Smokehouse Flooded!!

Dogbreath

Just got back from a popular Vancouver-area smokehouse brought in some White Springs and was told there's a ten (10) week wait!!!

I guess the Sockeye bonanza knows no boundaries-I phoned another one yesterday and was told they weren't doing intake until tomorrow-no room in the freezer.

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

Just got back from a popular Vancouver-area smokehouse brought in some White Springs and was told there's a ten (10) week wait!!!

I guess the Sockeye bonanza knows no boundaries-I phoned another one yesterday and was told they weren't doing intake until tomorrow-no room in the freezer.

I dropped some fish off to Granville Island and they said it would be ready this week?

Have you hugged a Gorby today??? ;P

All of the smokehouses should be jammed right now.Sometimes they just go on a rotation, one in the door, one out. You never know whos fish you are getting, but as long as most of the sockeye are relatively the same size, it probably does't matter. I have taken red springs into St. Jeans and got some white back.

Yoshi's - said six weeks when I was in there two weeks ago. There was a line up at the door !!

quote:Originally posted by Pippen

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

I dropped some fish off to Granville Island and they said it would be ready this week?

Have you hugged a Gorby today??? ;P

Hi Pippen,
WOW!!! I would really question that it is your fish you are getting back ........ I understand food safe requires at least 48 hours frozen (takes care of parasites) before they thaw the fish and brine it and and smoke....... I find it hard to beleive a turn around of a week, especially now at this time of year with all the sockeye. Best I have had any place anytime , was 3 weeks. Very interesting.

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Why don't you boys smoke them yourselves ?...cost's a lot less and the product is just as good
Living in the city means neighbours object to smells-not the wonderful aroma of smoking Salmon but the fumes you can't see that burn your eyes-and where I live there'd be dozens of people who's eyes would be burning even with their windows closed.

So I bought a Stovetop Smoker for smaller fillets and leave smoking the bigger units to someone with the right setup.

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Why don't you boys smoke them yourselves ?
cost's a lot less and the product is just as good ;)

I do hot smoked myself in a True North smoker but leave the cold smoked/lox to Yoshi's. I also send out for Indian Candy too. When I get a Bradley smoker I'll do my own cold smoked.

Its a bit tough in a Condo even being on the top floor but so far nobody has called the fire dept due to smoke ;). I guess knowbody knows where that wonderful smelling smoke is coming from ( tip: the fan dissipates the smoke well !!! ) ...lol. If anyone complained , I'd hope my offerings of hot smoked sockeye would muzzle them for a while ;)

Back