Small boat radar reflector

Cheap metal folding one with a tube of tinfoil balls duct taped as well. Mounted on an 8 foot aluminum javelin from the back of a school track shed. I launched a more expensive Mobri out of the rod holder on a swell, so this one has twine to keep it in the boat.
I don't really know how my radar signature looks to others, but no close calls yet. I'm pretty cautious and tend to not go till fog lifts, but have been offshore when fog rolls in. Mine needs to be adjusted to a "catch rain" position.

Attachments

• IMG_20220723_084140085_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220723_084140085_HDR.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 66
In view of the fact that your boat is a Lund and made entirely of radar reflecting aluminum, why would you need to add an aftermarket reflector???

I want to mount a radar reflector on my 14ft Lund. Any suggestions as to what to buy? Thanks.
Good job taking safety seriously Rob! Do you have a buddy with a boat that has radar? If not you could reach out to the amazing members here and give them a day when you are going fishing next: hopefully somebody will be going out at the same time and can let you know if you have a signal on their radar.

My son works on the pilot boat and tells me that our small aluminum boat does not have much of a radar signature, and that was from about half a mile away.

Mobri tube radar seem like a complete waste of time from what I read. I have one on boat hook that I put in my rod rack but I am going to switch to Davis style.

Here is the tests on reflectors. Even more interesting is it was saying they are really only effective offshore in glassy conditions.

Here is the tests that were done if anyone is interested. The tube style reflectors are last on list.

[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• Radar-Reflector-Tests-1995.pdf
    334.2 KB · Views: 29
My son works on the pilot boat and tells me that our small aluminum boat does not have much of a radar signature, and that was from about half a mile away.
ive never had a problem seeing you guys one bit and I have a old JRC 1500 dinosaur, im sure the new ones are even more sensitive then my old one, now a kayak and small fiberglass is different....

ive never had a problem seeing you guys one bit and I have a old JRC 1500 dinosaur, im sure the new ones are even more sensitive then my old one, now a kayak and small fiberglass is different....

While running in heavy fog I picked up 2 kayaks on radar no problem last yr off Cracroft Pt ,
fn doh heads

While running in heavy fog I picked up 2 kayaks on radar no problem last yr off Cracroft Pt
Just goes to show every Rader is different hey , also comes down to IF the BOAT that has radar has it on or better yet knows how to run it, alot dont as there is a lot of lil setting on them and if you dont have them set up its kinda a mute point,
I serviced mine this spring as I havent used it in a bit went out to use it and I was scratching my head as to why it really wasnt working until I noticed my "sea" setting was cranked right up . as soon as I re tuned everything I was back to seeing land and stuff . Ive always told people run your radar in all conditions rog ,rain and especially when its nice and sunny out so you can see on the unit and the boats to give you reference. after a while it will become second nature just like your gps..Best advice I can give to guys with Radar say for otter PLEASE go out on to outside then troll in too many ive seen boats weave in and out of boats just to set up at 2nd rock you have time be safer...
Good luck wolf

Back