Snapped Transducer

drad2k4

I snapped my transducer off. See red line
transducer.jpg

I was thinking about using JB weld. Anyone else have any better suggestions?

Generally its better to get a new one depending on if its completely severed. I have never fixed on myself, so someone else might have a better idea.

I have fixed mine 3 years ago when the cable snapped flush with the epoxi housing. I scraped enough off the housing to be able to solder the cable back on and casted a thick clump of epoxi around the cable entry. Looks not very sleek but it is still working fine. Saved me at least $200.

Chris, you must be good at soldering! I just soldered my transducer wire with lots of room to spare, but still found it difficult keeping the 5 wires apart. Testing it out tomorrow, hopefully it works.

If I snapped it that close to the tranducer, I think I'd throw in the towel and replace it. For my unit, cost is about $75. Search the model number on google, there's quite a few GPS discount places out there. And if they only ship to USA, there's a place in Pt Roberts that accepts packages for $3 fee -- http://www.tsbshipping.com/
But hopefully you won't need that.
Good luck!

For the time being just put it in the bilge or epoxy it in place if you can it will go through your hull just fine. most of the lodge boats we just put them in the bilge and they sit there I have a weight on top of mine as it wont move, been like that for 4 years now LOL.
quick fix until you need or want to replace it.

Good luck Wolf

Fortunately the wire wasn't severed so that is a not a problem. I have epoxied it and it looks good. If that doesn't work I will try through the hull. Thanks for the tips boys.

Hey drad: This has been an ongoing problem with Lowrance skimmer transducers. They are fully aware of the design problem and will replace them at no charge. Just return your transducer with proof of purchase. I've had to replace three myself, with no probs. I've taken to using Sikoflex at the transducer as well as the connection at the unit. If someone nows how to bring these things back to life after they pop please let me know.:( eman

Really eman I havea x-110 that transducer with the temp and 50/200 lasted all of a year and was told by a store in vic SOL. can you send me the address and ill send it away as I had to buy a new one be nice to have a spare!!!!!!

Thanks Wolf

Hey Wolf: As I mentioned, I just returned it to the place of purchase and they got in touch with the Lowrance rep. All they required from me was proof of purchase. I guess it would help if your agent was willing to take the initial step to contact Lowrance. Good Luck;) eman

Back