small boat where to?

tubber

Planning a trip to the Island Aug 22-26. Need to pick a destination. I know the Malcolm Island area fairly well and have fished Sooke and Bamfield. Was thinking about Nootka but would prefer to avoid going offshore. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Where would the Wolf go? He seems to know most of these areas well.

Look to Port Hardy-fairly calm and if you have a GPS the fog won't bother you at all.
Not much anyway.....

Thanks Dogbreath. I've been meaning to get there too. I have GPS. Is there a campground/marina like Sunny Shores or Alder Bay in Port Hardy or do I have to camp and leave my boat at the government dock (or launch every morning)

I have fished both of these areas and there both good for fishing at that time of year its up to you but i can tell you sooke is really starting to heat up, with malcom your almost garenteed to fish every day sometimes not at sooke (wind)but the way the forcast looks it seems theres no weather fronts coming our way for at least 2 weeks, comes down to where YOU want to go!!!!!!

Good luck in your descision if you do come to sooke get a hold of me at sunny shores and we can sit down with a bevie and chat.

Good luck Wolf

Thanks Wolf. I may take you up on that. It's tought to beat the scenery and wildlfe farther north though. I saw a wolf(not you) kill a seal on the beach near Donegal Head last year and the leaping humpbacks this July off Malcolm were worth the price of admission.

The fishing at the backside of Malcolm has been very hit and miss. It seems that the springs are just passing through and not hanging around at all. There is lots of bait to keep them there, but they're not staying. One morning you'll hook 6 between 20 and 30, and the next you'll have a tough time finding one. Such is fishing.

Lots of Sockeye around though, and Double Bay has been producing it's fair share of fish this year, along with the usual spots like The Slide, Black Bluff, Bere Point, Flower Island and the Wall.

Give ne a call on 69 if you're up there (FishWish) and we can swap some info.

FishWish

Well, decision time has come and I still can't make one. I'm leaving Kelowna at midnight to catch the first ferry. Sooke sounds awesome but the wind looks a bit sketchy for my 11 foot Whaler. Malcolm area is my next choice. I see 15-20 winds and a 5 foot swell at Sheringham for the next few days. Is that enough to make the bigger boat passengers ornery too? Any quick thoughts would be much appreciated.

Back