Snubber's

scott craven

Just got a pair of rubber downrigger snubber's and will replace the plastic ball clip with them.
curious to see how many use them and if you
feel they help ?

I've used them for a couple of years and I like them. They result in a cleaner break if you do get snagged. They are easier on your terminal tackle when bouncing bottom and lastly they make handling the cannon ball easier IMHO.

Long live wild salmon!!!

I use them all the time. The shock absorbtion is great when a buddy lets go of the clutch and the balls stops instantly. No shock in the system.

I like them. Definitely cuision impact on your gear. Never had one break, although they are supposed to break before your mainline. Easier on the hands to grab - I guess it depends on what you do with your DRs when you have a fish on, but I grab the snubber and swivel the DR in - I find it much nicer to grab the snubber than to grab cable or braid. I also clip my bottom clips on the top of the snubber so don't have to worry about clips sliding. The main things for me are easy on the hands and cuisioning impact though.

quote:Originally posted by Nerka

Two thumbs up from me on the snubbers too.

Nerka

Ditto as well.

They seem to last longer than those plastic clips and make handling the ball easier.

Cheers

SS

Fishing08018-1.jpg

I've been using snubbers for many years now.

I like them for all the stated reasons already described: shock absorber, easier to handle, etc.

They also isolate the lead ball from the stainless DR line for those of you who are into black box electronics theory.

The only downside to having them is that it's another $10 on each side when you hit the reef and rip everything off. :(

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

A good addition to the gear, for all the reasons noted above.

That said, I've been wondering what the life expectancy of them is.
I've had a set on for only three years, no sign of wear and tear or other deterioration. Do they last forever?

Snubbers help save your cannon ball when some green horn, or a person new to down riggers tries to help you and lets the ball drop like a ton of bricks and applys the brake as fast as he can. Some time the snubber saves you a bit of money, But , not all the time. Been there done that, lol,.........BB

I've got two different types on either side of the boat. One type has a large swivel same as you'd use on a hali rod, the other has a large clip similar to the clip you use for attaching a release to your downrigger line. I like the large clip type better as it's much easier to get the ball on/off. Had one hang up on the bottom a few weeks ago. Came loose but the snubber is about 6" longer now than when it started the day.

TenMile
<'((((><

Snubbers all the way. They are the best Been using them for 3 years and never any problems. To many positives to name and don't really have any negatives. Great investment.

cby

If I recall, in the past I had a least two cannon balls jump OUT of those $##&$ plactic clips................that why I now use the snubber and the stainless "what you call it" attachment

they do take the shock out of the system and are easy to grab,but if you hang bottom good and get your gear back but you stretch it out like tenmile said i find it breaks the next i snag bottom, so if you stretch it out 6 or 10 inches you might as well chuck it.

Rum Chum

I dont use any of that expensive hardware, just 6' of doubled up ganion chord (or similar) with knots attatching it to the ball and to the braided line. The top knot always trips the shutoff switch. 6' gives me enough to extend the boom if needed.

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Back