Secret Source for 100 Watt Incandescent Bulbs?

Dogbreath

Yeah I know I'm late to the party but today it hit me just how weak those POFS fluorescent bulbs they sell now really are.

I substituted a new age fluorescent for an incandescent supposed to be the same light level but it's not even close and the kicker is that it's the hallway where I have my fishing rods and charts on the wall-with the new bulb I can barely read the charts at all.

Three times the price of the old ones plus I have to pay a $pecial fee just for the privilege of owning one!

So I guess I have to install a new fixture and slap in two 60W incandescent no way around it.

Do what I do....Buy all the 40-100watt incandescent bulbs that you can and put them in your storage. When ever I see them and have a extra 10 or 20 I buy them a put them away for years to come. I have totes full off them now.

LED is the way the industry will be going soon. It has already started and the ones already out there are very good. 25,000 to 50,000 hrs life (10 to 12 years) , 5 year warranty, they do project light even better than halogen, better colour than halogen, cooler than halogen, instant start up, indoor or outdoor, dimmable, and low power consumption. Expensive right now but great incentive rebates from BC Hydro for commercial applications. Forget fluorescent...LED is where it will go.

Home Depot in CR (and I'm sure the rest of the stores ) are clearing incandescent bulbs right now. We have pallets of them for $2.99 a 4 pack. Not sure if there's any 100"s left, but we have 60's out the wazoo.

Actually if you buy the really cheap ones and leave them on long enough, they will really light up your house!

I thought I had missed the boat on these as well, but was in the R C Stupidstore on Grandview at Rupert last weekend and they had lots, 60W, 75W, 100W, even the rough service ones which I use in the engine compartment to keep the chill off in the winter. I checked there a couple of months ago and they said they wouldn't be getting any more in, but luckily they were wrong... Stocked up, now the wife thinks I'm a hoarder.

Actually, just re-reading your post, those Halogena bulbs might do the trick for you, tho' they are pretty pricey too, but the light is better.

Canadian Tire, picked some today, they have lots!
I got them for as little as 4 "100 watt Value Bulbs for $1.97!!!!!!!!!
Bought 30 x 100w, 20 x 60w.

Some facts for you advocators of the CFL lamp:

1) CFLs' contain up to 5mgs of mercury. A broken CFL can disperse up to 100 times more mercury in the air than the maximum chronic exposure level. If 1 in 4 CFL lamps is actually recycled (800million were disposed of last year according to the EPA) 800,000,000 / 4 x 5mg =1,000kg of mercury in the environment.It is estimated that 98% of CFLs end up in the landfill. Mercury is a neurotoxin that never leaves your body,and does not become inert over time. Rather, when mercury is introduced to water, a biological process occurs that changes the composition of the metal into an organic compound called methylmercury, which is the most toxic form of mercury,and is the type found in fish and marine life.

2) Incandescent light bulbs are energy inefficient, if you only account for lighting costs. Up to 40% of the energy consumed by an incandescent is released as heat. So that 100w incandescent is also a small (40 watt) electric heater. This can be considered wasteful in 21 degree weather, but we only hit that temperature in June,July and August, which is coincidentally our longest and brightest days.

3)A CFL lamp takes approx. 1.8kw of energy to create, compared to 0.11kw for an incandescent. Like just about everything else, China is the principal manufacturer. China's primary source of electricity comes from coal burning generation facilities. That makes for a large carbon footprint before the lamps are even transported!

4) CFL's emit UV radiation. This radiation irritates various skin disorders (ie: eczema, dermatitis) A study in the U.K. showed that 100,000 people are photosensitive to fluorescent light . Migraine sufferers are 3 times more likely to contract migraines under fluorescent lighting, and epileptic seizures can be triggered by the flicker of a fluorescent lamp.

So if you are in perfect health living in a tropical paradise and dont eat fish, CFL lamps are probably your choice.
IMO, stock up on them incandescent lamps, or bite the bullet on LEDs.
Lastly, dig a little deeper when researching the "green" alternative. There is a reason the top web search results are manufacturers' web pages.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK someone mentioned Rough Service bulbs-a guy who worked @ Home Depot on Cambie St showed me they still carried those but were all out he said they sell fast-so I picked some up @ Canadian Tire who also carry them.

Not the perfect bulb for the job just better than the expensive POS fluoros.

If your stuck buying the cfl's go for the bright white ones. They "seem" to throw as much light as the incandecent bulbs, but with a light closer to daylight. (I find the daylighters overly blue). I find the standard cfls are way too yellow and way to dim. Monty

Back