sockeye vancouver area

waddy29

when do the sox arrive around the vancouver area. I heard the fraser run is supposed to be phenominal but I have never fished for sox locally

anyone wanna give me a time frame? and im assuming you would fish them at the mouth of the fraser and the same way you would in the alberni inlet

The real numbers come in mid July and go till the end of August. Something about the Fraser Sockeye, they are the best tasting Sockeye, very sweet. Cant wait.

Hi Waddy,
The time socs arrive in Vancouver in any big way with lots of schools, varys a bit. Usually there are a few around in late July but often its not till the end of the 1rst week of August or during the 2nd week we start targeting them in a bigger way. I have kept Aug 7-31st open as I possible can for this reason. Looking at past logs the last two weeks of August seems your best bet. One big problem has been if or when the fishery opens, and if it opens , how long the opening. In 2006 we had awesome opening time (just over a month, I believe) with awesome fishing. There were days in 2006 off sandheads /T10 where my boat hooked 50-60 socs in three hrs !!
Use lots of dummy flashers, troll slow and keep trolling when landing fish, bringing up one downrigger at time when re setting lines - and look for schools and stay with them.
Photo should get the juices flow'in for this year !! a shot of my guests after a trip to sandheads in 2006 ! Limit for 5, anyone ?

Sorry no browse comes up to allow for attachment of photo!! I'll try on my home computer later

Soc_limit%20_for_five_%20Sept%204_06.jpg

A limit for 5 people (released several and lost about 25 -30). This year we can only hope for this!

Does anyone have any info from DFO whether or when Sockeye would open. I will be ready when it is.javascript:insertsmilie(':)')
Smile :)

Hey Peahead, I bet the kids had a great time and will remember that day for the rest of their lives. Thats what fishing is all about!

quote:Originally posted by poco

yep 4 a day. nice catch

Yep...a nice catch..and the BEST part of it all...was those Sox weren't caught with a net or by flossing!!!

:D:D:D

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

Hey Peahead, I bet the kids had a great time and will remember that day for the rest of their lives. Thats what fishing is all about!

So true Brisco! ...the kids will never forget that day. Funny because they lost so many fish but it really didn't matter as you just had to wait a min. or two and there would be a couple more on!
I do remember though, when we got back to the marina at Fisherman's Cove that when we spread out all the socs for that photo , a women came by and tore a strip off of me! She said "its no wonder there are no fish left in the ocean". Rather than let that go I actually got her to stop for a bit of a information session. I explained that the fish were all caught within the DFO regs and represented a saltwater limit catch for 5 people using 4 rods/reels and lures - no nets or shopping carts ;) ( as FM pointed out :) ) I further explained about spawning grounds and "escapement" numbers. Not only were there going to be easily enough socs making it to the spawning grounds to meet escapement numbers but that sometimes there can be overcrowding of fish at the spawning grounds which is not good. I expained sportfishing takes a very small, somewhat insignificant number of salmon in general as compared to the other sectors ( commercial and native )but with a much higher economic value. She was enlightened ! I think it is important to educate the public ( especially when you are displaying a bucket load of fish ) on this sort of thing. Often these sort of negative reactions are emotional and come from those just simply lacking information.
The last thing the kids wanted to hear was someone complaining about their fish and spoiling their best fishing day ever. I wasn't about to let that women leave uninformed!.
Maybe the kids will get a chance to do this again this year!!

It's good to see people concerned and you did the right thing in explaining the regs etc. What we need are these same people to stop buying farm fish from local grocers to start.Its all about education.

Totally agree with you Peahead - except for maybe "
quote:sometimes there can be overcrowding of fish at the spawning grounds which is not good
- that's a bit of a stretch as an argument - even though you are not wrong. But overcrowding is better than undercrowding! And better is to leave that "DFO allows it so it must be right" argument somewhat subdued since we all know that DFO has screwed up many times before and allowed our fishery to fall apart in front of their watchful eyes. If someone fishes an area often and extensively he should have a good feeling and be responsible enough to figure out if the stocks can take a full ticket limit every time out. You would think this responsibility would be in his own interest. If someone comes to a new area eg. on vacation and hits the jackpot once or a few times this will be insignificant on the stocks since it's timely limited. It's the targeted and regular exploitation that can take a toll - I say CAN because as Peahead said, usually sportfishing exploitation is not very significant. Having said all that, I am sure Peahead is from the responsible category and would know if he killed the last sockeye that day. Congrats on a great catch and the fun you had with the kids!

Nice photos Peahead, and what a great experience for the young 'uns! I will never forget as a kid coming home to my Mom and younger brothers with a trunk load of blue gills after a day's fishing with my Old Man.(We lived in the States away from the Coast so could only lake fish.) I was soooo proud of him! Then we had to clean them all.

X2, Chris73, on speaking out for the occasional limiting out. For those of us who are fortunate enough to have the opportunity to make this a daily occurrence, remember to save some for the grand kids! Let's hope they show.

Not sure what anyone would complain about---legitimately hooked and angled Sockeye....limits for all on board...so what? I mean...with the flossers on the Fraser...I'd say there are easily 10000 flossed on an average day on the Fraser...never mind the poaching by the Natives and the truck loads which end up dumped in a ditch or shipped to Alberta and back east!!!

People need a reality check!!!!

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

Not sure what anyone would complain about---legitimately hooked and angled Sockeye....limits for all on board...so what? I mean...with the flossers on the Fraser...I'd say there are easily 10000 flossed on an average day on the Fraser...never mind the poaching by the Natives and the truck loads which end up dumped in a ditch or shipped to Alberta and back east!!!

Now settle down there Skeeter, poaching is done by all groups not just natives. :)

quote:Originally posted by Brisco

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

Now settle down there Skeeter, poaching is done by all groups not just natives. :)

Good point. However, there's the untold story out there about the magnitude of the problem. Sigh.

Back