Seiners at the South Arm

From yesterday, sockeye mesh, at least the cottonwood test agrees with you

<Cottonwood GN> Gilled vs. Tangled: Sock Adult: 173 (0), Chin Adult: 0 (25), Chin Jack: 0 (1), Coho: 26 (0),
Chum: 1 (0).
<Whonnock GN> Gilled vs. Tangled: Sock Adult: 85 (48), Chin Adult: 14 (7), Chin Jack: 1 (0), Coho: 4 (4), Chum:
4 (8).

I am not disagree that that's your experience tho, A chum gillnetter said in 40 years fishing chum on the fraser never caught a steelhead.

My statement was confined to Alex Fraser Bridge and lower.
Different things may happen up river that would require different ways to resolve.

All I am saying is that commercial net fishing can be done in an effective and responsible manner.
They can also be done is a very destructive manner.

That's why I respond positively to @StormTrooper 's message, don't blame heterogeneous groups, demonize bad behaviours by bad actors.
Otherwise DFO divide to conquer and manage to zero wins.

30 total gilled endangered Interior Fraser coho in the short test sets (it isn’t lower Fraser coho moving through this early), kinda proves the point. Plus I think a lot of folks don’t appreciate how small the “lower quartile”size of some of the threatened Interior Chinook stocks are, but 8-12lbers do get gilled. Plus, despite some hog Thompson steelhead, most Cariboo and Thompson steelhead fall well within the susceptible size range.

Cheers!

Ukee

Hey Ukee - we landed a clipped coho at the mouth last week. My buddy fished the Vedder earlier this week and there’s been 8 cohos caught in the lower stretch of that river in 1 morning. Point is, not all coho caught in test nets are endangered interior fish.

Tight lines!

Why does a guy on the sein boat hit the water with that pole. Watched a video saw a guy doing it, have no clue what it does.
Thanks in advance .

Why does a guy on the sein boat hit the water with that pole. Watched a video saw a guy doing it, have no clue what it does.
Thanks in advance .
When schooling fish are scared they get closer together. With 360 sonar they have an accurate display of what’s going on under water. Surround the school and close them all in.

Whales use bubbles, blackfish use sounds and each other, and fishermen use sticks lol.

Once the net is attached to the boat at both ends, they begin to drum in one end and purse the bottom of the net at the same time. The only way out is under the boat until the purse line and the attached rings are up and out of the water. The odd one jumps over the corks. So some guys use aluminum plungers on long poles to smack the water to make a popping noise and bubbles to turn the fish away from their escape route and back into the net.
I suppose other boats could do the same to herd fish into a different boat's net.
I never fished with the quota system, so there wasn't much cooperation unless someone was in trouble somehow and needed a tow to safer waters.

Once the net is attached to the boat at both ends, they begin to drum in one end and purse the bottom of the net at the same time. The only way out is under the boat until the purse line and the attached rings are up and out of the water. The odd one jumps over the corks. So some guys use aluminum plungers on long poles to smack the water to make a popping noise and bubbles to turn the fish away from their escape route and back into the net.
I suppose other boats could do the same to herd fish into a different boat's net.
I never fished with the quota system, so there wasn't much cooperation unless someone was in trouble somehow and needed a tow to safer waters.
They plunge the water to keep fish from sounding. 20000 sockeye can sound and roll a siener over.

20,000 sockeye can’t roll most of the seine boats over. Most of our nets will break first. We “plunge” in the stern to turn any fish around that might be swimming towards the back end.
Until the Net is closed that is the shallowest part of the seine.

And, why is this area open to Commercial fishing when it is closed to Recreational fishing. Isn't that a dual standard, or is it systemic bias? Not picking any fish fights with commercial fishers, just questioning the management logic going on.

And, why is this area open to Commercial fishing when it is closed to Recreational fishing. Isn't that a dual standard, or is it systemic bias? Not picking any fish fights with commercial fishers, just questioning the management logic going on.
its still open to recreational fishing

Some of the Banana was opening to gill netters and seiners. In river is also closed to sockeye for recs but opening to short seines and beach seines for economic commercial openings. When I was out tho i saw them mostly stay in the same areas as rec boats.

The commercial trollers were stuck with the same regs as us in 29-3 -29-4

My only issue is recs in the SOG took a 35% haircut for Chinook and then you go and have a bunch of commercial sockeye openings where those Harrison Chinook will get intercepted as by catch.

Did the 35% cut actually get pushed through to the spawning grounds like dfo assured us it would? had this not been a sockeye year i would of said yes but a lot of chinook got intercepted as by catch.

Can you prove this? We fished yesterday. 68,000 lbs of sockeye. Revived and released 2 small springs and 1 coho. In the logbook with an observer on board. As well as validated at the plant.

I was refering to the whole sockeye fishery and comparing it to a year where their is not a sockeye fishery.

You think all the by catch from all the commercial fisheries included gillnets in river is a small amount?

Can you prove this? We fished yesterday. 68,000 lbs of sockeye. Revived and released 2 small springs and 1 coho. In the logbook with an observer on board. As well as validated at the plant.

I would personally prefer that seines were used more throughout all fisheries. Any chum out there?

I’d rather you guys stay and catch the chum quota then have it caught later by gilnetters in river

Last edited:
I believe you are incorrect on that (Area 29-10 is closed to Rec fishing):

rea 29:

Seines remains open to fishing from 06:00 hours until 21:00 hours daily until
further notice in Subareas 29-3, 29-4, 29-6, and 29-10 in waters no shallower
than 45 metres (approximately 27 fathoms). Minimum bunt mesh size 70 mm. The
use of power skiffs is permitted.

Back