SFAB letters to send to DFO and others

My letter to the Minister was sent out Friday afternoon regarding the halibut issue. I will follow up with an email next week to ensure that it has been received. I will be sending out another letter as well discussing the concerns I have with salmon stocks.

...Rob H

My letter to the Minister was sent out Friday afternoon regarding the halibut issue. I will follow up with an email next week to ensure that it has been received. I will be sending out another letter as well discussing the concerns I have with salmon stocks.

...Rob H

My letters have been sent. it feels good to have done a little something. Id hate to look back in regret and wish I had when I had the chance. I sat in my basement tying hali rigs, staring out the window at the boat in the driveway all ready to go...@#$@#$,,Dfo... enough to get me writing a second letter out of frustration.

pissongrady-1.jpg

Here is what I received today - surprisingly quick:

SUBJECT: FISHERIES MANAGEMENT

Thank you for your correspondence addressed to the Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans, regarding various fishery management issues and allocations for salmon and halibut recreational fisheries. I have been asked to respond on behalf of Minister Shea.

Let me assure you that Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) recognizes the importance of the recreational sector in British Columbia#146;s fisheries, and that the protection and conservation of our wild salmon is a priority for DFO.

As you raise many topics in your letter, I have responded to each in separate sections below.

Halibut

The Canadian total allowable catch (TAC) of Pacific halibut is determined on an annual basis through the International Pacific Halibut Commission, which was established in 1923 by a Convention between Canada and the United States. Canada remains committed to meeting its international obligations with regard to the management of the halibut fishery.

In 2003, a domestic allocation framework was announced to provide 12 percent of the Canadian TAC to the recreational fishery, which was three percent higher than the recreational halibut harvest at that time, until an acceptable adjustment mechanism could be developed. Although the percentages allocated to the recreational and commercial sectors have remained constant, a lower Canadian TAC means that the quantity of fish for each sector has declined.

In 2007, renewed efforts between the Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB), the Pacific Halibut Management Association and DFO were launched to investigate an approach that would provide a longer-term solution for a catch-share adjustment mechanism. Some upward adjustment of the 12 percent allocation was made for the 2008 season, but we still do not have an agreed-upon mechanism that would allow for continued catch-share adjustments into the future.

In 2008, new management measures were introduced in the recreational fishery in an effort to ensure compliance with the Canadian TAC and the established share for the recreational fishery. By late October of 2008, the recreational fishery harvest had significantly exceeded its share of the TAC, with a catch that was approximately

25 percent above the 2008 recreational limit. While I recognize the importance of providing stable access to the fishery, the Pacific halibut fishery must be managed in accordance with the TAC. To achieve this goal, both the commercial and recreational fisheries must be managed effectively.

DFO is dedicated to continuing discussions with both the recreational and commercial sectors on implementation of the allocation framework and development of a longer-term solution for the catch-share adjustment mechanism. As well, we will need to plan and manage Canadian halibut fisheries in accordance with the Canadian TAC, to ensure ongoing sustainability of the resource for the benefit of all Canadians. We are working with the SFAB on the recreational measures for this year#146;s halibut fishery. We anticipate finalizing the 2009 approach shortly.

Salmon

Canada#146;s Policy for the Conservation of Wild Pacific Salmon provides a strong foundation for managing Pacific Coast salmon stocks by setting out a process for the protection, conservation and rebuilding of wild salmon and their marine and freshwater ecosystems.

In addition, DFO#146;s Allocation Policy for Pacific Salmon states that, after conservation needs are met, priority is given to First Nations food, social and ceremonial (FSC) harvest. For Chinook and coho salmon, the FSC priority is followed by the recreational sector. Directed Chinook and coho commercial fisheries would occur only when those stocks are still available in sufficient abundance. For sockeye, chum, and pink salmon, commercial fleets have priority access after FSC. The Department will continue to honour this allocation policy.

Salmon enhancement

With regard to your concern about funding of salmon enhancement, the Government of Canada maintains stable funding for the Salmonid Enhancement Program (SEP), with an annual budget of $26 million. These funds provide for hatchery operations, restoration of salmon habitat, rebuilding of vulnerable stocks, and support for community groups to protect the salmon resource. In addition, SEP has partnerships with stakeholders, other agencies and business organizations that provide over $5 million of additional funding each year to restore salmon habitat, and works with over 10,000 community volunteers throughout British Columbia. In addition, the Government of Canada will invest an additional $250 million over two years to modernize federal laboratories across the country, and a portion of these funds will be put toward Salmon Enhancement Program facilities throughout British Columbia.

Aquaculture and wild salmon

DFO only supports the development of sustainable aquaculture within the context of conserving and rebuilding our wild Pacific salmon. While Canadian returns of Pacific salmon in 2008 were low, the coast-wide scope of the decline across all Pacific salmon species suggests that this decline is associated with much larger ecological events than localized salmon farming. These events include climate change and changes in ocean productivity along our West Coast.

Having said that, the Department also recognizes its responsibility with regard to aquaculture. All aquaculture operations must meet rigorous environmental standards under a number of federal and provincial statutes, including the Fisheries Act and the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, to ensure our marine ecosystems are not compromised. British Columbia#146;s Ministry of Agriculture and Lands is responsible for licensing aquaculture, approving initial applications and tenuring, auditing fish health, and inspecting fish farms for regulation compliance.

Please be assured that DFO will continue to manage fisheries to conserve, protect and, where necessary, rebuild stocks for current and future generations. I trust this addresses your concerns regarding the recreational fishery and broader fishery management issues.

Yours sincerely,
Andrew Thomson

Andrew Thomson
A/Regional Director / A/Directeur régionale
Fisheries and Aquaculture Branch / Direction des pêches et de l'aquaculture
Fisheries and Oceans Canada Pêches et Océans Canada
200-401 Burrard Street / 401, rue Burrard, bureau 200
Vancouver, BC/CB V6C 3S4
Office / Téléphone 604-666-0753

Why is it again that I only read bluh bluh bluh? And why is it that this sentence worries me most:
quote:please be assured that DFO will continue to manage fisheries to conserve, protect and, where necessary, rebuild stocks for current and future generations.
???

lmao - nice form letter - most of that is word for word what he sent me last month...just tweaks the end to 'personalize' a bit more. Regardless, he will get tired of it eventually. Will be interesting how/if he responds to mine, that then broke down his form letter and asks more why why why's!

Well i got one back very smiular just wondering why we havent heard anything yet as Kent said we would know before the weekend and still nothing I think ill just go fishing soon if no answer!!!!!!!
Its really starting to pi$$ me off.

wolf

sent my letter last thursday. came home tonight and it was in the mailbox with a sticker from canada post saying that I didn't attached postage. I used the envelope that I got at the SFAB meeting last week. anyone else get theirs returned?

I sent emails and hard copy letters. This was in response to an email letter.

No, my mail letters did not come back. And if addressed to House of Commons they must deliver for free...abl: Try again and maybe highlight House of Commons with a marker pen.

Chris,

Thanks for sharing your reply from Thomson.

Biggest glaring error - he misses the biggest factoid about this issue. When 2003 decision was made for 12% to rec sector, DFO and Minister at the time wrongly guessed we were under that mark (at 7%). So with declining IPHC Int'l TAC to follow precautionary management and increased rec hali numbers due to better catch acounting, we were screwed before we even got to the altar.

Note: likely to be zero $s in PHMA rec fish bank acct to lease quota for keeping us on the water after this year. If so next year will be NO picnic let me tell you unless there is big change in DFO stance.

New South Island Sport Fishing Coalition Steering Committee has its first meeting tonight. Stay tuned for news. I hear there is an action plan being developed ...

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

historicaly i believe the limit for halibut was one a day and one possession when thedfo changed it to 1 a day and2 possessionis when the trouble started.if one halibut isnt enough release it and get a bigger one. they always swim away.seemingly okay, and quickly too.

quote:Originally posted by bee15

historicaly i believe the limit for halibut was one a day and one possession when thedfo changed it to 1 a day and2 possessionis when the trouble started.if one halibut isnt enough release it and get a bigger one. they always swim away.seemingly okay, and quickly too.

They don't always swim away. There is a mortality of approx 16% on released fish. I do agree with you on the possession limit.
With the increase in effort there just isn't enough to go around.

There are more than enough halis to warrant a 2 day limit - the problem is they are unfairly clawed back by the commercials...!

So we have all sent our letters and are getting (weak) responses from the person designated by the Ministry. Does Minister Shea have any idea these letters have been received? Does she hear our concerns?
I am doubtfull.

We are now 11 days into our halibut season and still no date set for an opening. I am very unclear as to what the hold up is. What new information are they waiting for?

Here is another idea... What if we pick a week asap to hammer the phone lines to the local DFO office? Every day for a week everyone calls to enquire as to when the halibut season is scheduled to be open. Make them answer the question over and over until they make it a priority to make a decision. I would certainly find the time to call once a day for 5 days.
Thoughts??

Is the New South Island Sport Fishing Coalition Steering Committee the commitee that was formed at the last meeting? Does anyone have a contact for this group?

Tips

Back