Small Cutplugs.....

Seafever

On just about every fishing show where they run cutplugs....the bait size is medium to big.

But there are places around the island where much smaller bait prevails a lot.

I don't see people making cut plugs out of the smaller sizes of bait....

Yes I know they'll just put the smaller ones in a teaser head......

But so could they use teaser heads up where they fish the bigger cutplugs too if they wanted...

Anybody tried making a cutplug out of the smaller sizes of bait?

Did it work or was it impractical?

Making cut plugs out of Anchovies was all the rage locally a while back-it works but is a total PITA forty ways to Sunday.

When i guided in the gulf islands in the late 70's/early 80"s a cut plugged 7in herring was my go to winner. It outfished the larger bait that was present for some reason. Now the Ling Cod that was a different story ;)

Look into some of the articles/youtube stuff from south of the border as I'm pretty sure they commonly use smaller plug cut herring.

early in the season (May/June) or late in the season (Oct/Nov/Dec) Red Label can be killer (next size up from orange, down from green)--maybe a 5" long herring??

It's the preferred size for the commie trollers in Alaska which sez lots

July through Sept? my Kingdom for a dozen trays of vac-pac Blue Label!

Cut plug with a flasher is a desperation move. And it's scary how many times that move pays off. Just make sure you know how to make a killer brine solution or use a plastic helmet

I've never tried cut plugging. Can you run a cut plug effectively off the downrigger at normal trolling speeds, or do you really need to do a slow mooch with a sink weight like in the charlottes?

My biggest guided chinook was on a Cuttie 39 ft on the downrigger-62 lb
It works!! I like it better than running a 6/8 oz slip weight. Once it's off the rigger all that's there are two hooks and a chain swivel.

Back