government is facilitating a pipeline to move natural gas which also has toxic liquids in it.
Global warming has been quite a while in the making and coal burning has played a big part in the making which has involved more than just Alberta.
When you focus all the blame on one group you are repeating in a way what happened during the second world war.
In no way am I saying Oilsands is clean AND good for the environment. I am just suggesting that you show some caution in what you say.

Well Englishman you are really denigrating yourself when you take that tact. Blaming the oilsands for a plight of a people that has been in the making for thousands of years, who will you blame for the earthquake that is proposed to happen in the lower mainland of BC. Real estate in this zone is going for a premium is the Government of BC doing anything to mitigate?
Keep your focus on the pipeline but remember that your Government is facilitating a pipeline to move natural gas which also has toxic liquids in it.
Global warming has been quite a while in the making and coal burning has played a big part in the making which has involved more than just Alberta.
When you focus all the blame on one group you are repeating in a way what happened during the second world war.
In no way am I saying Oilsands is clean AND good for the environment. I am just suggesting that you show some caution in what you say.

I take your point Gunsmith. I will henceforth continue to focus on the topic of this thread, the Northern Gateway Pipeline, and leave the wider discussion of individual, community, corporate and political responsibility for the impacts of global warming to other debating arena's. My apologies for that.

You are a gentleman and a scholar! :)

Kitimat ocean program set for oil tankers

A little-noticed federal ocean monitoring program around Kitimat is the clearest signal yet that the federal government is preparing the region for crude oil tanker traffic, Green Party MLA Andrew Weaver says.
Weaver was catching up on his scientific reading after the B.C. election when he stumbled on a line – "almost a throwaway" – in the April issue of Canadian Ocean Science Newsletter.
"A major initiative in planning is the complementary measures project for the area surrounding Kitimat British Columbia to support planned oil traffic," it says.
Government scientists who developed the system in the Gulf of St. Lawrence say it is to help "search and rescue, oil spill response and to ensure safe and navigable waterways."
Weaver said the project goes well beyond research, and represents a major ongoing budget commitment by Environment Canada and Fisheries and Oceans Canada to forecast ocean conditions for oil tanker traffic.
"My conclusion is, come hell or high water, the intention of the feds right now is to ship bitumen to Asia through Kitimat," Weaver said in an interview. "Whether it be through rail or through pipeline, it's going to happen, and I don't think that British Columbians are getting the whole picture here."
Environment Canada spokesman Mark Johnson issued a statement confirming the program was funded in the 2012 federal budget, under the government's "responsible resource development" initiative.
Its purpose is to "to improve the scientific understanding of diluted bitumen products and to improve operational capabilities to provide timely scientific assessment in the event of an oil spill.
"The Government of Canada is increasing research into non-conventional petroleum products to fortify Canada's marine prevention, preparedness and response capabilities.
"In terms of ocean forecasting, Environment Canada Meteorological Service of Canada will bring specific contributions to this overall goal in the provision of high-resolution surface winds forecasts along the complex waterways from Kitimat to Hecate Strait area, as winds play an important role as input to oil spill modelling assessment."
A federal assessment panel is preparing recommendations for the federal cabinet on the Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline project, which would deliver diluted bitumen from Alberta to the Kitimat port.
Weaver said Ottawa's apparent rush to export heavy crude increases the pollution risk on land and ocean, and also works against development of a petrochemical industry in Canada.

That is appalling GLG. The work they are doing and the budget they have for the project shows a cynical disregard of the review process and sends a message that the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

Well despite the Fed's blatant “optimism” it ain’t over yet. The people of BC and especially the First Nations will see to that.

Meanwhile the Kinder Morgan fight is still going as well and a big crude oil spill in Georgia Strait or JDF is not something to contemplate.

If you want to send a letter to Christy Clarke to request that BC takes back it’s right to a local made in BC environmental review process you can do so here.
http://wildernesscommittee.org/ask_christy_clark_stand_bc

billboard offensive?
li-bc-131907-burns-lake-sign-thumb-434x244-313228.jpg

http://www.cbc.ca/daybreaknorth/int...stirs-up-controversy-in-burns-lake/index.html

It is totally ridiculous that someone is using the term "offensive" in their opposition to this sign. They may disagree with it, that may dislike the message it sends for economic or other reasons, but "offensive" it is not. It is a blatant attempt to undermine free speech and the expression of an opinion on a development proposal.

Some of these pipeline proponents will stop at nothing to prevent negative views being expressed. What is really "offensive" is that they should cynically try and manipulate or portray the message of the sign in this way. They are really showing their colours on this one and it is the colours of an "offensive" bully.

Skeena River missing from liquefied natural gas project map

An environmental group says an incorrect map may have misled the public about a proposed liquefied natural gas project near Prince Rupert.
The Canadian Environmental Assessment Office is currently reviewing the Pacific NorthWest LNG export facility and marine terminal.
The project originally omitted the Skeena River — a major river near the proposed plant — from a map in its review application.
The incorrect map was posted on the assessment office's website while it was seeking public comments and applications to participate in the review process. Those deadlines have now passed.
Jessica Clogg, the executive director of West Coast Environmental Law, fears the mistake may have influenced some people's decision about whether to participate in the review.
"It was supposed to allow citizens to consider whether they would be impacted, or whether values they care about would be impacted, and whether they wanted to have their voice heard,” she said.
“And there is a risk that people made a decision on the basis of incorrect information."
Clogg is calling on the Canadian Environmental Assessment Office to extend the deadlines.
A spokesperson for the office says it is reviewing the request.
The company that created the map says the missing Skeena River was the result of a "technical error."
The mistake has been corrected and a new map has since been posted.
The proposed project would see a $25-billion facility built off the coast of northwestern B.C.
Pacific NorthWest LNG plans to build three so-called trains, the cooling units where the liquefication of gas occurs, on Lelu Island in the Port Edward district south of Prince Rupert.
The site will be used to liquefy and export natural gas produced by Calgary-based Progress Energy Canada.

The trains will eventually produce six million tonnes of LNG per year each for about 25 years, with a total capacity of 19.68 million tonnes a year when all trains are functioning at 100 per cent, which is rarely the case.

The project would also see a 750-kilometre pipeline constructed to supply gas to the plant.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/08/20/bc-skeena-river-map-lng.html

So in a nut shell the Skenna is expendable as long as the Gas companies and the government make money. Oh and as long as there are jobs for ?????? because it's their gas.....
http://www.progressenergy.com/about

We take the risk and they take the money.... When the shyte hit's the fan ... you and I pickup the tab and the river dies.....

Progress Energy is a mid-sized natural gas producer, operating in northwest Alberta and northeast British Columbia. Progress was acquired by PETRONAS, the Malaysian national oil and gas company in December 2012. - See more at: http://www.progressenergy.com/about#sthash.aSN5nW6N.dpuf

People think that gas lines are clean, wrong they also carry dangerous liquids. :(

Gunsmith, whether or not there are liquids in the gas or not, depends on what "type" of gas they are selling. The sales gas that comes into our homes is very dry. It has already gone through various steps of processing to remove condensate (which, at this time, is worth more than the gas) and produced water.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It is to my understanding that this cleansing is to be done at the delivery point, but I could be mistaken.

Gunsmith, whether or not there are liquids in the gas or not, depends on what "type" of gas they are selling. The sales gas that comes into our homes is very dry. It has already gone through various steps of processing to remove condensate (which, at this time, is worth more than the gas) and produced water.

I honestly don't know what they are planning to move through this proposed pipeline, but the very large company I work for removes all of the liquids before sending the gas further down the line. I may be wrong, but I just can't see a company shipping raw, unprocessed natural gas down the line, when they can strip so much valuable liquid before shipping the gas.

The recent discussion above is very relevant. We should be worrying very seriously about what is flowing in those pipelines both now and in the future. Depending on the product being shipped the industry changes the composition of what is in those pipelines at various times.

Seems they did that with the tankers in Lac Magantic too. Raw crude does not explode in huge fireballs like that. Seems hazardous flammable compounds were in those tankers too and no one knew or cared.

Very good article about this topic here.
http://elizabethmaymp.ca/news/publications/island-tides/2013/08/15/whats-in-those-pipelines/

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.canada.com/Quicksilver+names+site+Discovery/8546424/story.html

[h=1]Quicksilver names CR site Discovery LNG[/h]

Courier-IslanderJune 19, 2013

The new owners of the former mill site in Campbell River have called it Discovery LNG.
Quicksilver Resources Canada Inc. (Quicksilver), an oil and gas exploration company based out of Calgary, Alberta, is investigating options to build and operate natural gas liquefaction, storage and on-loading facilities, called Discovery LNG, on the north side of Campbell River, the company said on its website.
Their website says it "would be designed, built and operated with responsibility and safety as primary concerns. Natural gas itself is very safe and is not flammable or explosive in its liquid state. It is also the lowest greenhouse gas emitting fossil fuel. The site says Discovery LNG would Expand BC's opportunities in the global LNG market, "contribute significantly to the BC economy by bringing billions in tax and royalty revenue to the Province in addition to jobs and spin off benefits."
The site said Discovery LNG would provide a "brand new page in the history of the Campbell River project site, formerly occupied by Catalyst Paper.
The potential multi-billion dollar project would be an important contributor to the local economy and would partially be built on an industrial site, previously used by the Elk Falls Mill, which would be remediated over the life of the project."
Their website also says it "would be designed, built and operated with responsibility and safety as primary concerns. Natural gas itself is very safe and is not flammable or explosive in its liquid state. It is also the lowest greenhouse gas emitting fossil fuel. The site says Discovery LNG would Expand BC's opportunities in the global LNG market, "contribute significantly to the BC economy by bringing billions in tax and royalty revenue to the Province in addition to jobs and spin off benefits."

Discovery LNG says it will undergo a comprehensive environmental assessment and impact studies to ensure the project has no significant effect on the environment.
Quicksilver is planning to begin the regulatory process for the project before the end of 2013. Pending Regulatory approvals and permits, construction for the first phase of the potential project is expected to take approximately four years, with the Project anticipated to be operational by 2019.

© Copyright (c) Postmedia News

Company website
http://www.discoverylng.com/

so folks this is in our backyard... will it affect us?... read the info and decide.....
GLG

Back