Sockeye closure on the somass

Scott2010

June 29, 2015 until further notice: closure to all fishing in that portion of Subarea 23-1 from the tidal boundary signs at Paper Mill Dam on the Somass River downstream to a line commencing at a boundary sign in upper Alberni Harbour situated at 49°14.19 north latitude and 124°50.23 west longitude thence through the southernmost point of Hoik Island thence to the flashing green light at the mouth of the Somass River thence due east to a boundary sign on the opposite shore.

It doesn't make much sense to me that the river was closed after the first nations were netting them for over for a month before the closure. Wouldn't it make more sense to allow the earlier fish up, reach targeted ascapement numbers, then allow netting.

Secondly, why is it okay to kill em in the canal, but not the river? They still aren't gonna make it up to spawn. I don't buy into Sockeye mortality at papermill. I get not fishing for them in other areas to decrease stress ect with the high water temps. mind you why would you want to ; they're not very agressive fish in the river.
Sockeye is a kill fishery, we all bought a license with a salmon tag, yet not all of us have boats to go catch em. Pretty unfair to us shore guys.

They still allowed to keep 4 a day in the canal? bunch of BS

Just my 2 cents, Scott

Back