Self bailing Hourston

Hello
Has anybody here raised the floor on a Hourston 23 to covert to a self bailing deck?
I’m building one and could use the measurements.

I considered self-bailing when I rebuilt my 23. Campbell Black, the owner @ Blackline suggested I not, unless I was really committed to the idea.

His reasoning was that few fishermen put themselves in conditions that warrant self-bailing, but many fisherman are routinely in conditions where having a cockpit that is hip-deep is a big advantage over a cockpit that is knee deep and self-bailing. Having a small kid reinforced the benefit of a deep cockpit.

Instead, we installed a large capacity manual bilge pump in addition to the electric one. For us, that was the right call.

I considered self-bailing when I rebuilt my 23. Campbell Black, the owner @ Blackline suggested I not, unless I was really committed to the idea.

His reasoning was that few fishermen put themselves in conditions that warrant self-bailing, but many fisherman are routinely in conditions where having a cockpit that is hip-deep is a big advantage over a cockpit that is knee deep and self-bailing. Having a small kid reinforced the benefit of a deep cockpit.

Instead, we installed a large capacity manual bilge pump in addition to the electric one. For us, that was the right call.
That’s a good point

I too looked into the idea of a self bailing deck for my 23. In the end, like Eden Island, I kept the deep floor and installed double bilge pumps. So much easier to fish from with nice high sides. Most (all?) of my water collection would be from rainfall anyways so I had Friendly Bear in Campbell make a slope top canvas that keeps ’er dry when parked. Happy with the choice so far.

Ya she’s hip deep if you got that much water coming in the boat to where it’s needed look at a bigger boat . The 26 sport fishers I see with it are about knee deep give or take . But I guess you didn’t ask for opinions

Back