shawnigan lake bass help!

JuBy

Hi there,

I wanted to change things up and try for bass either fly fishing or just normal rod and gear. I have never really tried them before but I was going to take my girlfriend down to shawnigan for a day and just try and have some fun catch and release fishing for bass. I was wondering if anyone could give me a couple pointers or tips on what I should use and where I should go in shawnigan to hopefully have some luck on the water. I was thinking of targeting the western arm of the lake.

Thanks and hopefully everyone gets out to enjoy the fine weekend with friends and family!

juby.

West arm. Points and underwater rock piles. Cast along shore around any structure (docs, trees, weeds etc.)

They should be hitting on crank baits by now and you will probay find some on nests. Always look in the water you'll see em down there.

Try to avoid harassing nested fish they are territorial and good ethics would say leave em alone when they are protecting their eggs. That said if fishing is slow give em a cast or two for some action bass take really well to C&R so don't feel too bad just don't camp the same fish for hours. Yes you can catch them multiple times.

Have fun there are some real lunkers in there.

I fish shawnigan weekly and im going to be out there tomorrow and sunday. West arm is decent action lots of smaller fish right now with the odd lunker. Most fish are off beds now and cruising shoals and structure. Crankbaits were alright last weekend should be better this weekend.

The entire lake is good so start in a spot and just keep fishing your way around the lake.

Im on the water in my 18ft Champ bass boat so feel free to ask any questions if you see me out there.

Perfect! Thanks for the advice is there any other sections of the lake I should target for bigger fish or is it all pretty much the same?

QUOTE=BrodieG;294003]I fish shawnigan weekly and im going to be out there tomorrow and sunday. West arm is decent action lots of smaller fish right now with the odd lunker. Most fish are off beds now and cruising shoals and structure. Crankbaits were alright last weekend should be better this weekend.

The entire lake is good so start in a spot and just keep fishing your way around the lake.

Im on the water in my 18ft Champ bass boat so feel free to ask any questions if you see me out there.[/QUOTE]

Perfect! Thanks for the advice is there any other sections of the lake I should target for bigger fish or is it all pretty much the same?

QUOTE=BrodieG;294003]I fish shawnigan weekly and im going to be out there tomorrow and sunday. West arm is decent action lots of smaller fish right now with the odd lunker. Most fish are off beds now and cruising shoals and structure. Crankbaits were alright last weekend should be better this weekend.

Im on the water in my 18ft Champ bass boat so feel free to ask any questions if you see me out there.
[/QUOTE]

Holy smokes! How much advice do you need?? They just gave you a ton of info. Now it's time to go out and try it for yourself :)

hheading out tomorrow whats the one lure i should be washing in the lake the most? i have no idea what to use...was going to just use worms and a bobber with a big leader around docks/logs etc

Worms will work but you will catch alot of illegally stocked perch ( same with the bass,sunfish,catfish,etc):(

Use Senko rubber worms texas rigged on a wide gap hook with no weight and let them free fall. Best bass lure by far.

Back