Slack in throttle control

MikePA

Could anyone give me an idea on how to adjust the setting on a Yamaha 703 throttle control unit? When I put the boat in gear and move the throttle forward if I want to back off the throttle, there's about half an inch of play before it will decrease the RPMs (slack is all in the control unit, nothing moving at the engine end of the cable), if I take up the slack and release the throttle a bit, there will be the same slack to go in the opposite direction to increase the RPMs. Thanks for any insight.

Pop the cowl. The end of the cable that hooks onto your linkage can be threaded out or in to give proper adjustment

There are the same fittings on each end, however I would try the engine side first. Way easier

Pop the cowl. The end of the cable that hooks onto your linkage can be threaded out or in to give proper adjustment

There are the same fittings on each end, however I would try the engine side first. Way easier
I'll give it a shot thanks

So to make there be less play before engagement, do I pull that little pin, loosen the nut, then spin the black piece?1000009764.jpg

I would see where your at first. That linkage does have natural play. The handle on the box will work better when it gets a head start just a bit. If that makes sense. Put it where you think the linkage should be and try and adjust the cable end. You have about a quarter inch there. Honestly you don't need the nut on a kicker. So that's alot right there.

Back