SeaStar Steering

Labman2

Questions to Kelly, and/or any others who may have gone this route.

From the Teleflex web site, it appears I require several diffrent parts to run a main (cabin) and a secondary (stern) SeaStar system.
Do you remember if the following part #s will work, not having too much luck talking to dealers out here, no one has ever done it! Besides the fact that they all order from Western Marine and the prices I have been quoted seem NUTS!

1) HK6400A Standard Helm w/o Hoses.
2)HH5271 Front Mount Helm
3)HH5261 Rear Mount Helm
4)HA5419 20* Wedge Kit
5)HA5408 Drain Kit
6)HF5502 Add A Station

Thanks in advance;
Mark

If the people your talking with have never done this, you probably shouldnt be working with them. Also, western martine is a rip off. Order from somewhere else and the cheapest you will get is on line, even ebay or stores from the south east states.

The only thing you need, in addition to a second helm, is
Dual Helm Fitting Kit - Teleflex Marine

Part # HF5502

• Contains fittings for adding a steering station or an autopilot to existing SeaStar stern drive steering system
  • Allows use of SeaStar nylon tubing (with SeaStar 1.7 helms only)
  • Includes non-vented fill plug for lower station helm

and thats only 50$ from iboats.com
a complete stering kit with 1 helm and steering cylinder is $650 on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...3049420QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

and 1 more helm online ive seen as cheap as 240$.
So you should be able to have it all in your hands for under 1000$. Im guessing locally guys are quoting you $2000+ right?

A little more than that actually, $1360.99 just for the basic HK6400A, $565.50 for the HH5271 (I think it should be the 5261),$157.74 for the HF5502 Add A Station! That's without hoses. or the 20* dash mount.

Thanks for the link, the 6400A is on it's way!!!!!!!!!! $712.00 to my door!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
do youself a favour and get hand pump to fill the system from the lowest point, have your boat nose high and set up a two bleeder tubes, one for each helm. use clean burbing cans and keep recycling the oil that burps out,..air traps bring the suck.

thx

im installing one as well , exc info

this years upgrade , 1000W of Subs
stainless scuppers and through hulls
ball valve on the stock Intake pump
2 - 6 volt Golf Carts in series for all my gadgets..

last , Hopefully the additional helm , if i don't run outta time

pullin her over in a few weeks.. cant wait ......

fd

Good idea going with the 5261 rear helm. I put a 5271 as my rear helm and its a little stiff with the small wheel.

Id also reccomend turfing the stock nut and getting a 5/8 NF stainless jam nut. (wont rust). You may need to call around to find one. I ordered 10.

glad to help! post up some pics of the install! if adding the second station is easy i think im going to do that to my boat aswell.

Redden net has them, also Daigle Marine in Campbell river as well. I paid almost 200$ for my 6", a bit of a rip off.

Lots of good info, thanks guy's. I managed to save quite a chunk of change by ordering off line. I did try to buy locally, here and from B.C. suppliers, but I was getting hosed!!
I am still web surfing for the small wheel and I will post my results, $200.00 is WAY too much!!!!!!!!

There are 3 Boat places in Edmonton area, that are listed on Teleflex's website as DEALERS. They all quoted the same prices that I posted. When I questioned one of them, I was told that yes they were dealers, but they all had to order through WESTERN MARINE!!!!
What a rip off!
I have the 6400A coming from Ont. delivered to my door for about $600.00 less than I could get it here, I have the Add A Helm coming from First Choice Marine in Missiori delivered for less than 1/2 what I was quoted here!
Still looking for the other items in need, but you can bet I'll find them cheaper online!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thx IFL
I actually have a friend that works for teleflex locally,
has HELPED me out huge in the past , he just needs part numbers ,

I currently have a Seastar Hydraulic on my twins on the Striper , i am just leaving to the boat now , will see if i can get the model of my Seastar,

just to get an idea , I have a flat spot available for the new helm and wheel on the Port side, in the back by my Live well , appx 10. x 10in. , it would be facing the sky , drill the recommended hole required for the new helm , hydr line connections would now be made below the the cutout , concealed ,
I'm thinking 2 new lines would have to integrate somewhere into the existing 2 lines ?? near the Ram on the motors ? anywhere in the existing , with t conns ?? anyone have pics perhaps , ??

again , thx in advance

do you by chance know the manufacturer of the mini wheel , hoping to find it here in Van... ???

Felix

just trying to see how much of a headache this could be ?

i really would like to make it happen.

Again , Jeff's Grady planted the seed , have you or anyone seen his mini wheel , it's exactly what i need

You will need the HH5261 secondary helm pump, and the HF5501/HH5502 Add A Helm, it includes all the Elbows and 3/8 Hose connectors plus a non-vented plug and 15' of the clear hose.

Felix, once you have a second helm you will never go back. Good idea to mount your throttle controls near the rear helm so you have full control where you are fishing. Really helps to quickly move the boat around when you have a fish spin around on you. Only issue I have experienced is the rear helm can pull some hydraulic fluid out of the system so it needs to be topped off once in a while.

thx Pat

ya , ive already got my remote installed in the back , cats butt , love it , so easy getting the boat in troll with the electric start and tilt , spoke to my friend at Teleflex , looks like I'm going for it this season , will be cool to be back there in the sun when i want now,,,

you dogs still talkin Derby for Easter ?? I'll be there that wknd , or the one after for sure , weather dependent , last week SUCKED.
WETTTT.......it was..

Mills boys were into some fish this week.. we had a few yung-ins closer to the Nook last weekend , nothing large..
Didn't find any stray pops on ur dock : )
went for a drive by ,a close-up look , Great Place n Location..

fd

Searun you are right about that

(Only issue I have experienced is the rear helm can pull some hydraulic fluid out of the system so it needs to be topped off once in a while. )

simple soultion though here is pics of what I did no problem now works flawlessly I have a holder up inside of my wire cuddy box an all is hidden works GREAT....

Good luck Wolf

Attachments

• SOOKE salmon 2010 001.jpg
    SOOKE salmon 2010 001.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 73
  • SOOKE salmon 2010 002.jpg
    SOOKE salmon 2010 002.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 69
Back