Hooks for Shimano Fall Flat

Bugs

After the rave reviews I bought a couple of shimano fall flat jigs and have been giving it a go. I am hitting fish but the hooked to landed ratio is appalling. The small hooks that come on these jigs (2 singles attached by braid) don't inspire too much confidence with the barb pinched. What do other folks use? I was considering replacing the paired hooks with a swivel and single gammy big river open eye. Thoughts?

They've been the latest new best thing on the sport boats in San Diego for the past few years. Guys sometimes swap out a treble on the bottom and move the two assist hooks to the top, especially on the larger models.

I have a question on these.

what sort of leader material is used? I’ve got braid mainline typically to a clip. Are guys tying on a bit of mono leader? If so I’d imagine only 3-4 feet?

I have a question on these.

what sort of leader material is used? I’ve got braid mainline typically to a clip. Are guys tying on a bit of mono leader? If so I’d imagine only 3-4 feet?
with 0 stretch from the braid, i find the hooks tear out easily. Would be best to use a mono or flouro leader for a bit of stretch.

You want flouro or mono leader for a little stretch and flouro is a little stiff which helps them flutter better

What kind of rod is that?

The rod is a Shimano "Game Type J" paired with a Shimano Trinidad 16NA. That rod is as small & light as a trout rod. I have caught 60lb Halibut & mant Lings over 30# with it. It wont break. It actually puts a beating on the fish.

Were you Yo-Yo jigging (dropping down to bottom. then cranking up as fast as you can)?

Sort of. I mostly jig up & then crank it twice on the way down. with a second or 2 pause in between. This allows some fall & flutter. Each crank is 5' so its hauling butt when i am cranking. When you crank the reel it loads up the rod tip & launches the jig back up. In short its a fast darting motion on the way up... If that makes scene?

Also, I typically drop it to the top of the bait ball. I have colored line that changes every 25' so I can set it where I want it.

Thanks. Do you wait until you mark fish, then target those or just randomly jig areas with alot of bait? Please pardon my ignorance but I live in Wpg and I'm a salmon virgin :( so I'm all ears! However, I am coming to Port Hardy in 10 more sleeps to pop that cherry! Self guided but I have fished the sport boats in San Diego many times so I sorta got a clue about deep water vertical jigging. I've also guided for lakers in NWT and musky in Lake of the Woods so I do know what end of the fishing rod to hold. It's some fun when you're cranking up and a fish chases up and smashes it eh? Twice I've seen ~15 lb ish lake trout yank the rod right out of somebody's hands! :D. I find a good line counter reel works perfectly for dropping your jig to the exact desired depth.

I do plan on pulling spoons and hootchies for the most part though....

Last edited:
Thanks. Do you wait until you mark fish, then target those or just randomly jig areas with alot of bait? Please pardon my ignorance but I live in Wpg and I'm a salmon virgin :( so I'm all ears! However, I am coming to Port Hardy in 10 more sleeps to pop that cherry! Self guided but I have fished the sport boats in San Diego many times so I sorta got a clue about deep water vertical jigging. I've also guided for lakers in NWT and musky in Lake of the Woods so I do know what end of the fishing rod to hold. It's some fun when you're cranking up and a fish chases up and smashes it eh? Twice I've seen ~15 lb ish lake trout yank the rod right out of somebody's hands! :D. I find a good line counter reel works perfectly for dropping your jig to the exact desired depth.

I do plan on pulling spoons and hootchies for the most part though....

I will stop & just work bait. I dont need to see fish.

Best to find bait pushed up off bottom. 20200722_191703.jpg

Back