Smoker question

Merrittboy

Smoked some salmon using my True North electric smoker this week and was surprised at how long it took to finish. Took a good 14 to 16 hours to finish to my liking and the average thickness was less than a half inch. Is this normal? The element seems to be working fine but am thinking that maybe the pan is too thick. I was given the smoker so am not sure if the pan is the original. Most of the fish is certainly not over smoked. Am I doing something wrong? Outside temperature was not that bad. Any ideas?

8 ft. Never thought of that. I will try another one and play with plug etc. The element looks pretty hot though so this is why I am thinking the pan might be too thick. I have no idea, lol.

Do you use the box it came it to insolate your smoker? You will be amazed by the amount of heat that is kept in using your cardboard box. If you tossed it out already mine I fit a Med. box from U-Haul. Or you could build a shelter.

Hey, but at least you know you have a good cold smoker.

How much fish did you have in the smoker? If you pack it in there it does take longer. Trying to smoke to much fish at one time can be painfull.

Get a Bradly[:eek:)]

I put three trays of fish in each, filled to the max but not big thick slices. I will try the box as insulation, good idea. Thanks.

If it's breezy/cold it takes longer. Wayyyy longer if more breezy and cold. Like the others say, you need to shelter it with the box it came in, a tarp or something.

In a pinch, if it's taking too long, you can finish drying the fish in your BBQ on indirect heat. The smoking part happens in the first couple of hours, you just want to dry it after that. I like to finish it in the smoker if I can but I have finished it off in the BBQ on occasion.

Back