sockeye@ T-10

B

Brisco

I took the day off today,people are mad at me, oh well.I picked up my dad at 5:30 a.m. and by 6:30 we were coming out the mouth of the Fraser.Holy Moly big rollers but little wind and no whitecaps so we hung around untill we saw a 18 Double Eagle heading south.He soon stopped and dropped his lines,we followed.We got used to the water and soon had two fish on and lost both.We were close to the airport when we landed a 8 lb. sock.After we reached T-10 we lost a few more and landed a few.It was worth the effort.There was a total of about 20 boats there.Can anyone tell me why they allow thousands of people to snag sockeye in the Fraser and they restrict the legitimate fisherman to the same closures? The salt chuck should remain open longer for real fishermen.

I agree, but dont forget, we got Socks opened earlier in the salt than in the river this year, and the salt limit was raised to 4 I think July 29. I think it is only 2 in the river. I would be very interested to see the total catch numbers for river compared to salt sport. I would guess the river sport fishery takes fifty times what the salt chuck trollers do.

quote:Originally posted by brisco

I took the day off today,people are mad at me, oh well.I picked up my dad at 5:30 a.m. and by 6:30 we were coming out the mouth of the Fraser.Holy Moly big rollers but little wind and no whitecaps so we hung around untill we saw a 18 Double Eagle heading south.He soon stopped and dropped his lines,we followed.We got used to the water and soon had two fish on and lost both.We were close to the airport when we landed a 8 lb. sock.After we reached T-10 we lost a few more and landed a few.It was worth the effort.There was a total of about 20 boats there.Can anyone tell me why they allow thousands of people to snag sockeye in the Fraser and they restrict the legitimate fisherman to the same closures? The salt chuck should remain open longer for real fishermen.

Agreed in a couple of ways. however, wild Cohoes are likely to be caught by trollers. Just as they are in the rivers by bottom bouncers.

You have a very VALID point though and I see your point.

However, as of this point, if you haven't put a few socks in your freezer from the saltchuck, particularly over the last week..you should be getting your BUTT out there NOW.

This AM was WICKED out there. I mean..like beyond your wildest dreams.

Flossing has to go though..NO DOUBT. I think not banning flossing is a travesty of the "sport".

However, looking forward to targetting the Big CHINOOKS soon.

Anyways...the closure is pegged for Sept. 6 I've heard...and the lower river downstream of the Mission bridge closes Sept. 4.

That announcement is due Friday or earlier.

Here's some facts about these river fishermen.They bring 2year olds who amazingly can land 25lb. springs and the limit of socks.Wife makes multiple trips home in the s.u.v. They fish in the morning and return at night.The limit means nothing.I do however totaly respect the true bar fisherman with bar rig ect.Perhaps I should start flossing the salt chuck with a gill net.

Its in reference to river fishermen who fish with long leaders and bounce their weight along bottom as it goes down stream. the fish are coming up stream .usually swimming close to bottom. While their mouths are open, the leader slides through and eventually the hook sets in the fishes jaw.The fish was not actually 'biting' but was infact 'snagged'. Hard to prove as a snag since it is actually hooked in the mouth making it legal. I believe a good # of salmon in rivers are caught this way.

I'm finally going to get out for some socks tomorrow AM out towards the QA / T10. Has anyone beeen out the past couple of days? The water was like glass off Point Grey this AM. It was all I could do to keep driving to work... Pink squirts still the best, or??? 'Chovies?

quote:Originally posted by Pangaea

I'm finally going to get out for some socks tomorrow AM out towards the QA / T10. Has anyone beeen out the past couple of days? The water was like glass off Point Grey this AM. It was all I could do to keep driving to work... Pink squirts still the best, or??? 'Chovies?

There's still some socks there...if you're fishing 4 rods...fish all Sock gear...and look for the other boats off the North Arm. If you're fishing more than four..run half n' half...half 'Chovies, half Sock gear.

just wondering but how would you fish more then four rods... like 3 rods on each rigger instead of two?

Back