So Let’s Talk About It, Halibut 2013

so , the only way for the majority of us sportys that have a valid license, need to come over there to make a difference , or shut-up and live with it ??...you serious... is this not about all Canadians ...

all i am saying is , lets here some opotions , which we are , and have the sfab tally the votes , and propose it , whats s confusing about that , set-up a website with a poll, every vote accompanied with a Tidal lic#

simple..., i could get ALOT of voters from this side..

m2b

fd

so , the only way for the majority of us sportys that have a valid license, need to come over there to make a difference , or shut-up and live with it ??...you serious... is this not about all Canadians ...

all i am saying is , lets here some opotions , which we are , and have the sfab tally the votes , and propose it , whats s confusing about that , set-up a website with a poll, every vote accompanied with a Tidal lic#

simple..., i could get ALOT of voters from this side..

m2b

fd

FD, We are saying the same thing here. That was is the point of this thread ( to get feedback and suggestions from as many people as possible understanding that not all can make the meeting, and it is one I supported from it's conception..

In reading FD'S response I looked back at this post and now understand his reaction. I had left out a key point in my post so I have edited it to read correctly and have re posted it.

After reading 15 pages of fighting we have made Mr Pattersons job much easier. We are all pationate about fishing, why not direct that energy to the correct people, not each other. Richmake stated it correct. The hali issue is NOT a conservation issue, why are sporty's, guides and most on this post so willing to give up fish, days, seasons, or limits. 1 united front looking for transfered none caught comercial TAC will solve this issue. Why as a team of one are we not ONLY asking and accepting that as an answer. If only a segment of none comercial guys make recomendations we end up with a season as the last 2 years. I only see 1 answer (more TAC), we must ALL accept that as the way ahead and spend our energy and money on finding how to recieve it. My view, how do we get TAC?
HM

You are correct. More of the available TAC would provide us with the stable and predictable fishery we all desire. You would also be correct to say that More of the available TAC is what is needed to accurately represent the social and economical impact sport fishing has on this province and country for that matter.

However the fact is,
whether some of us are unable, or refuse to acknowledge,the 15 percent is all we will get for 2013 like it or not. The reality of that is,there is a very real possibility that we will be facing the same or worse conditions for the upcoming season. These are facts and the sport sector will again be faced with trying to manage it's season in a way that works best for the most people.

So let me ask you this. Do you want to wake up one morning to find out that there are new management measures in place that you did not even know had been considered? Or, do you want to at least know that you had the opportunity to have your opinion heard and that you were informed ?

If the answer is the later of the two then make your suggestions here, or better yet come to the meetings if you can. Either way you become part of the process. Like it or not DFO will soon be looking to those people who donate there time on our behalf for feedback regarding the best way to move forward into the 2013 season.

I for one,regardless if I agree with the final outcome for 2013 or not,will at least know that I took advantage of the opportunity to take part in the process

sorry , frustrating JC ,
seems like we have alot of good ideas here , IM NOT a sfab rep , why dont they start somthing here , get some numbers going ,just a bunch of repetitive bantering and mud slinging happening , lets get the top 10 ideas , set-up a poll , ive seen a poll on this site , anyone help here ???

remember , once ya give , its hard ta get back !!!

mine

full season March -Sept31
Annual Stamp
6 annual ( anysize)
if the annual 6 dont fly , gifting of guides fish banned ( personally dont see that here in 123 from our group ) assuming that its a problem
out of Country Double the Stamp fee
2/2 any size , Transported by the tag licensee only ,
all fish recorded and documented on back of license
no renewal to anglers that have NOT returned there licence from prior year

last,,,Area allocation !! not all of us live or fish 5-10 mins to the grounds , therefore keep alot less or no fish !! ( i keep hearing this would be to hard ta do , why lingcod and salmon ! but not Halibut ?? ,,,i call bs )
area allocation would be monitored by camps , cleaning stations , resorts , whatever , trust me , when a sporty sees someone doing somthing illegal ,
there talked to , embarrass factor usually prevents it from it happening again , post the regs at every public marina , outfiitter , fuel docks whatever , for every differently regulated area ,,not that difficult , most sportys are honest and follow the regs..

there not perfect ideas , i may get some more , but these seem ta be common ground from a few on this site,,

LETS GET A POLL SET-UP asap... GLG where are ya , ??? Island Girl ???

Last edited by a moderator:
I want for all saltwater licence holders:

1) a hali season Feb 1 - Dec 31
2) bag-possession limit: 2/3
3) I'd be ok with an annual limit of 10.

This is very easily achievable by giving the sport sector what they need for this and then leave the rest for the commercial fleet.

I see next season as slightly reduced from last.
No amount of bitching and complaining will change our 15% or the TAC when it
is calculated by the IPHC.
It has been proven that this government is dismantling DFO piece by piece
They simply do not want to deal with regulating sport fisheries
and would rather turn it over to the commercial sector who are capable
of making large donations.

Therefore ,

We will likely get no annual limit
We will likely get 1 daily / 2 poss. (with slot size)
We will likely see March15 - Aug 30. season

The rec fisher sector deserves more TAC.... plain and simple. That would stop all the infighting amongst us.

I personally never gift Halibut. They can reel in their own damn fish plus i like eating them.

Why have regulations if there is no enforcement? We need more fisheries officers on the job

It's a free for all out there

I want for all saltwater licence holders:

1) a hali season Feb 1 - Dec 31
2) bag-possession limit: 2/3
3) I'd be ok with an annual limit of 10.

This is very easily achievable by giving the sport sector what they need for this and then leave the rest for the commercial fleet.

Why should the commercial sector be the only business affected by conservation? I can see a quota set up strictly for the independent local angler but everyone else should pay the price of conservation.

thats a bit harsh FT, its up to you and us to help protect our halibut , ALL FISH ,
if ya see somthin illegal , do somthin about it , Embarass him ,let em know hes an asshole in front of everyone.. , or REPORT him..
I dont see a free for all at our tables , most are pretty good guys , lookin out for the future , problem is , theres too may fisherman lol..
we need more pie !!

fd

The rec fisher sector deserves more TAC.... plain and simple. That would stop all the infighting amongst us.

I personally never gift Halibut. They can reel in their own damn fish plus i like eating them.

Why have regulations if there is no enforcement? We need more fisheries officers on the job

It's a free for all out there

This is what I would like.
1. A Full Season… Not just a Lodge and Guide Season. Some of us work during the summer months.
2. Possession Limit of 2/2 No Slot Size as that was a stupid idea.
3. Halibut Stamp. To pay for Legal Issues and enforcement. NOT FOR BUYING QUOTA
4. Annual Limit of 5. Measurement’s recorded and returned at end of season.
5. Separate Non-Resident License Limited to 10 Chinook, 10 Coho, 5 Lings and 2 Halibut Possession Limit 1/1. Must Be Recorded and Returned or be banned for a Min. 5 Years.
6. All anglers to have an angler/sportsman number which is needed to buy licenses ofany type and for everyone including Non-Residents. Don’t other provinces do something like this already?

thats a bit harsh FT, its up to you and us to help protect our halibut , ALL FISH ,
if ya see somthin illegal , do somthin about it , Embarass him ,let em know hes an asshole in front of everyone.. , or REPORT him..
I dont see a free for all at our tables , most are pretty good guys , lookin out for the future , problem is , theres too may fisherman lol..
we need more pie !!

fd

There's more than just our dock and i'm too busy to police them......not my job.

Sure, i call the rat line 30+ times a season and the fish cops on their celphones but the offenders are long gone by the time they get there - so very frustrating!!

Yes, too many fishermen. Need to raise the annual resident licenses as well as the no resident ones, lol.

Thanks to those that have added constructive suggestions. Others ... not so much...
I know we would all like to get back to the old days of plenty of halibut for all.
It's just not going to happen for the 2013 season.
We are tasked with keeping within our Recreational TAC, plain and simple.
As I see it, our best option is 1 over and 1 under, like last year.
Even with this we still need to slow down the amount we harvest or we will go over again.
I suggest we limit our harvest by adding to our license a yearly amount.
What amount, should be decided by people that know what they are talking about.
If it is 2, 5 or 10 it needs to have an effect on the harvest, as that's the point.

Here is the options that I see as not the best for our sport.
1 and 1 - This would have an impact mostly on Canadians that travel far to have a chance to fish. This could keep people away from fishing for halibut and effect local communities. Not good for most Canadians.
Halibut stamp - How could we direct the money and are we just saying those that can afford a stamp get the chance.
Report all fish - How would that work? A website or phone site to report the fish you catch? How much would that cost? We need the numbers so we can close the season when we have reached our TAC. The suggestion that we report after the season with our data from our license won't work as we could over harvest with that plan.

I don't know how to "Poll" on this website...... I will see If I can read up on how to do this.
GLG

Time for you to get involved. Call the DFO office in your area and ask when the next meeting of the sfac is in your area.
This would give you a chance to help rather than whine.

the only way the slot would have worked , was if they guaranteed that it would stay open till Sept , which was NOT the case , they made it clear that they would shut it down when they felt our Sporty target was achieved ,

area 123-23,,, , I dont know of anyone that was forced to release a " Over Size " fish in our neighborhood , everyone thinks that when ya go out halli fishin , its a gimme , complete crap , unless maybe your a complete fricken genius and are on the water everyday !! ive been taught by one of the best on the hook , and am fortunate enuff to to average 30 - 40lb fish , 0 under the slot size hooked again this year on the hook... , im not gonna risk goin out my second day, and injuring a over size fish on a release ,, lookin for a pp paddle , am i being selfish ?/ ,,,would be nice ta bring 2 home again !!! I kept only 4 fish this season ,,,all i needed , freezer should be smilin for the winter..

if someone was actually counting , i would say the only reason it stayed open till september was we had alot of WIND this spring . kept Most" off the water , or hook...
not the case here though...0 fish counts

most boats have 3- 4 guys on it out our way , if you can whack your overs and unders on a weekend trip . your either a fricken God , or have to much lady luck on your side , again , WERE TALKIN ABOUT JOE SHMOES here .. just doesnt happen , most boats on average get 0 lol,,,some with experience get 1 or 3 ,

unless you had someone countin fish on your dock every day , where are we comin up with the numbers , NO COUNTING IN OUR MARINA all summer , ...a few of us sportys monitored the season numbers !! Poet Nook is bigger than most think , alot of Sportys come through here...numbers dont lie , August had the least amount of Hali all summer...most are in Lunker Salmon mode... May June and early July were by far the most productive for the guys that knew somewhat of what they were doing... again NON GUIDES !!! i know the slot is great for guides and lodges , but dont try ta convince us that it works for everyone... we gave , prob never get it back !!

,,, my issue is making the process more public ,
sounds like these meetings are not attended very well ,sounds like its even tuff getting the locals out , never mind guys across the pond, which most of us sportys come from id think ,where costs are a huge issue for attendance...,,, the reps that do attend , need to listen to all ideas by all of us out here , and not ram new regs down are throats again.. give us options , lets discuss and vote on it , why so secretive at times...?? get a website goin , a poll , somthin , cause this isnt workin... every license gets one vote , no vote , shut up and deal with it !!!

later...

fd

It seems many are in agreement with the stamp idea including myself. One thought I have to take it a step further would be to make it similar to deer tags, say each tag is good for 2 halibut. If it was decided that 10 hali was the annual limit there would be a space for 5 tags on the licence. I know for myself that I dont usualy catch 10 per year so I would only get a tag for what I needed on each trip. I think this could give us a better Idea of where the numbers are as the season moves along, as the licence vendors would be submiting the tag sales on a regular basis . Obviously the rules and regs would apply as usual as far as daily limit and possesion.

Thanks to those that have added constructive suggestions. Others ... not so much...
I know we would all like to get back to the old days of plenty of halibut for all.
It's just not going to happen for the 2013 season.
We are tasked with keeping within our Recreational TAC, plain and simple.
As I see it, our best option is 1 over and 1 under, like last year.
Even with this we still need to slow down the amount we harvest or we will go over again.
I suggest we limit our harvest by adding to our license a yearly amount.
What amount, should be decided by people that know what they are talking about.
If it is 2, 5 or 10 it needs to have an effect on the harvest, as that's the point.

Here is the options that I see as not the best for our sport.
1 and 1 - This would have an impact mostly on Canadians that travel far to have a chance to fish. This could keep people away from fishing for halibut and effect local communities. Not good for most Canadians.
Halibut stamp - How could we direct the money and are we just saying those that can afford a stamp get the chance.
Report all fish - How would that work? A website or phone site to report the fish you catch? How much would that cost? We need the numbers so we can close the season when we have reached our TAC. The suggestion that we report after the season with our data from our license won't work as we could over harvest with that plan.

I don't know how to "Poll" on this website...... I will see If I can read up on how to do this.
GLG

I have already added my points but i would like to add to this

Defintely agree that the 1 and 2 with the slot is the least painful option. Blows, hate it, but think its probably the lesser evil.

on your bottom 2 points, I am not sure there are too many people that can afford to fish halibut cant not afford to buy a halibut stamp.

Although I agree the reporting would have some cost, in this day in age of technology it should be fairly minimal. There are lots of ways to make this work, and i dont think we need the numbers in real time. We just need REAL numbers. Sure it wouldnt help to tell them exactly when we reach our tac in 2013, however, in 2014 we would actually have some REAL data to work with. And thats the missing component to this whole debacle(along side not having enough TAC). IF they want it in real time, have a web designer draw up a Halibut app for smart phones. Would it give perfect data? no, because not everyone will have smart phones, and not everyone will be totally aware of it. However, it would still be 100 times better then the current fly over and pray model coupled with the non existant creel surveys.

Lorne

You all need to give this some thought.
First there is NO MONEY for anything. The SFAB is a volunteer group and is not set up to deal with money in any form.
They have no insurance for there members as most rod and gun have for slander etc.
Second do you always tell your competition what you are thinking and doing?
Well, using this site is doing just that.
The commercial sector is taking the government to court on the halibut allocation. Did you see them go on the web and tell us what they were thinking and ask our opinions? No they did not.
The commercial sector treats this seriously and puts their money where their mouth is. Our group cannot raise money to ensure we are in court defending our section.
Guides and lodges should have this already covered and they do not. The BCWF is putting money in.
Halibut is just the beginning on quota and we cannot get it together any better than this?
Wait till we go to rock fish then salmon.
Time to step up.

Wen asked what I want,I would say many of the same things that have been mentioned. Keeping with the original intent of this thread I will comment on suggestions that would have an impact on the how we utilize our TAC.

1- I agree that to date the slot from last year is still the best option I have heard so far.

2- I agree that an annual limit may also be affective. Also to consider with this is , If all fish had to be recorded and then license turned in at the end of the year and a stamp added to this it could be useful long term.

3- I think Islandgirl's suggestion of going to 1/1 for the months of July Aug would in fact slow the rate of harvest considering those are the months that the most quota is used. Still lots of variables that need to be considered with this, but it would be easy to implement as a condition of license,would it not.

I have no new ideas at this point.

Something that could be looked at are limits by areas........

Yes it can be done and in fact is.
Area 14 is one ling/day and an annual llimit of 10 and a short season to boot. May 01-Sept 30
Area 23 is 3 a day 6 in possession and open year around for ling.

So the issue is to so keep more poundage in the water.

For example from 2011

Area 19 av. weight per fish was 28.81 lbs
Area 23/123 " " 8.5 lbs
Area 27/127 " " " 27.81lbs

( Note: I have picked out the 2 average highest weight and the lowest average weight.)

Clearly a fisherman taking 2 hali from area 23/123 has alot less impact on our TAC than those from other areas

Maybe looking at limits by areas to keep more poundage in the water is a possibilty??

I am all for some kind of electronic method of hali reporting weight.
Maybe with in 10 days of the catch.
I don't believe fly overs work.

Not trying ta stir the pot , i will bow out here , it truly isnt goin anywhere , i will do my best ta set up a public poll here , soon..

keep the ideas comin , great ta here from more of you too...

what areas exactly did this slot help lower our catch rate GLG ???, pls,
was it the 20/20 vision of the flyovers ,or the full time staff counting at every dock up and down the coast , or is it a scientific voodoo formula that is left in the vault for these times of need,,,
July and August fishers typically troll these fish up on the flats wcvi , most fall within low side of the slot ,
Id say 80 -90 % of the fish seen at the tables were of this size , no different than the past couple of seasons ...

did the season stay open longer because the small group of sportys ,that could at times , actually get there 2 any size possession taken away from them ???
, did this give us an extra month ??

did the slot size help reduce numbers down south island , where the majority of hali fisherman do day trips out of there back yard ,give us an extra month or so...

who did this really help fellas.. if it was from the lodges n resorts up north , great , im sure most guests up there were delighted with ANY hali lol..

the slot did chit for wcvi imo ,im sure South island didnt care to much of it , dont see many of them complaining ,,,
prove me wrong, if so anyone , show me numbers..., i know alot of silent guys here agree with me...

if the majority of guys here are against the slot , sfab or commitee, passes this , i give up ,
clearly , you are the " Process "

no slot , no 1/1...

last ...

so your telling me there are guys willing to donate there time passing motions and negotiating with us all ,many other things , im sure im forgetting alot ,we thank them ,,,
but no time ta help set up a trust or a website , help raise money to get more allocation from stamp funds ??? hard ta believe..

fd

Back