Shut off valve from tank to filter?

bigdogg1

Hello,

Is there any reason to have a shut off valve in the fuel line that runs from the built in gas tank to the fuel filter? I would like to remove it completely to (it might be the source of a gas odor). I have installed a shut off that leads back to the main power so I can isolate the small motor when trolling.

So, is there a reason for the valve to exist between the tank and the filter?

Thanks

Yes I think so. I have one in my boat in the exact spot you speak of. If you needed to change your fuel filter for some reason while at sea or in rough weather or you have a full tank of gas (or nearly full) you can turn the valve off and unscrew the filter and you're not going to have fuel pouring out of your gas tank. What would happen if the fuel filter started to leak or crack for some weird reason? The other shut off valve you have is further downstream of the fuel filter.
It's just a good way to isolate the fuel flow coming out of the fuel tank.
Your fuel smell isn't likely coming from that shut off.

my shutoff is mounted on the main (primary) fuel filter housing at the outlet. It came in handy once when the kill switch operating the shutdown solenoid on the engine didn't work. Had to starve the engine to shut it down....

my shutoff is mounted on the main (primary) fuel filter housing at the outlet. It came in handy once when the kill switch operating the shutdown solenoid on the engine didn't work. Had to starve the engine to shut it down....
thatsa good one, had to do this before by folding over a fuel line.

If you have a pull start on your kicker and you keep your boat moored it might be a handy anti theft device if the compartment it is housed in is lockable. My kicker is electric start only, so I went a different route. I added a lockable Perko battery switch to prevent anyone from starting my kicker while moored.

you should have an anti syphon valve at the outlet of the tank so a cut hose wont empty the tank. it needs suction from the pump to allow fuel to fill
if its an insurance claim, just let a tech replace the whole transducer. why ask for problems later on?

Back