Steelhead Predation - Seals in the Cowichan - post your pics!

Personally I can tell you one of the biggest threats the Vedder is facing is the **** poor fish handling and losers getting pictures at any cost to the fish!

Why the government not pushing for putting 3or 4 pipes in the lake and go over the weir ,what the fish like is the cooler water from the bottom of the lake there is 20 miles of water ,if you raise the weir the water leavel the water will be in the trees around the lake and people would begetting there land flooded at the winter times

No I did not take video. I went a trip for summer runs and saw the same seal in the same pool chasing fish for the entire 48 hours I was camped nearby. This was a small wild run in a lower tributary of a system that cannot handle that kind of targeted attack. These are fish that have survived the rigors of becoming an adult steelhead in 2018, to return to low, clear water and a seal who found a bounty of trapped steelhead surviving on body fat and waiting to spawn.

I don't blame them, its only smart tactics. Why would I chase a full grown salmon or steelhead in an open ocean when I can chase a salmon in a tight funnel?

@Fishmyster I don't disagree that other animals attack and eat salmon and steelhead in the river as I've witnessed otters on my home river attacking salmon in the hatchery intake pools, and I've seen them walking off with them. I've seen a Bobcat carrying off a sockeye as well. You'd have to be incredibly naïve to think these seals are in the river during peak migration ONLY, and are targeting BUT NOT catching these migrating fish.

So @Fishmyster , in your opinion, what are these seals doing so far up freshwater waterways?

My thoughts exactly.
Those seals are trying to catch fish just like you are. Who does more damage to the future steelhead populations, seals, otters, mink, birds or you? If seals could talk they would blame you, otters, mink and birds. If birds could talk the would blame seals, otters mink and you...........and so on.

I personally blame nobody for the change in environmental chemistry conditions that killed off the productivity starting with bacterial decomposition, insects and so on up the food chain. Without supporting ecology there can be no fish. Nobody is to blame for that. All the predators that have evolved with steelhead are suffering from the fish decline too. I am optimistic in that as the chemistry has been improving there will be enough supporting ecology to create fisheries for all of us and predators to enjoy bountiful harvests. Here's to hoping!!

If I was allowed to harvest seals, mink, birds or otters I would be doing so to help steelhead because I like steelhead more than the rest.

Personally I can tell you one of the biggest threats the Vedder is facing is the **** poor fish handling and losers getting pictures at any cost to the fish!
Please tell me who causes more damage? Is it the two people who catch and release 100 fish and angle 5 days per week or is it the two people who fish five days per year to catch 10 steelhead which they take photos of??

Wildmanyeah posted a picture of a steelhead that looks like a seal almost made a meal of yet it survived to be comfortable enough to feed and get caught. Do you think the guys getting photos on the Vedder are causing more lethal damage than that? Have a look at the Gold river thread. There are some hero pictures there. Do those fish look like they are going to die because we photographed them?

Any angling method produces mortality.
Have yet to hear of one that has died this year with the Vedder brood stock program and the anglers who are using good c and r techniques.:rolleyes:;)

Your fish in your pics ? Who knows the mortality of them? You would think that with how many fish you Have caught the fishes well being should be your number 1 priority. What I do know that as an angler, I will try and reduce my impact on the fish I am targeting.
-zero out of water time
-zero flopping around in the shallows
- fish handled and released into deep water.
And im sorry I understand you are not familiar with the new age LM angler...the 10 fish that the hero angler.catches beaches on the rocks, bear hugs and then is held out of the water for a minute or 2 is in way worse than how ever many I hook and release in a season.
It's obvious that if anybody or any argument doesn't buy into your insect ecology thoughts, you have an issue with it.

Last edited:
Pretty funny seeing the snorkellers a few weeks ago and none of them are looking in the fast water and the river is a **** trickle, most of the fish are tucked away in the rapids and heavy water right now.

Fact- Brought well over a 100 steelhead to hand on the Vedder this season between me and my friend, not one has had a FRESH wound on its body from predation....
That’s a pretty good season, you must be on the water a lot. How many of those hundred were wild? Not trying to pry but would be interested to know. You don’t keep any hatchery ones to eat?

I have seen no seals this season on the cowichan like I have in seasons past (2017 was brutal had a fish taken off my line above 70.2) just my experience I didn't get out much until feb though.

There are definitely harbour seals that enter several rivers following migrating salmon/steelhead. It is nothing new. I have read accounts of this being normal from nearly a century ago. What is perhaps new is the extreme ups and downs in water levels that we now experience and are to blame for. I do agree of a cull of those particular seals that have made targeting salmon made available due to our actions, whether it be low water or mass fry outputs by hatcheries. Seals are smart, and will teach these habit to their offspring.
I believe a tradition first nations hunt should be done in lieu of some of the non traditional hunts they now partake.

There are definitely harbour seals that enter several rivers following migrating salmon/steelhead. It is nothing new. I have read accounts of this being normal from nearly a century ago. What is perhaps new is the extreme ups and downs in water levels that we now experience and are to blame for. I do agree of a cull of those particular seals that have made targeting salmon made available due to our actions, whether it be low water or mass fry outputs by hatcheries. Seals are smart, and will teach these habit to their offspring.
I believe a tradition first nations hunt should be done in lieu of some of the non traditional hunts they now partake.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1864653340315808/?ref=share

Why the government not pushing for putting 3or 4 pipes in the lake and go over the weir ,what the fish like is the cooler water from the bottom of the lake there is 20 miles of water ,if you raise the weir the water leavel the water will be in the trees around the lake and people would begetting there land flooded at the winter times

I agree that water is definitely an issue on many streams on the coast. It is also obvious that seals are not the only issue here, and i am open to the idea that they may not have been the reason for the demize. but with very few numbers left as a result of all the issues, seals become a much more important one, and they take a bigger bite out of a smaller population.

Coldwater intakes in the Cowichan is not a terrible idea, but taking the lake down lower and lower during the summer is not the greatest, as this will have impacts on lake shore Coho rearing areas as the water is moved away from riparian vegetation. I will also point out that increased lake storage will have little to no effect on maximum high water in winter, lake shore property will have slightly less foreshore area only in the summer, that is often land that they don't even own.

But overall as far as water quantity the Cowichan is excellent due to the storage and management of water, more recently temperatures are becoming more significant problem.

Back