Shovel Nose Louie

Mike R. is in Campbell River. The local plug gurus are Morris T. and Mike G. AWESOME collections!

The shovel is desired by tyee rowers as it has a broader face, so it wiggles more (better action) at slower speeds. When you are rowing a couple of 250lbers, battling passing boat wakes and a westerly wind, it's tough to maintain much speed in a rowboat. Lyman's, tubby tomics all work.

The plastic is better if you are rowing a bunch of tides, as the wooden plugs (especially the older ones with the older finishes) will absorb water and get heavier, so less wiggle.

There are a few guys in CR making their own plugs, both plastic and wood. This is really great, akin to tying your own flys!

Just home after an illuminating chat with Troy and Ted, both long time Tyee guys and as I'd taken my motley collection of plugs with me when I went down to the club I now know what I actually have.

Two plastic LL shovel-nose plugs Pearl Pink @ 5" long.
One non-shovel stubby LL Pearl Pink, plastic.
One non-shovel LL 5" Herring Pattern, plastic.
One non-shovel LL 5 1/2" Pearl Pink.

I have some other old ones including a couple of unidentifiable wooden ones from goodness knows where, but those five are the ones I use most often.

Ted also showed me exactly how to tell shovels from non-shovels so I'm not quite as ignorant as I was before.

And nice little boat there for sure Mako, a big well done indeed to whoever built it.

Mine is all wooden too but has no sailing capability.

I'll keep an eye out for your nephew in the future and wish you all the best in the meantime.

Thanks for starting this thread too. I've really learned a few things here.

Finally, still no sign of any wooden LL shovel-noses so far. Both Troy and Ted agree they weren't made until plastic became the material of choice........and convenience.

Lovely looking re-paints pictured here also. If I ever need one done I sure know where to go.

Take care.

Same here, I have learned a lot about our favorite plugs. I have a ton of Tomics but I will rig a few of the plastic Louies and pull them behind down riggers in the Straits near Port Angeles. I found the perfect size bead chain swivels for the plugs and will rig per Dave's photo. Rated at 75 pounds: Got them at Swain's, our best tackle shop and general store.

A big thanks to Dave for running down the info with the Campbell River Legends! Cannot wait to get up there and talk to some of you gents.

I have only been rowing in the tyee pool under club rules for four years, but I have learned a great deal and have acquired a lot of gear. I have 11 of the original plastic lucky Louie shovelnose plugs. Side by side with the standard Louie, they are quite distinguishable. The shovel most often referenced, is the 5 1/4 shovel although it is reported that a 6 inch plastic shovelnose was also made. A collector friend of mine says he has one but I think he plans on having it buried with him.

Minser did also make a wood plug with a shovel like face. I think this was called the Chinook, but it is not typically what is meant, when the club members refer to a shovelnose. The wood plugs do have an advantage though, in that there are carvers out there replicating them right down to the thickness of the paint and you can get them in standard or glow colors, including Tomic colors, such as 602 and pearl pink. I have 12 of these.

Replicating plastic plugs is a different matter. The weight and balance of the original Louie shovelnose plug is hard to match. I am trying a couple of approaches to replicating the plastic shovel hopefully for the start of the 2019 season. If you cannot find an original shovelnose Louie in good shape, do not hesitate to buy a few that are not in great shape and see if you can find someone to professionally re-seal and paint them. When Tomic is not too busy, they have been known to do so, as will some of the hand carvers. You will be impressed with the quality of the workmanship applied to resurrecting the classic plastic shovelnose. I have four of these.

Prices for the vintage 5 1/4 Louie shovelnose vary. The least I have paid is $40.00 for one in reasonable shape but which had been repainted by the owner. When I find a few more like this, I will probably have them stripped and professionally repainted. The most I have paid is $150.00 cdn for a perfect condition shovelnose, but recently I have noticed them going for a bit more on Ebay. Just recently I saw a shovelnose red gill sell for $177.oo usd.

Be highly suspicious of plugs advertised as the Louie shovelnose. Many sellers do not know the difference or are advertising their plug based on pictures they have seen or just out of wishful thinking. I have returned many false shovelnose plugs.

Beyond the Louie shovelnose, there have been other options. After Minser stopped producing the plastic shovelnose, Rex Field in Comox, produced their own version. It is rumored that some of the guides actually preferred these over the Louie shovelnose. I found two of these this winter that have never been fished.

There are other vintage wood options. Lyman in the interior, made a shovel version of their own wood plugs that were popular in the pool. These are getting harder to find as well. One of the complaints in the club about these plugs, is that the paint would crack and there was inconsistency in the shovel face. I have four of these plugs. Remember though, wood plugs are relatively easy for the hand carvers to replicate or repaint and they are easy to experiment with including by varying the degree of shovel.

I will leave spoons for another day.

Bruce P.

During the past two years I've hooked 10 Chinook in the Tyee Pool, six on an older plastic Lucky shovel-nose and four on a Rex Field shovel-nose.

They both work well.

I have numerous other plugs and spoons but it's hard to stop towing plugs that get strikes.

Think I'll pay a bit more attention to my lines this year, as well as making darn sure all hooks are sharp as can be, though.

Embarrassing year last year for sure.

Take care.

This thread is a great and informative read.

I have a few old Lucky Louie’s that will get put to use this year. And a also a few small LL that we’re horribly repainted so I stripped them down and gave them my own custom touch.

I’ll post some pics later.

what product did you use to strip them down , just a good paint stripper ??

Although I’m a big fan of strippers ;) I would stay clear of chemical strippers as they could harm the plastic underneath. Probably ok on wooden plugs but unnecessary, Scotchbrite pads and/or sandpaper would be enough to clean them up and give the new paint something to adhere to.

Some plugs from friends/ their father, and the second hand store in N.Van. only ever have found the 2 decent wooden plugs. One says Lucky Louie but the other has no markings.IMG_20190512_105407123.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_20190512_115253279.jpg A bunch of stubby Pink Pearls from Woodward's close out in West Van. 1980's?,Showed up at the 2nd hand store and were gobbled up. I got 2. The yellow one is longer, thinner. All the pink pearls seemed to have been used once and cut off! The odd scratch.

Attachments

• IMG_20190512_115236452.jpg
    IMG_20190512_115236452.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 28
View attachment 45375 A bunch of stubby Pink Pearls from Woodward's close out in West Van. 1980's?,Showed up at the 2nd hand store and were gobbled up. I got 2. The yellow one is longer, thinner. All the pink pearls seemed to have been used once and cut off! The odd scratch.
For the photo of the two plugs, would you mind posting some photos of the writing on these plugs and measure the exact length. One photo from the side so I can see the profile would be helpful as well.

During the past two years I've hooked 10 Chinook in the Tyee Pool, six on an older plastic Lucky shovel-nose and four on a Rex Field shovel-nose.

They both work well.

I have numerous other plugs and spoons but it's hard to stop towing plugs that get strikes.

Think I'll pay a bit more attention to my lines this year, as well as making darn sure all hooks are sharp as can be, though.

Embarrassing year last year for sure.

Take care.
The world definitely changes when you figure some of this out. Have you ever fished the old Olsen wood plugs in the pool? Trying to figure out how to rig them with the bar puled or do you have to leave the bar in and use the Tomic tie off trick to change the plug's attitude.

The world definitely changes when you figure some of this out. Have you ever fished the old Olsen wood plugs in the pool? Trying to figure out how to rig them with the bar puled or do you have to leave the bar in and use the Tomic tie off trick to change the plug's attitude.

I have never towed any wooden plugs to date but intend to this season, given I have a nice one from Van Egan's estate which I have to try.

I have perhaps another dozen or so plugs that all look good but have yet to be tried.

Maybe if I fished more..........

Take care.

All say Lucky Louie on top but only the wood one saysIMG_20190516_085344564.jpg Minser and Pat 2236353. The plastic say made in USA on bottom.

I have never towed any wooden plugs to date but intend to this season, given I have a nice one from Van Egan's estate which I have to try.

I have perhaps another dozen or so plugs that all look good but have yet to be tried.

Maybe if I fished more..........

Take care.
I am in the same boat, so to speak. I think of July 15 to 31st as the period for testing new gear, experimenting and getting the bugs out of the system. Something you do not want to be doing once the fish arrive. I have 19 Olsen plugs that are all classic Tomic repaints to try, which is why I was inquiring about the best way to rig them for rowing speed.

All say Lucky Louie on top but only the wood one saysView attachment 45420 Minser and Pat 2236353. The plastic say made in USA on bottom.
One of the common indicators whether a plastic Louie plug is a standard or a shovel nose, is the writing. I have never seen a shovel that says "made in USA" but the standard plugs do. One of the local Campbell River collectors said the same thing. It is a rule of thumb, at lease until someone shows me a shovel that has "made in USA" on it. I will try to attach a few photos of the real thing.IMG_1434.JPG I have no idea why they loaded upside down. they are right side up at this end.

Attachments

• IMG_1436 (1).JPG
    IMG_1436 (1).JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1437.JPG
    IMG_1437.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 78
Back