SG Power Closing in Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaelc

Another retailer closes, they had been up for sale for years apparently and their lease was up. Closing in June. Finding another location and moving to it seemed pretty difficult for me but getting the brands to transfer was apparently a problem too and often is for retailers. Sad for their employees, had a great young kid helping me out today. Are there no motor dealers/parts in Victoria proper anymore?

No! I just picked up dirt bikes from there, something to offset the boating addiction and that my boy is more into these days. They were great to deal with, although somewhat short-staffed, John was working his butt off for us. Sure they aren't relocating somewhere?

I heard a rumour Ina Marine bought the business and is relocating it to Langford merging it with there Mercury store.

Again maybe just a rumour but I have been told this more than once.

Well i have a new main engine i ordered almost 2 months ago from them. Hope i don't get impacted: (

Well i have a new main engine i ordered almost 2 months ago from them. Hope i don't get impacted: (
Honestly, Call and ask for your deposit back. You're not going to get it....
I heard a rumour Ina Marine bought the business and is relocating it to Langford merging it with there Mercury store.

Ina was going to buy but didn't have adequate floorspace to be a yamaha dealer. So deal fell through. Really hard to become a new Yamaha dealer from what I've heard. Apparently, it was not worth buying for just honda and zuki.

Barnes Motorcycles bought SG just to shut them down and get the market monopoly, they were their last competitor in town.

Yeah, I think they may buy the remaining inventory but the original deal with them getting yami fell through.

Barns wanted the Kawasaki dealership and got it.

Definitely not relocating. Thankful there is Trotac still in the core, but I bought everything my engines need at SG yesterday since even figuring out the inventory won’t be easy for Ina. How is Ina to deal with? They used to be Stu’s part of the Alpine group?

This’ll put more stress in Sherwood. Sounded like they couldn’t handle the volume as it was.

This’ll put more stress in Sherwood. Sounded like they couldn’t handle the volume as it was.

From Personal experiences and second hand accounts, it's not a matter of handling volume, they're set up to service like 8-10 boats at onceIts lack of good personel retention. Talk to any marine mechanic on the south island, he will have worked at sherwood, if you ask him if he would go back, the answer is always going to be the same "NO Way!" On top of that it's pretty clear to Barry Sherwood now that if you have a Japanese motor and don't want to take it across the malahat, you are stuck going there.
Yeah, I think they may buy the remaining inventory but the original deal with them getting yami fell through.

Barns wanted the Kawasaki dealership and got it.

Definitely not relocating. Thankful there is Trotac still in the core, but I bought everything my engines need at SG yesterday since even figuring out the inventory won’t be easy for Ina. How is Ina to deal with? They used to be Stu’s part of the Alpine group?
VERY EXPENSIVE. In my Experience, Trotac tries to beat MSRP, SG sold for MSRP, Sherwood Sells for 10-15% above MSRP. INA is 50% or more above it. Go walk through the store and look at price tags on "generic" marine items. It'll blow you away.

If you own a Mercury or Suzuki, I would VERY HIGHLY recommend calling Vector Yacht Services in Sidney. Tyler, SG's former parts Manager runs the parts department there now and its just a much better run operation. They have a few very knowledgable techs, everyone seems to be happy to work there, the owner is willing to pay for quality employees, and keep them happy. It shows.

Wow, I sure hope a new business starts up to replace SG! Otherwise there will be a monopoly for Honda and Yamaha motors in Victoria. Never good for the consumer when a monopoly exists.

I would VERY HIGHLY recommend calling Vector Yacht Services in Sidney. Tyler, SG's former parts Manager runs the parts department there now and its just a much better run operation. They have a few very knowledgable techs, everyone seems to be happy to work there, the owner is willing to pay for quality employees, and keep them happy. It shows.
I concur with this Todd and Cory are great guys Todd really helped me out and I personally couldn't be more happy with the service Vector has been to me. They had my boat for a bit in fal/winter as like EVERYWHERE else waiting on parts, when I finally was able to pick boat up they even cleaned my inside of boat as im sure there was some mold etc sitting in the damp for so long, It comes down to service and doing just lil things. Ive had Good service with S& G as well sad to see it go...

Sad news, bought my Silver Streak through them nearly 2 years ago and they were awesome to deal with.

If you own a Mercury or Suzuki, I would VERY HIGHLY recommend calling Vector Yacht Services in Sidney. Tyler, SG's former parts Manager runs the parts department there now and its just a much better run operation. They have a few very knowledgable techs, everyone seems to be happy to work there, the owner is willing to pay for quality employees, and keep them happy. It shows.

Same here. I had a local Merc dealer tell me the broken bolt on my 2 year old Merc steering was no longer under warranty according to factory Rep even though I pointed out I bought it with a new Merc motor which means the new steering also gets a 3 year warranty. So they charged me to a pile of money and put some generic non Merc parts in which immediately failed.

Took the boat to Vector who bypassed the rep and called Merc directly at my request. Merc confirmed the steering was still under warranty as I knew it was. Vector fixed up the mess the previous shop charged me for at no charge under warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back