Seals in the lower Big Q

R

RVP

...went for a drive to watch the waves along the coast today after we finished all of our deliveries late this afternoon. We stopped at the inland hiway bridge that crosses the Big Q to see if we could spot any waves of fish traveling up river from the chuck. Yep, spoted quiet a few fish along with four big seals making havoc on all the poor little salmon. Totally brutal thrashing and harassment of these home bound salmon. It was intriguing and very interesting to watch, but very sad at the same time.

Well, but hey, that's nature for ya...

Cheers,
RVP. ;)

is the big Qualicum in parksville? what kind of salmon were running up it. are you aloud to fish there?

thanks

kingfisher10

thanks for the info..i only fly fish so thats good for me

I got picked up in Comox yesterday so we stopped by the big q and little q hatcheries on the way back the big q was alot more interesting there was a school of 50-60 chinook holding just under the bridge and some biggies in the tank the guy was saying they already have all the chinook they need so it looks like a good return for that river, the little q was closed and the water level was super low, anybody know anything about that? just wondering if the big q is a later spawn than the little q.

Back