Shop lighting

Bifmalibu

I'm getting ready to start the process of building a shop(20'x28' with 12' high walls. I'm wondering if anybody wants to share their advice regarding lighting. What is the best these days with LED tech ect? Are fluorescents still the best, but in LED form? How to pot lights do in a shop space? I want to avoid shadows. Any info or other shop building tips appreciated.

Those look good. I got these for a large basement and I was surprised how well two of them lit the whole place. You can even change the brightness and color with the remote.
Screenshot_20210322-204514_Chrome.jpg

1396C637-26B1-4BB5-AA03-1217761EFA9D.png
We have just two of these in a 60’ x 30’ shop and it lights it up very well. We don’t really work in that shop though. Mostly just storage. But don’t be afraid of Amazon LED lights. They are amazing.

but for a shop that I was working out of and didn’t want shadows, I would make a grid of high bay LEDs

With a 12’ ceiling I wouldn’t go with anything that hangs down either go with recessed or as close to flush as you can. I like a lot of the new LED systems out there this day and age they make some nice light. I’m still old school and went fluorescent in my shop when I built but that was close to 10 years ago now. I went with T12 in my shop and am happy with it. Keep it simple and you have no issues.

They also have a good lighting calculator on there website

Last edited:
I went with ones like Casper has pic’d above but I flush mounted them. My shop is 24’x28’x11.5’ tall and have 4 (48” x 6 bulb)of them with reflectors behind the bulbs, it is very well lit with no noticeable shadows

damn I missed the fact that it’s 12’ tall ceilings. Ignore both of my suggestions haha

I changed my lights about a month ago. Took out the old 8 foot fluorescent tubes and replaced with 4 foot LED, no tube lights. They butt up against each other and plug in. Great deal brighter, no humming noise. I think they were around 60 bucks each. Quite pleassed with the results.
My ceilings are 14 feet. Plenty of light.

Attachments

• IMG_4639.jpeg
    IMG_4639.jpeg
    51.2 KB · Views: 32
The best shop lighting right now believe it or not is these new tri LED lights that costco has. Now I have existing LED linkable above my CNC equipment and they are very bright. I have a few places in shop with these now. They are insanely bright, and blow away my other ones. They just screw into normal light receptacle. Wish I had done by whole shop with them.

They are 8000 lumens each

1616510367165.png

I'm getting ready to start the process of building a shop(20'x28' with 12' high walls. I'm wondering if anybody wants to share their advice regarding lighting. What is the best these days with LED tech ect? Are fluorescents still the best, but in LED form? How to pot lights do in a shop space? I want to avoid shadows. Any info or other shop building tips appreciated.
I ended up at Princess Auto and bought LED 4ft lights both with motion detectors on some and pull switches on the other (will see if I have a pic). OK here is one showing the lights just when I added them in a small part of my shop... forget all the other "stuff". I also have an 8ft LED in the background over my bench. They are just plug and play and I now have routed all the lines.JFYI. They were quite reasonable too at around $30 each. The motion detector ones are in the background to the right and only come one when I walk to the "beer" fridge LOL. Best of luck!! 78Jrz2aPQCGCyhixT2LagA.jpg

My shop is 30x30 with a 10ft ceiling.There are 11 4’ LED made by RAB ( I have an “office“ in one corner otherwise I would have 12) very happy with the lighting, no shadows, plenty bright.

Attachments

• 1F7BAF06-93E0-41B4-930E-3AE09B32AFC7.jpeg
    1F7BAF06-93E0-41B4-930E-3AE09B32AFC7.jpeg
    304.6 KB · Views: 49
My plan is to use it for general projects/storage. I hope to build an aluminum boat or two in there. I'm a carpenter by trade and I plan to keep as much wood dust out of the building as possible, I've had my fill of woodwork. It's going to be 20' wide, 28' long. It will have a 10'wx12'H overhead door on one end and probably an 8'x8' on the other. 2 man doors. Work bench wrapping around one corner. I will have 3 windows on the south side to let in natural light.

I need to start with a lock block retaining wall first and a bit of site prep, but I'll snap some photos and share the progress once something actually happens.

Cheers all.

I would look at the LED shop lighting at Costco, they look like the old fluorescent but you can plug them altogether and only have one power source (depending on size of shop) very bright and very reasonable price

Which ones are those? So many to choose from on Amazon
They are made by Sunco. Currently not in stock but I emailed them a couple weeks ago and they should have new stock in the next 3 to 4 weeks

I replaced 2 4ft T8 flourescents in my garage with 2 Galaxy LED 4 ft strip LEDs. Way brighter as mentioned , will see how they hold up.

Back