SFAB letters to send to DFO and others

quote:what does this mean?

What that means is that the commercials transfer 500,000 lbs of hali from their 2008 quota to their 2009 quota because they couldn't catch it all in one year and we get cut short! During the years when we sporties allegedly stayed under our quota the shortfall went straight to the commercials. If that's not a sign of an unfair allocation I don't know what is!

Same here as well Kelly probablly the same fellow from NS.
Keep up the good work people and for you who havent writtn do it now because as you can see it is helping as people are taking notice.
If we keep it up sooner or later the ministry is going to say one day to her staff .
"OK find out what the hell is pissing these west coasters off so much"

Keep up the good work thanks

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Got a phone call from the Hon. Peter Stoffer, NDP Fisheries Critic, asking me to pass on the Hon. Fisheries Minister Gail Shea's reply to three questions that I asked her to respond to. Asked the Hon. Gary Lunn to confirm receipt of my email and asked him what he intended to do to address our concerns - no confirmation of receipt of email!

I am a sporty and did ask a number of questions at the SFAB meeting last week.

quote:Originally posted by chris73

quote:what does this mean?

What that means is that the commercials transfer 500,000 lbs of hali from their 2008 quota to their 2009 quota because they couldn't catch it all in one year and we get cut short! During the years when we sporties allegedly stayed under our quota the shortfall went straight to the commercials. If that's not a sign of an unfair allocation I don't know what is!
Chris;
you are way off on this one. The commercials leased the underage from the sports sector 2 years in a row. That money, 1.8mill + interest, was used to fund the J.O. Thomas report $200,000+ (waste of money) and $600,000 was used in 2008 to lease halibut back(approx 145,000lbs) to the sports sector. there is still 1.2mill in the bank that is supposed to be used this year to aquire commercial quota for the sports sector. I believe part of the fish we aquire this year is suppose to go against last years overage and the other part to increase our allocation for 2009.So as you can see the transfer mechanism does work in both directions.

I seem to rememberthat we leased quite a pile of our uncaught sports halibut to the commercials for a couple years and that the plan was to lease some of theirs if we went over.What I don't understand is why it took so long after we started supassing our limits (and getting penalized with less to catch each year from IPHC as they have no choice but to take it away from all of Canada)to start leasing it from commercials. It seems so simple to do now that we have done it for 08.What about 06 and 07? If charters are bringing in so much money,why don't they pay for what they are taking away from the rest of us that just want to get one to eat. I see that in 2008, 69% of sport caught halibut were taken by charters, isn't that the area of this fishery that needs to look at it's self when too much is caught? We are looking at a smaller pie to cut our piece out of ,so maybe we have to back off on harvests if we want to have the numbers up later.Everyone is getting cut equally. To take fish from commercial and not bring some reductions in our catch would only delay the inevitable. Weare not like the Federal Reserve in that we can't just print more halibut to get us out of this spot. Common sense has to come into it somewhere.

quote:fish4all Posted - 02/12/2009 : 21:46:35
So as you can see the transfer mechanism does work in both directions.

It works? Disagree! While our shortfall quota was "leased" away very quickly, last year when we needed to buy some back to keep a full season it was a struggle to access the money and at the end we were still closed for several months of the season. And this is view of 500k lbs carry-over by the commercials. Why couldn't we carry-over the first few years? "Leasing" the 145k lbs was a joke! And "leasing" seems not the right word - more giving away since the money is hardly accessible for us sporties even for the purpose intented... It clearly NOT works.[xx(]

I have a hard time swallowing this idea of leasing fish. Who owns them? Why should one group have such control? I thought that the system was run by the international halibut.. who ever told them that they had a right to lease fish? Something smells fishy here. It sounds more like a big business style set up with the governments that allow somebody's buddies have control of a public resource and make some cash from it.
For an example take a look at your power bills. For buying power from one corporation there is sure a lot of extra charges on that bill for the same power. That is called de-regulation where the government lets the fox run the chicken coop.:(

IMG_1445.jpg

Back