So Do You Think This Is Unlawful Guiding? Your Thoughts Please

Dogbreath

Never any shortage of opinion here so if you have time could you Please turn your attention to this scenario.

Meet your personal host, chef and guide, Vancouver native, Chef Robin. You'll be taken out canoeing to catch Dungeness Crab. After the fishing day is done, you will be whisked back to the supper club to learn how to prepare & cook mouthwatering BC crab.......In the morning, we'll prepare the traps and go out for a leisurely paddle to see what we can catch. The first course of lunch will be served on the water. At around noon, we'll head back to prepare our catch.

This is offered by Swallowtail Tours here in Vancouver

Is this someone offering sport caught fish For Sale?

Or is it someone offering guiding with no licence of any kind?

Or is there some legal nuance/loophole I'm not seeing?

Nice, not to worry I'm sure she has her SVOP, MED A-3, Roc-M, Marine First Aid tickets stored safely under the canoe seat. Her re-boarding ladder is tucked neatly on the floor, and the client sits on the life ring.

As prior respondents have implied, there are two aspects here.

1) Safety/security equipment and certifications required, no different than if they were taking a party out on the water for photography.
2) The guiding aspect of catching sport caught fish (crab) with/for clients.

If this is a restaurant business branching out I suspect they are in uncharted waters and have missed out on several regulations that might apply due to ignorance and lack of research.

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as the guests have salt water licence's, i can't see a problem.
they are allowed 4 crabs each.
the host is simply providing a guiding/catering service for her customers.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. If she is offering this service she should be subject to the same over-regulation everyone else is subject to.

H.E.H.

If you are genuinely concerned call TC in Vancouver @

Marine Safety
Transport Canada
700 - 800 Burrard Street
Vancouver, B.C. V6Z 2J8

Telephone Number: (604) 666-5300

Transport Canada Marine has told us that they will investigate all operations that are reported to them.

beemer

i was very firmly informed that any benefit financially was considered commercial use. i am sure there is some sort of financial gain on this crab skippers part. all tc regs should be applied.

The grey area exists because the people are in their own canoes.. It's no different then if they rent a boat at Pedder Bay, and follow someone out. I don't think the rules apply in that case. The kayak tour outfits don't need all the MED crap. This is no different. And so long as the restuarant cooks the catch for the guests, that's fine too, there are plenty of places along WCVI that do that, two of then in Renfrew, Both of them have come under scrutiny by DFO (CO Walking in and confirming what was going on), and it was A-OK.

However, as soon as the guide sits in the canoe, all of the usual BS applies, but if it is other people following, jump in and go, and throw your Canadian Tire flares in the front. They don't even need a PCOC because it is not fitted with any motor, per the TC website.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-paperwork-paperwork_operator-360.htm

Hats off to someone using their heritage to earn a living and offer a unique, low cost tourist experience in BC. Ocean adventures do not need to come at 20 gallons per hour!

As long as the guests have salt water licence's, i can't see a problem.
they are allowed 4 crabs each. the host is simply providing a guiding/catering service for her customers

Agreed but is it lawful guiding?

If people set their own traps then the Guide/Chef/Entrepreneur isn't selling sport caught fish either-if that's what's happening.

EDIT-I see Hastings House on Saltspring isn't doing Crabbing anymore at all-they used to have a real carefully organised excursion on offer.

Looks like a fun little excursion for $150! You sure can't get on the water any cheaper than that.

I hope that he has all his stuff in order.

i sent an email asking about credentials and legalities and what not, we shall see what the response is.....holmes*

Good to get the facts, and I suspect she isn't operating legally...as suggested the only way to do this is if the client uses their own canoe. Otherwise it is a commercial charter from what I see.

Back