small stream steelies...

E

Eagle Eyes

something I've really enjoyed this year is getting off the beaten track and hitting some smaller more remote systems that see little fishing pressure. Personally I find fihsing these streams much more enjoyable, and often more productive. I'm not asking for anyones spots as that is completely inappropriate in this aspect of steelheading. what I am curious about; what do you change in your approach (if anything) when fishing small system steelies, wether they be summer or winter run? One of my techniques has been to fish during high water, compared to waiting for a dropping river (as I would do in bigger water) as that seems to be when these fish are most bitey.

thought this would be an interesting topic for discusion...

i fish creeks during high waters when i find them most productive...some of the smaller creeks that i fish i think the steelies actualy go back n forth from the creek to the ocean during low water periods...i also try to keep my rigging small acouple peices of small split shot and use a long 6-8 lb leader with a #2 hook and some white wool and a single jenny egg. and i also make a point of not going into the water unless i absolutley have to. I think it spokes the fish...well im out, have studyin to do..hittin up the stamp tomororow pm...cheers...
.....steelheadman

it is sure nice to hit the little creeks in the search for steelhead... i'm from the very north end of the island and have fished some un-heard of streams and rivers and landed some beautiful chrome steelhead..you have to learn and enjoy these spots and always catch and release !!!!!!!!

quote:Originally posted by Eagle Eyes

something I've really enjoyed this year is getting off the beaten track and hitting some smaller more remote systems that see little fishing pressure. Personally I find fihsing these streams much more enjoyable, and often more productive. I'm not asking for anyones spots as that is completely inappropriate in this aspect of steelheading. what I am curious about; what do you change in your approach (if anything) when fishing small system steelies, wether they be summer or winter run? One of my techniques has been to fish during high water, compared to waiting for a dropping river (as I would do in bigger water) as that seems to be when these fish are most bitey.

thought this would be an interesting topic for discusion...

could just be me but it is sporfishingBC.com.... although i guess someone may have fished there

Back