Shawnigan Mainline or Wellburne Mountain

I have lived in Glenora for the last 7 years and take pride in the fact that I live so close to some of the best fishing lakes around. Mainly flyfishing. I am referring to of course the shawnigan maine line eg Pete's Pond, Lois Lake and many others. Well the Timber Companys are now Logging seven days a week and so normally when the weekend came you used to be able to take the lake of choice and go have some fun. Now they are (Security Net) turning fisherman and hunters around and saying "No more" he also noted that there is no end in site for all this new logging schedule. This is also the Case in Chemainus from what I've been told "Copper Canyon" and the only lakes that they recomend to fish is the Naniamo Lakes...that are also rumored to be next! I love fishing in the mountains. Do any of you have any better information then I do? I just want to go back into the mountains and catch some trout!

Are they actually working 7 days a week, or is this part of the trend to shut the privately owned forest lands to the public?
I've heard this was happening on the Northern half of the Island, but thought we were being spared here in the south.

They are absolutely working seven days a week, the toll booth man no longer works at the gate. the shack is removed. The gate is open only during the day for the workers to go back and forth. This is truly disturbing, I never thought this could happen.[V]

There are many user groups lobbying against this issue. There has been some recent coverage on CBC radio and even a clip on CH TV a few weeks ago.
Get involved!! Write letters to your MLA, Timber West, your government.
There are endless threads on this on huntingbc.ca
All of the information is there including addresses, e-mail addresses, names and phone numbers of who to contact.

The more public pressure the better!!

Check this out. Stocking of these lakes will not continue??!!
http://www.gofishbc.com/Reg_Note.htm#access

Sick!!

Tips

Tips

Wow... does this include Wild Deer and Lois main? I'm surprised that in a country like Canada they can deny us access, do we not have a right to enjoy these lakes?

While riding the Quads we have been chased out of Wild Deer by Timberwest. Kapore hill has been gated off as well, preventing flyfishing at weeks and Jarvis lakes. Sad how the vandalism has affected all of us in a negative way. Tax dollars at work.

Yes this all applies to Copper Canyon too. One of our arguements has always been, "Our $$ goes to stocking these lakes!" and apparently TimberWest has applied to stop the stocking of Reinhart, Holy Oak, Silver and Spartan lake in the Copper Canyon access. So then they could deny us access!
Jump on board to stop this nonsense!

Don't the logging companies have to supply a small percentage of the timber lease for recreation use under the agreement with the crown? I'm sure that is the case, unless things have been changed, does anyone know more about this? I have a friend whose a forester, who may have some info.

Nothing better than a 2100 Husky, 6 Quads and a few new trails to put a cute look on ol' "Tinderwests" road Ranger's face this Spring in the Shawnigan Hills. We have been stomping these trails for 20 years, last year my buddies 9 year old kid was run off the road on his Dirtbike from behind by some %&%^ in a timberwest truck! Nice...He took off in a cloud of dust and never looked back.

Rumor has it TimberWest is now looking at gating off Duncan Bay and Elk River mainline between Courtenay and Campbell river

Reel Easy... I think your statement is correct when they were leasing land. Now they own most of their land. This is a huge issue that effects all users of the forest land.
Please check out the information on huntingbc.ca
All the names and contact information is there.

The more letters written the better!!

Tips

The gate from Deerholm has been taken to Buckly Bay. They are logging here 7 days a week, but I haven't been hassled in the least by any crews working Shawnigan Div. They are slaughtering the trees right down to the creeks again though thanks to this useless governments policies on policing themselves. Holt Creek is a steely berring creek being devistated by the bastards. It's got to be stopped somehow, question is how ?

The slope of the upper Englishman was logged to within 50' of the bank a couple years ago...like that system hasn't been ****ed up enough by 150 years of logging. Every rainstorm blows that river out.
The mainline there is closed every Monday to Friday (7 days/week in the summer).

The slope of the upper Englishman was logged to within 50' of the bank a couple years ago...like that system hasn't been ****ed up enough by 150 years of logging. Every rainstorm blows that river out.
The mainline there is closed every Monday to Friday (7 days/week in the summer).

Back