Shudder front end 'DEATH WOBBLE"

True. All have there good points. Cummins motor far superior to either of the other American manufacturers. Lot of nice diesel Chevy in my neck of the woods but a lot are dead. Fords too. 90% of the logging company's here run dodges. I've owned all three and for sheer pulling power I'd put my dodge against any of the other brands.

I agree that all brands have there faults and my general impression is once the warrantee is gone they are all equally pricy to keep going over the years. I got my 06 dodge cummins in o9 for 25k and I now have close to 20k into it. Ouch!
I ask myself if I would have got a newer truck then for 45k where would I be now. I bet I would be around 55k, how can you know?

Wouldn't trade my 03 gmc for anything currently available. Very solid truck solid front end only matters if your lifting it or towing heavy in 4x4. For the majority of people who dd on paved roads good tires and ifs for a nice ride! Haven't done any front end work in 5 years, keep expecting something but the mechanic tells me otherwise.

To the OP my SA Toyota suffered from this often. New leaf spring bushings an alignment and tire balancing always solved the issue. Good shocks will also make a huge difference especially on a heavy truck. Good luck.

Would not trade my 92 toy for anything, paid 8k in 99, put another 10k in SAS lift, lockers, gears, tires, motor, armor, for the last 15 years gone every where I wanted, towed, climbed, hunted Atlin area every year. Been awesome. Best vehicle I could ever ask for, and OK mileage, lets not forget the 400+k in miles on odometer.

HM

Funny you mention this. Our 2013 3500 did it 5 times other day coming back from hunting down the Fraser canyon pulling a quad trailer. It's currently in getting fixed now. Couldn't imagine if it happened pulling boats. Sketchy

I think you can get the same effect from having warped rotors can you not? usually shows up when you've been pretty hard on the brakes and they heat up...

I think you can get the same effect from having warped rotors can you not? usually shows up when you've been pretty hard on the brakes and they heat up...
My experience with warped rotors, there is a pulsating feeling when you apply the brake pedal.

This is different, it can happen when you traveling at highway speed and you hit an expansion joint on a bridge or a small bump or whole in the road and all of a sudden the front end of the truck start wobbling like crazy and it will only stop when you slow down - it can be a bit nerve wracking.

I found some good information on this problem on the internet and will start by doing a close inspection of the front end. If I find out what caused the problem I will post it to this thread.

SerengetiGuide,
It would be good if you can post what the problem was with your truck.

My experience with warped rotors, there is a pulsating feeling when you apply the brake pedal.

This is different, it can happen when you traveling at highway speed and you hit an expansion joint on a bridge or a small bump or whole in the road and all of a sudden the front end of the truck start wobbling like crazy and it will only stop when you slow down - it can be a bit nerve wracking.

I found some good information on this problem on the internet and will start by doing a close inspection of the front end. If I find out what caused the problem I will post it to this thread.

SerengetiGuide,
It would be good if you can post what the problem was with your truck.

The pulsating feeling can also be the antilock brake system working and that's normal. The reason I mentioned the warped rotors is that my previous truck, a 2005 f150 that I towed a 24 foot boat with had developed warped rotors and it had the basic shimmy wobble when coming down a long hill, usually the coquihalla, and hitting the brakes from time to time. it was pretty scary also. I went with better aftermarket rotors, new pads and the problem went away. it wasn't front end related in the sense of king pins or ball joints but it sure felt like it... but it did only happen when using the brakes hard. it wouldn't be set off from hitting a bump or expansion joint, etc...

I agree that all brands have there faults and my general impression is once the warrantee is gone they are all equally pricy to keep going over the years. I got my 06 dodge cummins in o9 for 25k and I now have close to 20k into it. Ouch!
I ask myself if I would have got a newer truck then for 45k where would I be now. I bet I would be around 55k, how can you know?

This if very true. I'm a believer that the auto industry has it figured out how to make a vehicle last "just long enough". We still have cars and trucks from the fifties driving around. Not sure we will see today's cars still on the road in about 70 years

I have a 97 dodge Cummins , track bar would last a year or two. Upgraded aftermarket track bar kit and steering stabilizer over ten years ago, and no issues since . You can also adjust the steering box to take out some steering slop. I replaced the ball joints, bearing, u joint, brakes, rotors and leaky axel seal this summer. I bought the parts from partsavatar.ca out of surrey.

410,000 km and still going strong.

My experience with my 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins is the same as Profishers,never had any front end problems and only changed oil for maintenance.I know lots of people have front end problems with Dodge trucks,but I'm wondering if it happens more with certain years or models?Were the diesel or 4x4 models given a heavier front suspension?

Took the time to crawl under the front end and inspected all of the components, with the engine running and the steering wheel being turned left to right, the only thing that I discovered was that the bushing in track bar at the frame mount is definitely shot. I took a video off it and there is almost a 1/4" of play. I will start with the obvious issue and replace the bushings in the track bar and go from there. Other than this issue the truck steers well, it does not wander and there is no uneven tire wear.

Took the time to crawl under the front end and inspected all of the components, with the engine running and the steering wheel being turned left to right, the only thing that I discovered was that the bushing in track bar at the frame mount is definitely shot. I took a video off it and there is almost a 1/4" of play. I will start with the obvious issue and replace the bushings in the track bar and go from there. Other than this issue the truck steers well, it does not wander and there is no uneven tire wear.

yup track bar..... blows up when you hit a bump. buy poly bushing from lordco. easy diy. o.... inspect the bolt make sure its not worn from the slop

yup track bar..... blows up when you hit a bump. buy poly bushing from lordco. easy diy. o.... inspect the bolt make sure its not worn from the slop

Yup I am getting the poly bushings and will make sure the bolts and mounting holes are in good shape.

DODGE
Dont
Overdrive
Drive
Garbage
Equipment

Yes I own a ford and must admit the 6.2 engine is quite impressive. But will say ALL of the brands are great and ALL have flaws, id own a chev but not a dodge LOL
I have 271,000 kms on my 04 Hemi , truck has been awesome.. The front end problems with the earlier model dodge 3/4 n one ton trucks have been addressed , i had my airbag recalled and replaced other then that my 04 /1500 has been rock solid..

Had it on my 2010 3500 ram. It's the steering dispatch stabilizer. The original peice that was installed was approx. a 5/8" rod to a shock the replacement they gave me was approximately 1 1/2" shock system. No problem since. This was done free of charge by dodge. Ask and demand they upgrade your system.

Why is it that every Dodge or Jeep product has to be "upgraded" from factory after a few years? Why don't they do it at the factory???

I have never owned a Dodge or Jeep product because of the continual faulty factory parts problem they have. I almost bought a Jeep Liberty with the Italian common rail diesel in it for the wife quite a few years ago. Did the research and "all" Jeep Liberty's had a rap sheet about 10 pages long for recall's!!!

(Bought her a Toyota Rav 4 and have had it for 6 years now and only been in for regular servicing and new tires etc. Not a single problem with the vehicle).

Pre 94' Mighty Dodge all the way. The only good truck they ever made.

BACK ON THE ROAD AGAIN.
Rather than paying the dealership over $500 for the installation of a new track bar, I replaced the bushings with "Luke's Link Track Bar Bushings" and the wobble is cured. Cost me $50 US.

BACK ON THE ROAD AGAIN.
Rather than paying the dealership over $500 for the installation of a new track bar, I replaced the bushings with "Luke's Link Track Bar Bushings" and the wobble is cured. Cost me $50 US.

Easy pezy

Back